8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

For how many miles we have to change oil

Old 02-22-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sundeepreddyp is an unknown quantity at this point
For how many miles we have to change oil

Hi All,

I bought 2011 honda civic from a private party. The last oil change was done at 9,773 miles. currently it has 12,750 miles. for how many miles we have to change the oil.

how frequent we have to do oil change? every 5000 or every 3500?

Thanks,
Sundeep
Old 02-22-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: For how many miles we have to change oil

iirc your car calls for 0W in 2011+

I run 5k miles on 5W20 regular Castrol.

5K should be a cakewalk for 0W, or you could go by MM which may take you to 7500 (little much for me though)
Old 02-22-2014
Registered!!

sundeepreddyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply CraigW.

can you please tell me what is 0W. I am very new to this jargon, this is my first car and this will be my first oil change. can you explain in brief about all of these, 0W, 5W20 and MM
Old 02-22-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

3000 mile oil changes are a thing of the past, for most cars and most people these days.

Get out your owners manual. Read it from front to back. There is a ton of info in it that you really should know.

Right now, read all about the Maintenance Minder.
It will tell you when it's time to do an oil change, and many other services.

The Minder system judges when to change the oil based on the conditions you drive in and how you drive. I have seen them allow anywhere from 4000 miles to over 10,000 miles, depending on how the cars are driven.
There will be a little wrench icon pop on and the odometer display will say "15%" when it's due.

The Minder System relies on you using the correct, high quality oil that meets the proper specifications.
The Minder System depends entirely upon someone properly resetting it whenever an oil change is performed.

this is my first car and this will be my first oil change.
The car should still have warranty on it (powertrain coverage is 5 years/60,000 miles). I'd say to go to your local Honda dealer for the oil change, they should have and use all the proper oil and stuff.

Make sure they update your owner information in their system, and Hondas database. This way you will get important notices (like recalls and warranty extensions) and maybe coupons and stuff from your local dealer.

Make sure they check your VIN for any recalls that have not been done yet.

0W, 0W20, 5W20 are types of oil. MM is Maintenance Minder.
Old 02-22-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

To see what your oil life % remaining is, turn on the ignition key and repeatedly push the "select/reset" button on the left end of the dash. Watch your odometer display for a number %. It starts at 100% when reset, and counts downward by tens until it reaches 15%, then it pops on the reminders every time you start the car.
Old 02-22-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
To see what your oil life % remaining is, turn on the ignition key and repeatedly push the "select/reset" button on the left end of the dash. Watch your odometer display for a number %. It starts at 100% when reset, and counts downward by tens until it reaches 15%, then it pops on the reminders every time you start the car.
How trustworthy is that system? Sounds too good to be true.
Old 02-22-2014

Originally Posted by Poopies
It is good enough for Honda to implement it across the entire car line ever since mid-2000s.

It has its caveats, but it works for the majority of the people.
Old 02-23-2014

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Still find it strange the interval it chooses for ATF fluid service. 65k is way too long.

My olm is always at 30,40 and even 50% at 5k miles. If I ran synthetic might take it further, but that dark oil drives me crazy and it has to go at 5k.
Old 02-23-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
Still find it strange the interval it chooses for ATF fluid service. 65k is way too long.
I don't keep track of which cars do what when, but some do pop up trans serv. at 35,000ish.

My olm is always at 30,40 and even 50% at 5k miles.
You must drive further than I do on each trip. My daily commute is just under 6 miles each way, and the minder lets me go almost 5k before it pops the 15% notice.
If I actually let it run down to zero, it might be 6k.

If I ran synthetic might take it further, but that dark oil drives me crazy and it has to go at 5k.
"Synthetic" will get just as dark as regular oil in the same number of miles under the same conditions.
Old 02-23-2014
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poopies
I have it too on my civic and pay no attenetion too it. you no every
car manufacturer out there would like you to buy another vehicle
as soon as yours gives up. so why not excelerate it by having extended
oil & filter changes - wich I have never heard of doing any good to an
engine lets extend coolant intervals, transmission, and to top it off. lets
put fuel filter in the tank.

I use 5w20 Pennz Plat Puralotor syn oil filter and change it every 6,000km
the key is to change the oil&filter before it breaks down not after its
broken down and doing damage to the engine.
Old 02-23-2014

After I bought my 05 started reading of the 01-03 auto trannies early problems so decided on a 25k interval for ATF, and still continue with my 2010. (our dealer says 30k as well)

Have ran Castrol GTX for years now, will be different when going synthetic... but it will likely be a Castrol product when I do though.
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

After I bought my 05 started reading of the 01-03 auto trannies early problems so decided on a 25k interval for ATF, and still continue with my 2010. (our dealer says 30k as well)

Have ran Castrol GTX for years now, will be different when going synthetic... but it will likely be a Castrol product when I do though.
i believe the transmission issues with the early 7th gens were corrected by the 2005 model.....i have a 2005 with about 180,000 miles on original tranny, and it still shifts like the day i bought it brand new
Old 02-23-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brags
as soon as yours gives up. so why not excelerate it by having extended
engine lets extend coolant intervals, transmission, and to top it off. lets
put fuel filter in the tank.

I use 5w20 Pennz Plat Puralotor syn oil filter and change it every 6,000km
the key is to change the oil&filter before it breaks down not after its
broken down and doing damage to the engine.
There is no reason with today's oil technology to replace the oil that often. The manual for my 01 says 5k miles for severe driving and 10k for none severe. I figure I am in between that so I go 7500. The manual is using 01 oil standards and honda synthetic blend oil. New oil can take a beating.

The filter is now the weak point but the maintence light on my wife's TL says to change the filter every other oil change, that's 10k-12k miles between filter changes. Her % ranges from 5k-6k between intervals.
Old 02-23-2014

Originally Posted by brags
as soon as yours gives up.
If they give up too soon, few would return to buy the same brand.

Speaking of giving up too soon, would someone please explain why Chrysler is still in business?

so why not excelerate it by having extended
engine
I regularly see vehicles with over 200k following the MM intervals, even with a ton of neglect.

Grab an early 7th gen Civic owners manual, check out the maintenance schedules. I just looked at a 2001, it stated up to 10,000 miles (USA) for oil changes.

lets extend coolant intervals, transmission,
Todays' fluid technology is amazing.
and to top it off. lets put fuel filter in the tank.
They suck (for the customer) when there's a problem, but I haven't encountered much in the way of problems in that area.

I really hated that Honda decided to put the fuel filter down low on 97 and earlier Accords. Those sucked bad. Some were impossible to remove without serious damage.

There was a long period of time where it was commonly said that Honda knew how to build everything except an automatic transmission. That track record is what led many to adopt early fluid service intervals (IMO).

The automatic transmissions seem to have improved a lot since I started with this brand over 10 years ago (JMO).
Old 02-23-2014
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ezone

Speaking of giving up too soon, would someone please explain why Chrysler is still in business?

They make pretty looking cars and the majority of people who buy vehicles trade them in 2-3 years. Even a Chrysler should be able to make it 30-40k miles with little problems. People buying honda and Toyota buy them because they are going to put 100k miles on it.

Supposedly Chrysler has changed (buying Fiat does not help there case). Only time will tell.
Old 02-23-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GolNat
There is no reason with today's oil technology to replace the oil that often.
i agree.....

i used to change my oil every 3,000 miles, and when i drained it, it looked new like i just put it in, so i have been letting it go at least 5,000 now
Old 02-04-2016
Registered!!

Bikergofast is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am old school; changing oil by the distance on odometer not by a % life remaining. The manual is useless in this regard, for 2015 it's a dumbed down booklet that says nothing about distance driven intervals but rather leaving it entirely up to the driver to see the screen and do what it says when it says.

It's taking me alot to get used to continuing driving past the 5500km mark on the same oil since driving off the lot. Used to be the first change was the most critical one to get rid of the heaviest and biggest particles of wear. I know my motorcycle oil was full of sparkly shiny bits when i changed it the first 2 times. If I keep this civic as long as I think I will I'll probably get the oil done before the MM tells me to.
Old 02-13-2016
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bikergofast
I too am old school; changing oil by the distance on odometer not by a % life remaining. The manual is useless in this regard, for 2015 it's a dumbed down booklet that says nothing about distance driven intervals but rather leaving it entirely up to the driver to see the screen and do what it says when it says.

It's taking me alot to get used to continuing driving past the 5500km mark on the same oil since driving off the lot. Used to be the first change was the most critical one to get rid of the heaviest and biggest particles of wear. I know my motorcycle oil was full of sparkly shiny bits when i changed it the first 2 times. If I keep this civic as long as I think I will I'll probably get the oil done before the MM tells me to.

Changing out the oil & Filter on a new 2015 engine for the first few
thousand km"s is a smart decision to do many will argue the fact that
there is no need to but. i believe it is because engines when assembled at factory are coated with different lubes on such parts as the cam, or bearings, etc... to eliminate a dry start up off the assembly line.
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

Mutato is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always used my MM on my '07 Si sedan using regular oil. Still driving great at 235,000 (highway) miles. I have no idea approx mileage between oil changes.