General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY BRAKE LIGHTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003
OsOBaNNeD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
DIY BRAKE LIGHTS?

ne 1 know how to ; rather what wire to connect to get the inner light on the sedan to turn on when the brakes are pressed.... cause basically.. i didnt notice til i was behind a sedan last night that only our two corner lights light up when the brake is pushed... i want the two inner lights to turn on as well..... Is it as easy as connecting the power wire from the outter lights to the inner ones? what happens when the brakes are pressed? is just more power sent to the bulb to make it brighter? please help.... i want all 4 red lights to light up when brakes are pressed... and i dont wanna just go in there and connect some wires and then watch my bulbs blow out... any help would be alot thanks...
Old 06-01-2003
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
I don't have a sedan, but wiring it should be pretty easy. You'll just need a hot-wire tester and some wire splitters. Also, aren't the inner lights are for the parking lights? not sure if you want them to be parking lights and brake lights...
Old 06-01-2003
OsOBaNNeD

Originally posted by wonderz
Also, aren't the inner lights are for the parking lights? not sure if you want them to be parking lights and brake lights...

nope there not..
Old 06-01-2003
OsOBaNNeD

hey what can u use as a wire tester if i dont have one ??? can i like wrap a wire around a light bulb or something
Old 06-01-2003
Registered!!

hankscorpio is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it as easy as connecting the power wire from the outter lights to the inner ones? what happens when the brakes are pressed? is just more power sent to the bulb to make it brighter?
Definitely don't do that. Those bulbs probably aren't dual filament so they are not designed to do that. You'll short your wiring this way. If you want it so that these inner lights are on and then get brighter when the brakes are on, you're going to have to get new dual filament bulbs, same as the outer lights that currently are the brake lights. I don't know how well they'll fit but it shouldn't be too hard to make them. Then you'll have to rewire them, you can just look at how the outer lights are wired and do these the same way.
Old 06-01-2003
OsOBaNNeD

LOL .. yup figured that out real quick. lol and basically the brake light has three wires... + , - and a dead wire that turns + when u push the brake.... well i ran a wire and connect the + 2 the + and it worked but when i pushed my brakes not only did the inner ones come on... but all my dash lights lit up and the front parking lights. omg too funny... im def gonna go buy a bulb and try it tomorrow. thanks for the help
Old 06-01-2003
Registered!!

wonderz is on a distinguished road
just buy a wire tester at kragen...it costs like 2 to 3 bucks..definitely worth the money since you probably going to need it for something later...too bad you don't live near my place or else I can sell you mine..i bought one because I thought i lost my old one, but then I found it after I went back home...weird

Originally posted by Chenz
hey what can u use as a wire tester if i dont have one ??? can i like wrap a wire around a light bulb or something