8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

maintainance questions

Old 11-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EarleD is an unknown quantity at this point
maintainance questions

Hi everyone...

I just scheduled my 2011 lx for a full synthetic oil change and my 3rd trans service in last 3 oil changes. I figure I have now replaced all trans fluid with new Honda fluid. Going to continue with a trans service every 4th oil change. Love my civic, and since I drive about 750 miles weekly for work it a little gem. I bought the car 1 year ago with 25000 miles.

I go to Honda for all maintenance, as I have no skills working on cars. Was thinking about replacing either antifreeze or brake fluid. Both are original I believe. Which one should I do first? Car has 58000 miles.

Power steering fluid seem very easy to change myself, I might attempt this. get a turkey baster and 3 bottle of Honda brake fluid. Just suck it out of the ps "container" and refill with new. Start car and turn steering whell end to end several times. Repeat process several times> ????

Thanks a lot and happy Holidays
Old 11-25-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: maintainance questions

Brake fluid is recommended every 3 years.

Coolant isn't recommended until 10 years or 100,000 miles (MM item #5). Read the hood label, the coolant info is right on it.

PS fluid, we don't have much of a problem with the PS.....and if you do it, make sure to get the correct HONDA fluid. It is NOT ATF.

Someone posted a DIY on it the other day: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ing-flush.html
Old 11-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nelsonsdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Genuine Honda automatic trans fluid is not as good as Valvoline. I did two changes at 30 and 35K to change 3/4's of it, and the transmission is twice as good as new. Do not was money on Honda fluid. Easy way to change brake fluid is to use a turkey baster to evacuate the master cylinder tank about every other year, and refill. Don't disturb the rest of the system. The fluid will change itself over time. Been doing this with many cars for 20 years with no problem.
Old 11-25-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

Any actual data to back up those claims?
Opinions /= facts.

Just because a transmission feels smoother doesn't mean it's wearing less.
Old 11-30-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EarleD
Hi everyone...

I just scheduled my 2011 lx for a full synthetic oil change and my 3rd trans service in last 3 oil changes. I figure I have now replaced all trans fluid with new Honda fluid. Going to continue with a trans service every 4th oil change. Love my civic, and since I drive about 750 miles weekly for work it a little gem. I bought the car 1 year ago with 25000 miles.

I go to Honda for all maintenance, as I have no skills working on cars. Was thinking about replacing either antifreeze or brake fluid. Both are original I believe. Which one should I do first? Car has 58000 miles.

Power steering fluid seem very easy to change myself, I might attempt this. get a turkey baster and 3 bottle of Honda brake fluid. Just suck it out of the ps "container" and refill with new. Start car and turn steering whell end to end several times. Repeat process several times> ????

Thanks a lot and happy Holidays

Yup... exactly what I would do on any used car I purchased.
changing fluids and filters on your Honda is real easy there are
youtube videos for the do-it-your-selfer that you can watch.
You missed changing the spark plugs, air filter, and lastly cabin
air filter. again real easy to do yourself.
Old 11-30-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

^Spark plugs are 100,000 mile items in these.

Air and cabin filters, the MM will pop the reminder for them around every 25k (with the nearest oil change reminder), give or take a little.

If you drive in super dusty/dirty conditions or anything, you may need to change the filters more frequently. The Maintenance Minder cannot actually monitor anything going on in the car.