Interior Post information/questions/Issues about Interiror Parts here.

Sun Visor split open?

Old 07-01-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flipper is an unknown quantity at this point
Sun Visor split open?

So, today I went to put my visor up from holding my windshield sunscreen and the visor split open at the hinge and doesn't stay up anymore. Has anyone else had this problem, or a way to fix it? My car isn't under warranty cause it's salvaged, but it's a 07 LX Coupe
Old 07-10-2007
Registered!!

pepis is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sun Visor split open?

The same happened to me today. I live in El Paso, TX and it get very hot in here. I noticed that the visors failed during the hottest hours of the day (the plastic gets softer) until one of them failed completely and remained spit. I'll take it to the dealer tomorrow for warranty claim.
Old 07-13-2007
Registered!!

prpmystc is an unknown quantity at this point

This happened to me last week. It got pretty hot here but I wasn't sure if the heat is what made it split. Thanks for confirmation! I'm just going to take it up to the dealer.

Last edited by prpmystc; 07-13-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2007
Registered!!

Bronwyn031 is an unknown quantity at this point

Irony is a Bizatch

I live in S. Cali and in the High Desert. A typical summer day for us here is around 105-106deg.
I own the 06' Si and have had my passenger side Visor replaced 3x's (yes count em) and my driver's side once.
Just today I got in to drive my Si to work and went to remove the carpet sized Windshield Sun Screen and <SNAP>! There splits the driver's side visor yet AGAIN
So now I have to take her into the shop for what I feel is a pretty systematic reoccurring problem.
The service department tells me this a MAJOR flaw in design and manufacturing on Honda's part and that they spend more time replacing broken visors than they feel they should have to.
I was told on the last service visit that Honda had released a newer beefier visor that should not give me anymore problems. Hmmph, yeah right!
Too top it all off, my Voice Navigation Microphone has suddenly died.
The microphone has been picking up my voice commands intermittently for about 2 weeks now and just today <Blamo> it starts acting up. Btw- this is with the vehicle buttoned up and not even moving.

Kinda reminiscent of my Dodge Srt-4 days. Dependable car for the first 3 years and then leprosy sets in and EVERYTHING starts falling off the car all at once. Except with my Si, it's barely been a full year

So don't feel bad if your sun visor suddenly decides to snap apart on you... this may just be the precursor to more sinister maintenance calamities.

B.

Last edited by Bronwyn031; 07-26-2007 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-15-2008
Registered!!

vetsac is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a 2006 Honda Civic LX, and last week the same thing happened to my passenger side sun visor. It split open just as you described, and now it will not stay up -- it just hangs down. I am in Phoenix AZ so it gets pretty hot here too.

For those of you who've had this problem, how did you get it replaced? Dealer? Replacement kit from a non-dealer shop? Junk yard replacement?

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove/replace the broken visor?

My Civic has 26,000 miles on it, but we may not have the original dealer warranty because we bought it used from a family member (he was the original owner).

Thanks for any suggestions you have on how best to replace this!

Last edited by vetsac; 05-15-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

If its like the model year just before you, there should be two screws that hold in the "swivel" portion of the mirror- the "hook" should be removable by inserting a small screwdriver via the windshield side- there is a little knotch, kind of hard to see- and it either pops out or twists out.
Old 05-15-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
If its like the model year just before you, there should be two screws that hold in the "swivel" portion of the mirror- the "hook" should be removable by inserting a small screwdriver via the windshield side- there is a little knotch, kind of hard to see- and it either pops out or twists out.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'll check that out tonight. I'm also checking on if this could be covered under warranty and if a local dealer has a replacement in stock...
Old 05-15-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Check online to see if you come across a TSB (technical service bulletin) They are for the shops use in identifying the correct way to fix issues that customers bring in.
Old 05-17-2008
Registered!!

An update... I was able to get a replacement from a local Honda dealer, and under warranty too. He also said he's had to replace way too many of these visors and confirms the crappy design by Honda that is the cause of this.

Unfortunately he said the replacement visors really have not been redesigned, so it's likely I'll be in again at some point to have this one replaced.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 09-24-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by vetsac
An update... I was able to get a replacement from a local Honda dealer, and under warranty too. He also said he's had to replace way too many of these visors and confirms the crappy design by Honda that is the cause of this.

Unfortunately he said the replacement visors really have not been redesigned, so it's likely I'll be in again at some point to have this one replaced.

Thanks for the feedback.
UPDATE: Since my last post in May '08, I have had 3 more visors split open. On 8/13/08 after the 2nd and 3rd visor split, I logged a case with Honda's support -- 1-800-999-1009. I suggest you all do the same. The support lady told me at that time that there was no fix for the visor problem, and that "perhaps a service bulletin will be issued." I told her this is a DESIGN FLAW. But she says Honda insists that this is an "environmental issue" because it's only happening in hot states, like AZ, NV, TX (according to Honda). I reiterated that this although heat is a contributing factor in this problem, it is a DESIGN FLAW. I've lived in AZ most of my life and all other cars I've ever owned have NEVER had this problem. Thus, it is a DESIGN FLAW on Honda's part.

Five days later she called me back to tell me that a service bulletin has been released, and Honda is working the problem. I asked her when the SB was issued; she said May 16, 2008. (So why didn't she know about this the first time I talked to her 5 days earlier!?) She suggested I have them replaced with a local dealer (duh!). She said she would close my case after I had them replaced (this now being the 2nd time I've had to go to the dealer to have visors replaced).

On 8/30/08, I went to Honda of Superstition Springs in Mesa, AZ to have them replaced. The service advisor told me that this is a well-known problem, they are constantly replacing visors, and that Honda has finally redesigned the replacement visors, and this is no longer a problem. So they replaced my 2nd and 3rd broken visor with the "redesigned" version. Upon closer inspection on my part, these "redesigned" visors look exactly the same to me as the original version.

17 days later, one of these "redesigned" visors splits! So now I've had 4 visors split open. I called Honda back (1-800-999-1009) and complained again and requested that my case be re-opened. I also called that dealer service advisor back and told him that these "redesigned" visors do NOT fix the problem. Of course, he said "wow, you must be the first one to come back with a broken redesigned visor."

So before I go back and waste another 3 hours in having a visor replaced (only to have it break again), now I am waiting to hear back from Honda about my most recent complaint.

Also -- check out this thread:

http://www.usrecallnews.com/2007/09/...07-models.html

There are at least 58 other people on that thread alone who also have this problem! If you're dealing with these stupid flawed-design visors, I suggest you call Honda and register a complaint!

Last edited by vetsac; 09-24-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-24-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

I can say here in Canada I've never even heard of this problem.....wonder why.....
Old 09-24-2008
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DeX
I can say here in Canada I've never even heard of this problem.....wonder why.....
because you have other problems like the snowplow and undercarriage/suspension rust problems.
Old 09-24-2008
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by armieo
because you have other problems like the snowplow and undercarriage/suspension rust problems.
And sanding truck........ I hate when I'm in the passing lane on the highway going by a dump truck and when I get next to him I realize he's spraying sand so the side of my car gets sand blasted 1000 times a second with little pebbles. Then I'm forced to either speed up and bust through it or stay behind him doing 80 on the highway until I reach my turn off.
Old 08-09-2009
Registered!!

Teasip is an unknown quantity at this point

My thanks to those of you who have experienced this problem and posting about it. Mine popped at work Friday afternoon while, surprise, removing the 30' (or so it seems) sunshade from the front windshield. I've got the sunvisor off and will see about just dropping it off tomorrow at lunch and see if I can pickup/order a new one. I wonder if they'll let me install it myself since it certainly isn't rocket science?
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

bonecrusher is an unknown quantity at this point

i have had both the drivers and passenger side visors break on my wifes car. we have owned it a little more then a year. ( 2008 civic ex coupe) dealer fixed both under warranty but charged me 6.00 for parts or some ****? they also said it was really common
Old 09-07-2009
Registered!!

Teasip is an unknown quantity at this point

They ultimately had me wait for about an hour for them to install it since it was "warranty" work. No fee charged.
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

edmcohen is an unknown quantity at this point

My visor on my `06 Civic LX coupe split at 108,000 mi. These pictures are of the fix I did by fastening the two halves of the assembly together with 1 ¼" long nylon machine screws and nuts. Note the placing of the holes, to stay clear of the steel spring assembly inside. It works fine. This is best if done before the housing splits so far as to break the plastic rod guides.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic visor 001.jpg
Views:	9389
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	77247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Civic visor 002.jpg
Views:	13348
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	77248  
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!

Greg07LX is an unknown quantity at this point

I just bought an 07 LX and according to the CARFAX report, the previous owner had the visor replaced. It's still under warranty and I took it in to something unrelated looked at and inquired about the visor, but they said it wouldn't be under warranty and said it would be $92, so I declined and will just live with it for the time being.
Old 10-07-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its very common, maybe try and fix it yourself cause i know some people have gone thru 4 sets and they will just keep opening up.
Old 10-14-2009
Registered!!

Toaster is on a distinguished road

Any one know if you can swap a 7thgen visor in? I am guessing not but thought it might be worth checking out.
Old 10-14-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nope different design
Old 10-15-2009
Premium Member

When it splits open, I'd squeeze some hot glue in there to keep it shut. Sounds ghetto but thats what I'd do.
Old 05-05-2010
Registered!!

rcanfiel is an unknown quantity at this point

SUN VISOR - if your civic visor splits, call American Honda 800-999-1009 prompt #1 Ask for extension xxxxxx (Barry) 11am-5pm EST. They are replacing mine (3rd visor now!) for free...

Last edited by gearbox; 05-25-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2010
Registered!!

cowboybarry is an unknown quantity at this point

PLEASE NOTE. DO NOT CALL BARRY AT HONDA. DO NOT USE HIS EXTENSION BECAUSE HE CAN'T HELP YOU. You are welcome to call American Honda for assistance at 800-999-1009 and choose prompt # 5 for assistance. I will not be calling you back if you leave me a message. The member Canfeild was incorrect by giving my extension.
Thank you in advance for your understanding.
Old 05-25-2010
Premium Member

i edited out the extension in his post
Old 05-26-2010
Registered!!

cowboybarry is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Sun Visor split open?

Originally Posted by gearbox
i edited out the extension in his post
Thank you kindly Sir !
Old 06-03-2010
Registered!!

speeeedddddfrea is an unknown quantity at this point

If you visor won’t hold it’s position, that’s because a metal clip broke---I can see no way to fix or replace it without completely destroying the visor.
Old 07-10-2010
Registered!!

sonjar is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Sun Visor split open?

It happened to me last week and yes it was hot here and the visor split open, won`t stay up anymore. This for sure is a defect. I will take it to my dealer and have it replaced. By the way I`m from Canada, so it does happen here too..
Old 07-20-2010
Registered!!

K J Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

my 2006 civic both visors failed with in 6 months of purchase. replace under warranty, failed on next sunny weekend. Now out of warranty. No recall on this so I reported this to the www.nhtsa.gov web complaint form as a safety issue. When down they block the view and can not be put back up. when driving into the sun can not be used because they will not stay in place. Honda learned nothing from the Toyota recalls....waiting for the class action....where do I sign on....
Old 07-25-2010
Registered!!

rakmo22 is an unknown quantity at this point

It happen to me and i am in canada but my warrenty is just complete last month is there any advise how to fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sun Visor split open?