8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Air Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kero is an unknown quantity at this point
Air Conditioning

Peeps,

For the first time I used my AC today and I was really shocked as to how badly it performed. Even on max AC, it just did not get chilly cold.

The car did get cool but took a while.

Anyone else have any comments on this.

My friend has a 2000 accord EX and he says his AC is lacking as well.
Old 05-28-2006
Registered!!

Shishpanik is an unknown quantity at this point
My AC in my EX turns on really quickly and is really good. I dont know maybe since its smaller (the coupe) that might be making a difference?
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

imported_Tricky is an unknown quantity at this point
How hot is it where you are?
In a new car it really should be almost instant anyway, despite outside heat.
I would have it looked at.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
hondas are known for a/c not working propperly on new vehicles.. take it in and get it fixed.. and don't listen if they say it's not broken.. it is... i had a mazda that had an a/c leak after 1k miles... they fixed it easily
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

Guys, I guess I will call the dealer where I bought my car and see how it goes from there.

Thanks.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

anteater is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 05blkrs
hondas are known for a/c not working propperly on new vehicles.. take it in and get it fixed.. and don't listen if they say it's not broken.. it is... i had a mazda that had an a/c leak after 1k miles... they fixed it easily
Really? I didnt know Honda had that problem.
Why are they like that??
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

I guess what I meant to say is that compared to some other makes of cars, hondas AC's tend to be cold but not freezing cold.

I can't tell you why but I know from experience and my friends car when he got his new in 2000.

Even my wife's 05 corolla does not nearly get as cold as let's say the 05 subaru impreza I just traded in for my civic.
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

daroga is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used the AC quite a bit this past week (stupid hot, humid Ohio) and it's been comfortable. I think the effeicency of it tends to make it not freeze-you-out-of-the-car cold, which works better for me. I'm comfortable in the car, even if it's not like the arctic, I guess I'm ok with that. We'll see what happens come mid-to-late July. Ugh...
Old 05-31-2006
Registered!!

anteater is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont like freezing cold air conditioners. Though it proves they work, you rarely use it at that level unless you're an eskimo

But yes, once the heat really comes on Im interested in hearing how long it takes for it to get cold.
Old 06-02-2006
Registered!!

bigman32hockey is an unknown quantity at this point
The A/C in my EX sedan gets feezing cold quickly. If you're having a problem, I would just bring the car into the dealer and have them take a look at it. Hey, that's why we have the warranty, right?
Old 06-03-2006
Registered!!

I will bring my car in but they always mess up something else when the fix the problem.

Dents, scratches, other mechanical problems etc.

I had plenty of experiences with toyota dealerships and their service centers and I always got the car back with a new problem when the original problem was fixed.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
AC here has been really good. It was 95 yesterday when I got in the car and it cooled down in what I thought was sufficient time. Also I almost always run the AC. In the morning I usually have to deflect the air off of me and add a couple clicks towards heat.
Old 06-04-2006
Registered!!

i never had problems w/ that at mazda.. i think you just happened to get one of those bad dealersip.. it's a luck of the draw kinda thing... if you have problems w/ one, go to a diff. one and tell them why you are there.. and they'll take even better care of you than normal.
Old 06-05-2006
Registered!!

Frantic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kero
I will bring my car in but they always mess up something else when the fix the problem.

Dents, scratches, other mechanical problems etc.

I had plenty of experiences with toyota dealerships and their service centers and I always got the car back with a new problem when the original problem was fixed.
yes seems to be a common occurance!
And when you take it back and tell them they deny it all, so how can you prove it short of putting some spy cameras in the car??
Old 06-06-2006
Registered!!

ndoelling is an unknown quantity at this point
I own an EX Coupe, MT, and have noticed instances where the a/c is not really cold, but it does get there. It seams that the cars electronics will disengage the compressor if the car is running under certain condition, my observance/opinion. This may be to help with emissions or gas mileage or power as the compressor adds to the load on the engine and reducing this at key times may help the overall system. True it is annoying to have the air all of a sudden get slightly warmer than frigid, but make sure you are testing the functionality of your system when the engine is fully warmed up and you are driving at a constant speed, aka constant rpm between 2-3k. Mine gets freakin super cold, even here in Texas with the car having been sitting in the sun in 90+F heat.

Anyone else with a MT found that accelerating out of first with the a/c on the car sometimes lags before picking up power? I’m not a fan of the fly-by-wire with a MT, but I’m getting used to it. Completely different from my 92' MT, which has 245K miles on it. It really does not like cruising at speeds below 10 mph, stop/go traffic. The throttle likes to go or no-go, not much in-between.
Old 06-06-2006
Registered!!

dubya is an unknown quantity at this point
I have no problems with my AC as of yet. I've had people tell me to turn it off because it was getting too cold.

Originally Posted by ndoelling
It really does not like cruising at speeds below 10 mph, stop/go traffic. The throttle likes to go or no-go, not much in-between.
Atleast i'm not the only one that feels that way. I'm stuck in stop/go for about 15 minutes every afternoon. I've had the car for a week now, and I'm starting to get used to how it acts.
Old 06-06-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by dubya
I have no problems with my AC as of yet. I've had people tell me to turn it off because it was getting too cold.

Atleast i'm not the only one that feels that way. I'm stuck in stop/go for about 15 minutes every afternoon. I've had the car for a week now, and I'm starting to get used to how it acts.
i agree.. it takes some getting used to.. esp once you do some breathing mods i.e. intake header muffler whatever you chose to do... the car will tend to shake when you're driving slowly.. worse than stock... but you get used to it and learn how to control it
Old 06-07-2006
Registered!!

ndoelling is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, you would think with all the fancy technology in the car they would have engineered the formulas or what ever controls this to take that into account and even out the throttle vs. pedal suppression at super low speeds. I'm also not used to the pedal being mounted to the floor. There is not a good feedback feel when pressing the pedal. Being very picky though. I love the car, sure beats a '92 with 245K miles!

Anyone else noticed with their trunk that it bends when shutting? That the rear corners are fully closed, suppressing the rubber seal, when the trunk has another 1/2" to shut? I asked the dealer to look into it today, will note findings. The trunk lid actually bends slightly when fully closed due to this.

If you buy one new, make sure to check the alignment of all the panels before leaving, my hood was slightly low on one side as well. Would never have expected the car to leave the factory with such an error.
Old 06-08-2006
Registered!!

filegumbo is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 EX-MT

I live in the horrible New Orleans heat, so I always leave my windows open for a couple of minutes to flush the hot air out if the car has been sitting for any amount of time. After that the car becomes very cold very quickly.

The thing I have been impressed with is that even with so many levels for fan speed you can notice a distinct difference on each one. It seems very precise to me.
Old 06-22-2006
Registered!!

rayraysorlo is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda's Air Conditioning Odor...

Every Honda I've owned have this issue... a bad odor coming from the vents after you finished using the air condition... I'm talking about my '06 Civic that I didn't even own for half a year yet.
Old 06-23-2006
Registered!!

Ray,

By chance once, I typed in mold in car in google and found a great article how to get rid of the smell easily without any sprays or liquids.

It had to do with driving with the vent open, putting heat on high and driving on the highway and turning the fan to high to kill the mold, if that is what is causing the problem.

Give it a try on google as I am sure there are tons of articles how to get rid of a musty smell.

Every so often on a nice day, I drive with the vent open, AC off to get some fresh air in the system.

I personally don't like the options of using sprays and or liquids like some people suggest.
Old 06-26-2006
Registered!!

Ray,

By chance once, I typed in mold in car in google and found a great article how to get rid of the smell easily without any sprays or liquids.

It had to do with driving with the vent open, putting heat on high and driving on the highway and turning the fan to high to kill the mold, if that is what is causing the problem.

Give it a try on google as I am sure there are tons of articles how to get rid of a musty smell.

Every so often on a nice day, I drive with the vent open, AC off to get some fresh air in the system.

I personally don't like the options of using sprays and or liquids like some people suggest.

I'll try keeping the fan on high, but I always drive with the vents open. It is hard for me to use the heater in the summer weather, lol.
Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rayraysorlo
I'll try keeping the fan on high, but I always drive with the vents open. It is hard for me to use the heater in the summer weather, lol.
Did you do the google search to find that technique I told you about. The heater thing is only to dry out and kill the mold.

If you find that article, it will explain everything, wish I bookmarked it.
Old 07-03-2006
Registered!!

Did you do the google search to find that technique I told you about. The heater thing is only to dry out and kill the mold.

If you find that article, it will explain everything, wish I bookmarked it.
Thanks Kero, I found a few different sites too, mostly with the same info.
Old 07-11-2006
Registered!!

millersnme is an unknown quantity at this point
AC Problem

Well I have owned the car for 7 months we went on vacation to canada and left the car home alone for 1 week... All of a sudden no AC blowing hot air.. its now been in the shop for 5 days and they still do not know whats wrong with it... at first they said pressure switch... after replacing same problem...
then they thought electrical problem told me they were tearing it all apart...
still did not find anything... so they they said they were basically replacing the entire board that runs the AC... still did not fix it... now there starting back at thinking it is a cut or crimped wire.... This is my first HONDA and I did
alot of research before buying... Im still sold on the fact that HONDA's are good cars but this is so damn frusturating... 15,000 miles on the car and there maybe some major electrical problem they cant figure out.
Old 07-11-2006
Registered!!

Sorry to hear about your problem. Remember as a last option, call the regional manager and get him or her involved. This always yeilds better results and sometimes they can call a level 2 technician in, etc.
Old 07-12-2006
Registered!!

millersnme is an unknown quantity at this point
Well The Car Is FIxed

I dont know if what they told me is true or if they are just covering themself becase it took them 6 days to figure out what the problem is. But here goes.. he says that some animal must have got into the wires and Bit (1 wire) not all of them and that was the problem.. but even though it should not be covered under the warranty they would cover it because they feel bad it took so long... Not that I doubt them but here is what I am thinking... If it truely was a animal why one wire?? and are there any animal droppings... was there a dead mouse in there?? the answer is no.. so I dont buy that ... but Im thankful they did pay for everything .. what concerns me is his last statement... if anything happens again with the AC it might not be covered becasue of the fact there trying to say it was a animal.. I did not sign anything when I picked up the car... so I did not waive my rights and do not agree it was an animal nor do they have proof.
Old 07-12-2006
Registered!!

That is one of the most unreal things I have heard but to be honest, it could have happened and probably has happened to other people but not with the AC.

They find rodents in old cars all the time. I don't know about new cars but small creatures can easily go under the car and grab an axle and get up under the hood.

The odds of finding droppings would be slim unless the darn thing was living there for weeks.

Either way, simple thing, if you car has problems again with A/C just bring it to the next nearest honda dealership and make believe the problem is brand new to you and don't inform them of anything that has happened prior.

I don't think their systems are linked but I could be wrong.

Either way, at least it's working for now.

I have never really trusted service bays at dealerships anyway!
Old 07-12-2006
Registered!!

azpinoy is an unknown quantity at this point
sup all...i just recently bought a 06 Civic LX and lovin' it...so far the AC is good...very good compared to my Scion xB, if you wanna talk bad AC then the xB's AC is poor lol

JC
Old 07-13-2006
Registered!!

That's odd about the scion as my wifes 05 corolla's AC is frigid cold, on medium.

Welcome to the board BTW!

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning