Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2007 Civic- Spark Plugs

Old 09-10-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tbakbradley is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 Civic- Spark Plugs

I have a 2007 Civic LX. I wanted to change my plugs as I have 106,000 miles on it and am noticing less power and gas mileage. I picked up a set of AutoLite Iridium plugs from the local parts store. Since purchasing, I've read that I should NOT use the AutoLite and should use the NGK OEMs. On one thread, I read someone was quoted at $21 per plug at the dealer, and others saying you can pick them up much cheaper.

What is the NGK part I need to purchase? I called my Honda dealer and he didn't know...just that they were NGK and cost $81 for the set of 4.

Can I find the proper NGK plug at a NAPA store for cheaper? Also, do the Ignition Coils need replaced at the same time as the plugs? If so, what type and where should I purchase them?
Old 09-10-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2007 Civic- Spark Plugs

Originally Posted by Tbakbradley
On one thread, I read someone was quoted at $21 per plug at the dealer, and others saying you can pick them up much cheaper.
Yup.

Check on the internet. Plenty of dealers sell online at wholesale prices.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

What is the NGK part I need to purchase? I called my Honda dealer and he didn't know...just that they were NGK and cost $81 for the set of 4.
Factory catalog shows

IZFR6K-11S = NGK
or
SKJ20DR-M11S = DENSO

Either are acceptable.

Dealer list on either is just over $20 each. They aren't lying to you.

Can I find the proper NGK plug at a NAPA store for cheaper?
IDK, have you called and asked them?
If they don't have what you need in stock, see if they can order them for you.

Also, do the Ignition Coils need replaced at the same time as the plugs?
NO. Coils are not a big problem area.
Old 09-11-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Yup.

Check on the internet. Plenty of dealers sell online at wholesale prices.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

Factory catalog shows

IZFR6K-11S = NGK
or
SKJ20DR-M11S = DENSO

Either are acceptable.

Dealer list on either is just over $20 each. They aren't lying to you.
IDK, have you called and asked them?
If they don't have what you need in stock, see if they can order them for you.

NO. Coils are not a big problem area.
Thank you so much. They are a couple bucks cheaper per plug through amazon than NAPA online. Tried calling my local NAPA, but no answer. Will check tomorrow to see if their online price is accurate. Even so, much cheaper than going through dealer.

Is it safe to replace the plugs with a ratchet as long as I don't over tighten?
Old 09-11-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much. They are a couple bucks cheaper per plug through amazon than NAPA online. Tried calling my local NAPA, but no answer. Will check tomorrow to see if their online price is accurate. Even so, much cheaper than going through dealer.
Is NAPA the only parts store in your town? I'd think that almost any can obtain what you want, if they sell NGK. (That's just a guess though, not positive.)

Is it safe to replace the plugs with a ratchet as long as I don't over tighten?
Ratchet......as opposed to what? Pliers? A stick? Cheese?

Observe proper torque spec no matter what, and it will be hard to go wrong.

"Apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the plug threads."
Torque spec is 18 ft-lb.
Old 09-11-2013

Honestly, Autolite is one of the few brands of plugs I really haven't seen problems with in these cars. (YET.) If they were correct for the application, I might go for it.
Old 09-12-2013
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Is NAPA the only parts store in your town? I'd think that almost any can obtain what you want, if they sell NGK. (That's just a guess though, not positive.)

Ratchet......as opposed to what? Pliers? A stick? Cheese?

Observe proper torque spec no matter what, and it will be hard to go wrong.

"Apply a small amount of anti-seize compound to the plug threads."
Torque spec is 18 ft-lb.
LOL. I guess I set myself up for that one. I just have normal ratchet set, so not sure how to set or determine the torque.

NAPA is $4.33 more per plug than amazon (before tax). Only other parts store I have is Advance Auto. I'll call them too.
Old 12-15-2019
Registered!!

Mary Thornton is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2007 Civic LX. I wanted to change my plugs as I have 106,000 miles on it and am noticing less power and gas mileage. I picked up a set of AutoLite Iridium plugs from the local parts store. Since purchasing, I've read that I should NOT use the AutoLite and should use the NGK OEMs. On one thread, I read someone was quoted at $21 per plug at the dealer, and others saying you can pick them up much cheaper.

Can I find the proper NGK plug at a NAPA store for cheaper? Also, do the Ignition Coils need replaced at the same time as the plugs? If so, what type and where should I purchase them?
I had this problem with my 2007 honda civic lx as the original spark plugs went t0 156k miles. A friend of mine who works at Honda told me visit the NGK website. Boy was that a great idea. The same exact NGK model that the Honda dealerships sell for 23 bucks a pop, is only $11.46 on the NGK site itself. Here is a link to save you some time. They also have a fit checker, so you can make sure everything fits okay with your Honda. https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9849