8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 Honda Civic defect - rattles

Old 08-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terry Wright is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic

Originally Posted by StickShiftDrifter
Is your car Automatic or Manual?
If it is Manual, did you let the engine run on low RPM's?
Low RPMs still count in an automatic. You might be wondering if a have to "lug" the eingine in a standard; I can see where vibrations would set up in that case. But I have an automatic. I drop the rpms to remove engine noise to hear clearer and to locate the sound.

Hope that helps,

Terry
Old 08-12-2006
Registered!!

seattle911 is an unknown quantity at this point
An update:

New strut came in and was installed today.
Noise in the left front seems to be gone, based on initial test driving.
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

marichi is an unknown quantity at this point
same problem

Hi there...I had that same rattle most audible at speeds below 20mph. It was a continuous rattling sound coming from the front/ I heard it the second day I got my brand new car-took it to the shop and they returned it to me after 4 days. Struts were the problrm they said. OKay, drove the car home, after 30 mins---there it went again, that same sound. I took the car back to the shop and it stayed there for 10 days b/c Honda techs there did not know what to do. They had to call Honda Corp engineers for help/ After 1 day, Honda called them back telling them to put a shim on the struts.

Know what, after that, the car was never the same again. It still had some rattle, although not continuous as before...but more audible over bumps. Called BBB and Honda Corp to complain.

Then I started looking online to see if other people had the same problems. Honda Corp tried to "settle" by giving me 8 yr/100,000 warranty on the car if I "release" them from state and federal laws related to front strut failures on a new car. My judge friend told me not to sign anything, so I just traded it in.

It looks like a problem. A good company mechanic told me that the way they built the new Civic was that they put the front wheels too close to the steering wheel that so much noise is bounced back from it. Whatever, I am rid of it now. Good luck with your car.

Make sure you document everything and take names down. Write to the BBB just to get a case open, they will actually contact your dealer and the manufacturer and send you a letter in 2 weeks about the status of your case. Get in touch with Honda Corp too - you will be assigned a case manager who will be contact your dealer. Remember, the lemon law is 4 times in the shop or the first 15,000mi with problems or 30 days of not being able to use the car functionally. Protect yourself.
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

Car is doing great after extensive driving post repair. Apparently the strut was indeed the culprit.

We will see how this issue others are reporting with the defective engine mount goes.
Old 08-22-2006
Registered!!

mckoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow!

I just bought my wife a 06 civic and have not heard that noise but will be looking for it.

Whats the update on your car Terry Wright?
Old 08-23-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny, my car went back twice for this issue with the noise in the front and both times they could find nothing.

I think the dealers on Long Island are a bunch of dim wits who know nothing about the new civics.

My car won't touch a dealer until 10,000 miles, have 4000 plus now unless something real serious happens.

By that time, they should know how to fix all the freakin noises my car has, to many to mentino.

Overall I love the car but regardless of price, a new car should be as perfect as they can.
Old 09-02-2006
Registered!!

PreDaToR is an unknown quantity at this point
Fancy of you to mention about the price. In Malaysia a Honda car is consider one of the luxury cars.
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

imported_CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
WHat are your build dates for your cars with the rattles? On the inside drivers door it should have 4 numbers i.e. 03/06.
Old 09-08-2006
Registered!!

Update

Originally Posted by mckoy
I just bought my wife a 06 civic and have not heard that noise but will be looking for it.

Whats the update on your car Terry Wright?
My update is I wait until Honda figures out the solution for the defect. They tell no longer than 18 months but probably within a year.

So - I wait. Others have asked my build date. I will post that today. FYI.
Old 09-08-2006
Registered!!

follow up

Originally Posted by seattle911
An update:

New strut came in and was installed today.
Noise in the left front seems to be gone, based on initial test driving.
Seattle thanks for posting your update. Indeed I had a strut noise initially and the strut replacement solved that. However, the mount rattle sings merrily on. I wait for Honda solution - hopefully this time next year.

Terry
Old 09-17-2006
Registered!!

My build date is 06/06. My wife's EX Sedan has a build date of 07/06.
She has had no problem with the struts.

Overall, I am satisfied at this point with 1000 miles on my Civic. I have heard a rattle from the right front but only when I go over VERY rough bumps. I will be monitoring this to see if it gets worse. This, I suppose, could be the engine mount issue. Will update if things change.
Old 09-23-2006
Registered!!

d3crypt is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I have heard this too... but I noticed it on the interstate... sounds like very thin metal vibrating or something... I perceive it to come from the door hinge area... but sounds like that are funny to place.
Old 12-06-2007
Registered!!

Sibaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2006 Honda Civic defect - rattles

Did you have them check the tranny case or the bearing case? I had a mad squeak in my accord for a while, took it into my boyfriend's dad who is a tec and he cleaned up my pivot ball and replaced the fluid with stuff called BG Synchro Shift Synthetic fluid..and like i said lubed up the shift ball. the car is a 1996 with the original tranny. I could hear the squeak from inside the car and out and something this simple changed it when Honda thought I needed the whole tranny and clutch replaced.