8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Considering Purchase Civic vs. Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony407 is an unknown quantity at this point
Considering Purchase Civic vs. Civic Si

Hello, everyone.

I'm seriously looking into a 2015 Civic. I fell in love with the Coupe EX-L. Pretty much the only thing I didn't care for was the measly 143 hp. Granted, I'm going to love the fuel mileage but I can't really remember the last time I had a car with such low hp & tq numbers.

As opposed as I was originally to a CVT transmission, I have to admit I was immediately smitten with this one. It was smooth and extremely responsive with the paddles (almost feels like a blip when you downshift!). I'd have a hard time telling the difference between a conventional transmission and this CVT.

Which brings me to why I'm posting today. Given that I really like the CVT but want more power, I also drove the Si. Loved the extra power but not sure I want to row my own gears (lots of city driving) and also would probably miss the leather, heated seats and auto climate control. I was wondering what I could realistically expect with some power adders to the regular Civic to give it a little extra oomph without losing any dependability. Are there some reliable tunes out there that I could use? Preferably with a handheld scanner that makes it simple to return to stock if need be? I know Civics are THE car to buy for mods, but I wanted to do some research here before I pulled the trigger. P.S. - Not really interested in exhaust/intake.

Any pointers in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tony
Old 01-13-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Considering Purchase Civic vs. Civic Si

There are always trade-offs. Power or gas mileage?

I wonder how long the CVT trans would hold up if you boosted engine power. I'm not sure that anyone has tried it yet. I think you'd have to spend a lot of coin to even get close to the power of the Si.

You might ask on a 9th gen forum? www.9thgencivic.com
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tony407 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link!

Tony
Old 01-14-2015
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

EX-L trim would be a tough compromise. Try to make the best of it.

My 1.8 gives me all the HP this old man needs, ease on the throttle and its there.
Old 01-14-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Acura ILX comes with a 2.0 R engine.
10 HP more but 12 ft-lb less than the 1.8 in the Civic, according to the Wiki entry.