8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

AEM Cold Air Intake Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006
WLH
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WLH is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a perfomrance gain. Dyno's have shown that CAI's like AEM and FUJITA have up to 10 hp at the wheels in the 3000-4000 range. Horsepower gains are around 3-5hp from 4000-5500 and 2000-2500. Anything below or above that is the same as stock. I am guessing that a exhaust upgrade woudl improve gains over 5000 rpm. As for short ram intakes. They can potentially give you more mid - top end power but also use air form under the hood. Being that the engine compartment is not very large on the new civics I would guess that temputures under the hood would not be ideal for the short ram intakes. I have not run thermometer myself though so it is purely a guess. When I purchased my CAI there were no short ram style intakes listed. As far as noise...mine only really gets noisey between 3000-4500 rpm and mostly only under load. The reset of the time it is not even noticeable. I recently made a trip through the mountians (Langley, BC to Osoyoos, BC for those familiar with highway 3a) and I was able to accelerate up the long, long grades when a previous trip only a month prior to the CAI required me to down shift for any acceleration. Made my trip that much more fun. I am doing suspension next and maybe exhaust.....although brakes would be nice...just need some one to produce them.
Old 09-17-2006
Registered!!

jpmertz is an unknown quantity at this point
I have read all of your information and has been very useful. I still had a question for anyone with an 2006 SI. Does anyone have a AEM short ram air or a AEM CAI cold air intake? Does either one require any form of cutting or anything that I could not do by myself. Also, is it worth an extra hundred dollars for the cold air intake. THANKS!
Old 09-18-2006
Registered!!

MordeKyle is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont have the si, but, i do know for a fact that there is no cutting or anything of the sort to install on of these. they are advertised as the easiest thing to do to a car. AEM actuly has an article of like an 8 year old installing one.

yes, it is worth your money to buy the cai over the sri. the sri may give you gains and will give you sound, but the cai will definantly give you gains and sound. the cai is designed to bring in "cold" or colder air into the engine, rather than the air coming from the engine bay itself. its kinda like driving your car at night when the tempurature has dropped. the engine has more pep and a little more power, along with a great sound to match it. personally i think the sri is a waste of money. if your going to do the mod might as well do the mod right.

oh, and if you need a little advise getting the OEM air system out, be sure to ask, its a bear.

i hope this helped you out, please ask if you have any more questions
Old 09-19-2006
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
Cai Way Better Than Short Ram

The Whole Idea Of Getting Power From An Intake Is To Take In More Air And Colder Air. A Short Ram Intake Sits In The Engine Compartment Where The Air Is Warmed By The Motor, Opposed To A Cold Air Intake Where The Intake Goes Down Under The Motor Right Behind The Left Front Fog Houseing, Which I Cut Out For Direct Air Passage. For The Cold Air Intake You Dont Really Have To Move Vacuum Lines There Are Spots On The Intake Where The Hoses Will Plug In And Aem Gives You All The Hoses You Need And Great Instructions, Total Install Took Me An Hour, Of Course Im In My Fifth Year Of Working For Honda But Really Its Very Simple And More Beneficial To Get A Cold Air Intake.

ALSO THE REASON THE GAINS ARE BIGGER AROUND 4000 RPMS IS BECAUSE OF THE V-TEC, HONDA V-TEC IS SET TO KICK IN AROUND 4200 RPMS ON THE INTAKE SIDE, THUS COLD AIR INTAKE HAS BIGGER GAINS WHEN THE V-TEC KICKS IN.

V-TEC IS A MODERN MARVEL
Old 09-24-2006
Registered!!

d3crypt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 02si
SO YOU ARE SAYING THAT IF I INSTALL A COLD AIR INTAKE TO MY CAR WOULDNT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE PERFORMANCE BUT THE SHORT RAM INTAKE WOULD??? WHATS THE POINT THEN? THE NOISE THEY MAKE??
The less restrictive intake is best utlized when you have a less restrictive exhaust and/or other modifications to compliment the better airflow. Either way, you're gonna see a difference in gas mileage (for the better) and horsepower (for the better)
Old 09-26-2006
Registered!!

Wadely is an unknown quantity at this point
Its Like A Diet, You Can Eat Healthy All You Want And Yes It Will Help, But You Need To Exercise As Well For Everything To Work.
SO YEA GET THE INTAKE AND IT WILL HELP TAKE MORE, AND COLDER AIR IN, THEN GET EXHAUST SO YOU CAN GET RID OF IT FASTER.
THATS ABOUT AS SIMPLE AS I CAN PUT IT

ALSO THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A WARM AIR INTAKE, ITS CALLED A SHORT RAM INTAKE, YOU ALWAYS WANT COLDER AIR, ITS JUST THE THE SHORT RAM INTAKE SITS IN THE ENGINE BAY AND SO THE AIR IT DOES GET IS SOMEWHAT WARMED BY THE TEMPS OF THE ENGINE, THAT IS WHY A COLD AIR INTAKE IS BETTER, IT MOUNTS LOWER AND BEHIND THE GRILLE FOR MORE DIRECT COOLER AIR FLOW
Old 08-11-2007
Performance Parts

KaotiK TrendZ is on a distinguished road
Re: AEM Cold Air Intake Installed!

ok, from my butt dyno, here is the stats.

I had the AEM SRI first, then bought the AEM CAI for comparison. I ended up selling the CAI and installing the SRI. Now I have the Fujita SRI (wrinkle black) installed and have to sale my AEM SRI.

Results: The SRI felt like it had a better take off and low end increase. The CAI had a worse take off, but improved across the midrange. I have a DCRH, which improves the midrange hp tremendously, so I went back to the SRI for a better take off and low end.

Plus there is debate about the CAI actually not cooling the air as much as everyone thinks, due to the fact that the engine coolant runs throught the throttle body, which in turn reheats the air. so, I just put my SRI on and leave the lower portion of the factory intake tubing in place to help cool off the area around the SRI filter.

Let me know if anyone wants to buy intakes. I can beat most everyones prices. Shoot me a PM.
Old 08-12-2007
Registered!!

firmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nice

I had no idea so many members of 8thcivic.com were over here.. nice.
Old 08-12-2007
Performance Parts

KaotiK TrendZ is on a distinguished road

Me either.

Oh, I forgot to mention in my previos post, I have an 06 Si. The AEM CAI tube will rub the fender wall which causes a bulge in the fender wall. You have a few options to run the cai: cut the fender wall, cut the metal piece on the inside that shoves the tube out, or leave the bulge. Again, I prefer the SRI over the CAI, after having both. I can get you a good deal on either one.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

///Bruce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WLH
The longer "cold air" intakes increase the horsepower by providing fresh cool air to the engine. Also, they are less restrictive then the stock air cleaner box. Better performance and economy. The "short ram" intakes do not pull air from a cooler source (like under the bumper) but pull air from the engine compartment. They have the potential to produce more power. However, if the engine compartment temptures are too high, the power gains may be lost.
You mentioned both performance and economy. I'm from an old camp that suggests minimal performance and a drop in economy. Mind you, I'm NOT saying you're wrong. But, aside from the manufacturer's claims, can you truly state that your mpg went up and not down?

Reason for asking is that I own an M3 and have installed an aFe CAI (stage 1). It sounds good at around 7-8K rpm and the butt-factor says it's faster, but my mileage did go down about 1-1.5 mpg.

Let me know, please. Because if it really does increase the mpg, I can justify letting my son install one on his new Si. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2008
Registered!!

///Bruce is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hilorains
Seen the debate about Warm Air Intakes (WAI) v. Cold Air Intakes (CAI) in other forums. I tried both in my Altima. Not having access to a Dyno to get actual HP measurements, I really couldn't sense a difference. However, the big issue about a CAI is water ingestion. I know AEM sells a bypass valve and I assume it did not come with kit.
I can vouch for the fact that a 'short' CAI in hot weather (I live in Houston) causes heat soak to the entire assembly and the car really slows down in heavy traffic. Until you get up to speed and things start cooling off, it's a drag (no pun intended). You want to pull air directly from the outside if possible and insulate everything as best as possible to prevent this from occurring.
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

User 061820 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok, sorry once again guys...kill me, just stab me :P
at least I'm bumping and not posting something new

Great questions HondaLuke.

I have an 07 civic lx auto and would like to know about the aem with hydrolock. I'm in houston, and if you live around here, you know how crazy the weather can get.
1) I've driven through a couple of puddles in my time, some that have caused me to "bank" (or when I hit the puddle, on the right side of the road, it turns my wheels for me), would that be a problem, even IF I get the bypass for the AEM?
2) Has anyone installed an aem with the bypass, or without one?
3) Since I have an auto, is it feasible to get a CAI, I have no engine space...take a look.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...d-block-2.html

I would love a D.I.Y if it is feasible to install a CAI, I'll search for it, and if nothing, maybe MordeKyle can post something? I am a noob at car modding (engine modding, and I wish I knew more)
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

ok, sorry once again guys...kill me, just stab me :P
at least I'm bumping and not posting something new

Great questions HondaLuke.

I have an 07 civic lx auto and would like to know about the aem with hydrolock. I'm in houston, and if you live around here, you know how crazy the weather can get.
1) I've driven through a couple of puddles in my time, some that have caused me to "bank" (or when I hit the puddle, on the right side of the road, it turns my wheels for me), would that be a problem, even IF I get the bypass for the AEM?
2) Has anyone installed an aem with the bypass, or without one?
3) Since I have an auto, is it feasible to get a CAI, I have no engine space...take a look.

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/4...d-block-2.html

I would love a D.I.Y if it is feasible to install a CAI, I'll search for it, and if nothing, maybe MordeKyle can post something? I am a noob at car modding (engine modding, and I wish I knew more)
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

shoot sorry for double, um, im on a laptop and it was slo
I'm kind of impatient sometimes

delete one for me please