General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Synthetic oil, revisited...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Question Synthetic oil, revisited...

Ok let me start by saying that I did search, and read as much as my eyes can take, but I still have some questions.

I went to the Honda dealership the other day and said I wanted to switch to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30. The guy said don't do that because it will burn through it because of the engine's high-revving nature, along with a long speal which sounded like a clause from Honda.

I have seen that a lot of you are using synthetic oil without any problems, so is this guy just saying that to cover himself, plus I'm in a lease so...

So I'm just wondering if I will be doing any harm to the engine by switching to synthetic, or does it just have to do with gas mileage?

Another thing is, let's say you bough a car today, it has the OE oil in it. Can you change right to synthetic at like 5,000 km's? The same goes for a car with 50,000 km's on it, do you have to do anything special, or can you switch right to synthetic?

Thanks, I do appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

GucciDaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
i use mobile1 SuperSyn 5w-30 i have never had any problems with it!
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Ok cool.

So does anyone know if I can put this oil in after let's say 1,000 km's from buying it new? Or should I wait for 5,000 km's to put in the oil?

So I'm guessing our engine's don't burn through it like the Honda tech said.
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
No they don't "burn" and you can use synthetic or regular oil anytime, and you can switch when ever you want and switch back when ever you want. The main thing is you change the oil regularly weither its syn or regular.

There has been so much BS about the type of oil and weighs used, just remember that the higher weight you go the less MPG you'll get, and also remember that just because the oil weight is higher doesn't mean its better. If this was true every car ever made would be running 20w-50.

Also a lot of people will tell you that you can't switch from regular oil to syn oil and back to regular oil. This isn't true, you can switch anytime you want and as much as you want, the only people that say you can't are the people selling syn oil, and thats because they want you to keep buying thier product.
Old 04-30-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
I'd wait until you hit 5000km.
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
No, no harm should be done, that response is largley based on 3 things:
1. They don't have synthetic, so they loose your business
2. The unknown, no specific tests were done on the use of synthetics and since they don't know what will happen, the answer is no.
3. A heavier oil can degrade economy and performance (although the nature of synthetic oils tends to offset these drawbacks)

I've found over the last few vehicles that synthetic (Mobil 1 specifically) is such a good lubricant that the car takes an excessive amount of time to break in. I usually reccomend switching to synthetic after 10,000 miles (16,000 Km) other brands like catrol and synthetic/natural blends or petrollium based synthetics are not as good and can be brought in earlier.

And synthetic oils have a higher vaporization temperature so less oil is burned if anything...
Old 04-30-2003
Registered!!

Awesome, thanks guys. I read what both of you said, but just to clarify, after buying it right off the lot, and putting 5,000 km's on the factory oil, it would be good and broken in enough to start using Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30 right? I am also aware what you said about the lower fuel economy, but I plan on buying this car off of my parents, so it will be my first car, and I want to take care of it (I'm only 18).
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

You certainly aren't going to damage anything, but personally I would change with the 5-20 petrolium based oil this round and swap to synthetic next time (at 10k)....
Old 05-01-2003
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to disagree with using either consecutively, you should stick with one or the other. First of all, I only understand mi, not km so I am not sure how many miles your car has. But anyway, my stepfather is a petroleum engineer and he explained to me why it isn't good to switch at a high mileage. I switched at around 5,000mi to mobil 5w-30. But anyway, I can't explain word from word what he said, but when you use petroleum based oils, not synthetic, then those tend to leave carbon deposits in your engine. I can't remember exactly, but when you replace the type of oil to synthetic, it removes this carbon deposit from your engine overtime, and it isn't good for the engine for some reason. Ill ask him tonite and post a followup on the matter.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by ZSKCivic01
I have to disagree with using either consecutively, you should stick with one or the other. First of all, I only understand mi, not km so I am not sure how many miles your car has. But anyway, my stepfather is a petroleum engineer and he explained to me why it isn't good to switch at a high mileage. I switched at around 5,000mi to mobil 5w-30. But anyway, I can't explain word from word what he said, but when you use petroleum based oils, not synthetic, then those tend to leave carbon deposits in your engine. I can't remember exactly, but when you replace the type of oil to synthetic, it removes this carbon deposit from your engine overtime, and it isn't good for the engine for some reason. Ill ask him tonite and post a followup on the matter.
That is true, but only on high milage engines, he has less than 10,000 miles so switching back and forth won't hurt anything. But you should stick to one brand and one weight and one formula, just to be on the safe side, but there's still no proof that changing weights and formulas hurts anything. As long as the oil and filter is changed regularly, you'll be fine.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

NorrinRadd is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Synthetic oil, revisited...

Originally posted by Majarvis
I went to the Honda dealership the other day and said I wanted to switch to Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30. The guy said don't do that because it will burn through it because of the engine's high-revving nature, along with a long speal which sounded like a clause from Honda.
Hmmm, that's odd... my Honda dealership sells and recommends Mobil 1 Syn 5W-30 to all their service customers, which is what I use. Like everyone has said, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I had the same questions too for my Honda dealership service techs, especially since I was switching to it at about 45k. Now I know I'm not a petroleum engineer nor was the Honda dealer service tech, but they said it was Ok, since as long as your car and engine are well maintained (i.e., oil change regularly @3k miles and no known engine issues) there shouldn't be any carbon deposits even at 50k. Although, they did say if I was at 50k or higher they could still switch to syn oil after they flushed and cleaned my engine (don't really no what they meant by that), but since they see and service my car regulary they said no problem, they can just do a normal oil change and use the Mobil 1 syn 5W-30 in place the old petroleum 5W-20 I had been using. They even said with our newer cars that switching between the 2 oil types won't hurt it, but even so they do recommend sticking to one. I figured, I'm under warrantly for 100,000 miles anyways, so if anything goes wrong Honda will take care of it since they recommended me to change anyways (which I have documented and signed by the service manager). Well, I hope this info. helps you out.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Yes this info has indeed helped me, and put my mind at ease.

Does anyone have an oil filter that they recommend highly in conjunction with Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W-30? I know Fram's are one of the best...
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

stick with honda filters...
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Fair enough. Do aftermarket one's not work as well?
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
if you want some good FAQ info on synthetic oil, specifically Royal Purple, check out This Link. Lots of good info here.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Thanks.

I just need to know now if using the Honda oil filter is good enough, or if I should look at a Fram or something...
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bellz has a spectacular aura aboutBellz has a spectacular aura about
I wouldn't recommend any cheap filter. The Honda filter should be fine and the bare minimum. They made the car, so they make a filter that's going to do an excellent job. The more expensive filters may be better, but I'd do a little homework on them before buying. Fram makes a good filter, I've never had a problem with them.
Old 05-01-2003
Registered!!

Yeah see that's my dilemna now, to stick with Honda filters, or get a Fram...
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

I read an article a LONG time ago in CR or something that rated FRAM as garbage.... I don't know if thats true anymore or not, but I haven't purchased a FRAM filter since then. I ususally buy AC Delco or Honda Filters (anything blue)...
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

BigBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Mattskav gives good advice. However, those of you who have noticed that many of the Honda Dealers carry Mobil 1 oils should know that American Honda and Honda Corporation not only has approved carrying those at the dealers, but the oil that is packaged for Honda with the Honda label is Mobil Oil (including the normal petroleum based oils). Many of the dealers in fact are contracted with the local Mobil for their bulk oil that they use when they change your oil at the dealer. By the way they are not using the 05-20wt when they change your oil. Most of them are using 05-30wt. Some use the excuse that the lower viscosity is not as good in hot climate such as AZ. That is not true and you are right that it will lower your mileage. Honda Corporation in you manual says 05-20 in all climates. MOBIL 1 JUST RELEASED THEIR 0-20WT Mobil 1 oil last month!! This local distributers have received it but Walmart has not as of today's date. They will be carrying it. Regarding the oil filter: Preferably DO NOT USE THE HONDA FILTER if you want the best. Use the Mobil 1, Part # M1-110. It has more pleated area and it is a synthethic media versus cellulous (paper). Big difference and is designed to last for 1 year oil changes which for synthetic oil is very conservative. Paper media (including Honda's) do not filter as fine and are not designed for 1 year or more usage. Hope that helps all of you. Keep up the good work...
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

Awesome thanks, I kinda figured the Mobil filters would be great.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
I've not seen the Mobil One filters yet, but I'll check them out. Also, the debate between Syn and dino juice has been going for years. I don't see an advantage in spending twice as much for man made stuff when dino juice is good enough.

Maybe if you had an old car with seals that need reconditioning, then I can see using an additive, but for normal drivers like us, where our engine temps really don't run that high, we don't need synthetics. Trust me, I'm a mechanic by trade, although I'm working computers now.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

trick000 is an unknown quantity at this point
check out this link... it compares almost all the oil filters out there..

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by BigBear
Use the Mobil 1, Part # M1-110. It has more pleated area and it is a synthethic media versus cellulous (paper). Big difference and is designed to last for 1 year oil changes which for synthetic oil is very conservative. Paper media (including Honda's) do not filter as fine and are not designed for 1 year or more usage. Hope that helps all of you. Keep up the good work...
Thanks! Do you know where I can buy them online, that will ship to Canada? All we have here is Canadian Tire, and they don't have them, I don't think, I'll look again.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by trick000
check out this link... it compares almost all the oil filters out there..

http://minimopar.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Awesome link, thanks.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
ACK! dbl post weirdness..

Last edited by flotsamm; 05-02-2003 at 08:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
My 02 EX came stock with a Honda oil filter made by Fram. Says it right on the side of it. I guess its Honda's way of trimming the fat a little..

For more oil info then one probably needs, go here.

They have alot of VOA(virgin oil analysis) and UOA(used oil analysis) comparisons and a good oil filter section.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

No link showed up in your message dude.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like you fixed it
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
What is honda famous for? Engines that run and run and run....Now why would they use crappy filters? Give me a break!

Anyhow, I don't see how anyone can justify the cost of syn for use in a econo civic. I could see it if you were driving an rsx-s, gsr, or something of that nature. I just don't see the reasoning behind $40-50 oil changes in an econo car.
Old 05-02-2003
Registered!!

Because I want to make sure the engine has the best possible protection. Sure it's a lot of money in the short run, but not in the long run. A new car, however, is a big expense once your current one fails. I plan on buying this car off of my parents when they lease runs out, so I plan on having for a while.

Quick Reply: Synthetic oil, revisited...