8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

First oil change and viscosity meter

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pico is an unknown quantity at this point
First oil change and viscosity meter

Well, I hit 5k and decided it was time to make time and change the oil (even though the viscosity meter still was at 40%). I took the advise of some others on this forum and went synthetic. So in went the Valvoline Synpower 5w30 and a Pure One filter. I have to say praise to the Honda engineers who made this the easiest car Ive ever changed oil on. A vertical filter unobstructed and right next to the plug. It couldnt possibly be that easy! Someone better get fired over this! The average joe just might go back to doing his own oil changes again.

So after I topped her off and started her up, I jumped in and brought up the viscosity meter. It was still at 40% after the new oil was in. I opened the manual and it tells you how to reset the meter. But why do you have to do this? Shouldnt it know the viscosity has improved when you put the new oil in? What gives? Anyone know?
Old 06-21-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
from what i gather, either, it only senses when it decreases... or it goes by mileage... gm just sets milage in the computer and it tells you when to change the oil.. but it also says oil life not oil viscosity.. so idk what's up w/ the honda's... maybe ask the dealer
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

Another Honda is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

The oil change meter doesn't measure oil viscosity. It is simply a timer which alerts the driver that an oil change is "necessary" there by encouraging the car owner to visit the dealership for an oil change. With the level of competition between dealership sales departments more dealers are heavily marketing sales through parts and services.

Another revenue promoting gimmick is the "Scheduled Maintenance Visit" where the oil and filter is changed and the service tech "inspects" various and sundry components. Imagine, you pay the dealership to look at your car. It gets you to the dealership and allows them the opportunity to recommend products which improve their margin. And who knows, while your waiting, you may even visit the showroom - providing additional traffic for the sales staff to work with... and you pay them for the opportunity.

$$$
Old 06-25-2006
Registered!!

The sales guy definetly told me it measured viscosity because I was impressed to hear that. If its just a timer, why would it still read 40% at 5000 miles? Doesnt the Honda recommend 7500 miles for oil change?
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Pico, unless you are using a full synthetic oil, 7500 miles on a conventional oil even with a high quality filter is way to long.

I use in my other cars (did not reach my 3000 for first change on the civic yet) a synthetic blend with a high quality filter and change at every 5000.

Will do the same for the civic.
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

true... i believe your'e right then.. i would say go to honda to have the service dept. explain all the ins and outs of this system....
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

jhwee is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I'd imagine the oil life % is measured by mileage or time. Great info though!
Old 06-30-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by kero
Pico, unless you are using a full synthetic oil, 7500 miles on a conventional oil even with a high quality filter is way to long.

I use in my other cars (did not reach my 3000 for first change on the civic yet) a synthetic blend with a high quality filter and change at every 5000.

Will do the same for the civic.
I totally agree and would never go beyond 3000 miles on a conventional oil in the past. I had thought the manual said 7500 for regular schedule and 5000 for harder climates.

And yes Im running Valvoline syn power full synthetic and Purolater PureOne filter, but still planning on changing every 5k. I havent seen any improvements in mpg with the synthetic so Im not sure if its worth it. But Ill run it for a while to see.
Old 06-30-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pico
I totally agree and would never go beyond 3000 miles on a conventional oil in the past. I had thought the manual said 7500 for regular schedule and 5000 for harder climates.

And yes Im running Valvoline syn power full synthetic and Purolater PureOne filter, but still planning on changing every 5k. I havent seen any improvements in mpg with the synthetic so Im not sure if its worth it. But Ill run it for a while to see.
Pureones are awesome, I use them as well, well worth the little extra money over a conventional frame, etc.
Old 07-02-2006
Registered!!

I always used Fram or regular Puralator for many years. When I got my RX8, I started to read up on filter quality and such. I read an independent test on oil filters once and the fram was the worst. The Pure One was rated extremly high and the cost is reasonable compared to its competitors like K&N. Plus they are nicer looking than that orange crush can!
Old 07-17-2006
Registered!!

torched is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with the Pure One. I have a new Civic EX coupe. Planning on changing to synthetic, though going with 5W-20 like the manual recommends. Doing it for mileage and I run synthetic in our 06 Vette.

Wondering what everyone thinks about how soon you can change to synthetic? Is it ok to do it right away? She has about 1300 miles on her, I usually like to make the first oil change early.

Also looking for a good air filter, any recommendations? All this done to get even better mileage, not really looking to soup the thing up.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

K&N filter all the way... i dont care what ppl say about "air hogs are the same" accell filters are the same etc etc.. k&n owns all....
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 05blkrs
K&N filter all the way... i dont care what ppl say about "air hogs are the same" accell filters are the same etc etc.. k&n owns all....
Do you like K&N oil filters? Alot of car guys I know like them because of the welded nut on the bottom as well as the brand quality. But the price is a little rich for my blood when you put on the miles like I do. So I run the Pure One.
Old 07-19-2006
Registered!!

we were talking baout air filters now... on my subaru, i only use subaru filters.. and i reccomend anyone use the oem filter... so honda for you guys... they designed the motor w/ that filter on it.. and they designed that filter for the honda motors... so you can't go wrong
Old 07-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 05blkrs
we were talking baout air filters now... on my subaru, i only use subaru filters.. and i reccomend anyone use the oem filter... so honda for you guys... they designed the motor w/ that filter on it.. and they designed that filter for the honda motors... so you can't go wrong
Totallty agreed, on my 05 scooby OBS, I used OEM filters as we all know they are really puralator pure ones. At least that is why I found on from the board I used to be on.

I miss my scooby (t-boned, then traded)
Old 07-30-2006
Registered!!

Terry Wright is an unknown quantity at this point
you're right and follow up

Originally Posted by Another Honda
The oil change meter doesn't measure oil viscosity. It is simply a timer which alerts the driver that an oil change is "necessary" there by encouraging the car owner to visit the dealership for an oil change. With the level of competition between dealership sales departments more dealers are heavily marketing sales through parts and services.

Another revenue promoting gimmick is the "Scheduled Maintenance Visit" where the oil and filter is changed and the service tech "inspects" various and sundry components. Imagine, you pay the dealership to look at your car. It gets you to the dealership and allows them the opportunity to recommend products which improve their margin. And who knows, while your waiting, you may even visit the showroom - providing additional traffic for the sales staff to work with... and you pay them for the opportunity.

$$$
You are right. I believed it was a viscosity meter previously too. What is note worthy is the Civic computer keeps track of driving much better than I and so the "oil life" is more meaningful to the engine. As far as nudges to get to the dealer, oil changes in this car are easy. But it is a good idea to stop in to the dealer from time to time for a check up to keep the Civic running those 250,000 miles everyone expects. So I mix the svc dept. visits with a little home care.