8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Two Issues with 2014 Civic-EX

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crimson_pearl is an unknown quantity at this point
Two Issues with 2014 Civic-EX

Loving my 2014 Civic. However, two small issues need to be addressed.

1. TPMS light. From nearly when I drove this home, this light intermittently and incorrectly comes on and I need to reset it. More here:

http://www.hondaproblems.com/tsbs/Civic/2014/

Is there a recall for this? Will the dealer fix it for free? I bought my car 100 miles from home and haven't been to the local dealer yet.

2. Window Fog. Normally, when there is fog on the outside of windows, simply lowering and raising the windows gets rid of it. The material (rubber, whatever?) that grips the window removes the fog. Not on mine. I don't think this works on any of the 4 windows. As soon as you lower the window, the door itself seems to bow such that the window does not even touch that material. Fog stays.

Others deal with this?
Old 12-10-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Two Issues with 2014 Civic-EX

The new tpms system is very complex, you need to get in touch with dealer and let them sort it out while under warranty. Meanwhile keep an eye on tires, and pressures.

I sometimes need to push outwards on glass to clear accumulation when using that method to clear (2010)
Old 12-10-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Two Issues with 2014 Civic-EX

Loving my 2014 Civic. However, two small issues need to be addressed.

1. TPMS light. From nearly when I drove this home, this light intermittently and incorrectly
You mentioned "incorrectly", did you already check and adjust all the tire pressures?

comes on and I need to reset it.
Do you already know how to reset/relearn/initialize the system--through the IMID screen? It's in the owners manual.

That's not relevant now, those notices are long obsolete......and those are not really anything the general public can use.

Is there a recall for this? Will the dealer fix it for free? I bought my car 100 miles from home and haven't been to the local dealer yet.
There is a VERY new service bulletin (#14-042 dated Nov 28, 2014) that talks of a software update for the TPMS.
It is not a recall.

See your dealership service department to get this done, if it applies to your car. (They have to plug in "the magic box" in order to check for updates.) Hopefully your local is willing to help you....even though you didn't buy from them (why not?)

If the build date on the door jamb sticker is earlier than the bulletin date, it probably needs the software update.

Looks like the update might take a half hour or 45 minutes once it gets inside the shop.....but it could take half a day to get in the shop.
===

Here's some common stuff you probably should know:

IF the dealer tech did not remember to do the system initialization during the PDI check, the system kicks the light on within something like 20 miles.

If the temperature outside has dropped a lot since the tire pressures were set during the new car check-in (could have been done months ago when it was 90+ degrees out), then the system is doing its job---the tires are now low because the temperature (and therefore the tire pressure) has dropped since then.

Or it really has a low tire. (Did you check pressures already?)

===

Since you just got the car, take it right back and have them rectify the matter. Be sure to mention the above bulletin and ask them to make sure the car has the newest software.

After this point, it should no longer be (technically) a warranty matter.
Airing and maintaining the tire pressure is (technically) the owners responsibility.
(I'm seriously convinced that not a single car owner here is capable of understanding this and taking care of their tires. We air up tires all year long for free at my dealer, have been doing it ever since TPMS systems came out.)

===

Get out your owners manual and read up on how the TPMS system works and how to use it. Learn it, live it, love it.
Buy a quality tire pressure gauge. Not the $1 variety that you see in the checkout lane at Walmart, I mean get a good one that is halfway accurate and consistent. Cheapo gauges are usually horribly inaccurate.

Basically, every time the temperature drops a bunch that stupid light can come on because the tire pressures all dropped. (Nitrogen in the tires will not change this either, no matter what sales pitch they tell you.)

Air up the tires to the spec listed on the door jamb sticker and perform the TPMS system initialization through the IMID screen.

This initialization must be performed every time the tire pressures are adjusted, every time the tires are rotated, every time ANYTHING is changed that has to do with the tires. It's dang sensitive.
(I've seen the cars trip the light after a tire rotation in about 10 miles just because someone forgot to do the reset. Yes, it was me.)

Besides the above mentioned stuff, there are a few other scenarios where the tire pressure warning could come on even though the tires still have the correct air pressure. The owners manual explains most of them.

2. Window Fog. Normally, when there is fog on the outside of windows, simply lowering and raising the windows gets rid of it. The material (rubber, whatever?) that grips the window removes the fog. Not on mine. I don't think this works on any of the 4 windows. As soon as you lower the window, the door itself seems to bow such that the window does not even touch that material. Fog stays.
Ok now you are just whining LOL. Wipe it off.

HTH