General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How to Remove Console with the metal trim?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
How to Remove Console with the metal trim?

I want to put in a different shift ***, so I have to remove my center console, I've read the DIY on this site for removing the console, but I had the metal trim kit installed and it covers the gaps that you need to put the screwdriver in, I was wodering if anyone else has been able to do it without F'Ing anything up, or if anyone has any suggestions on replacing the shift not without removing the console, Thanks
-Mark
Old 01-31-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If all you're doing is changing the ****, just push down on the boot collar until it pops off. Then unscrew the ****. The console only has to come out if you swap the boot too.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
But I can't get the collar off of the boot without taking off the console right? Cause The shift *** I have won't work with that collar.
-Mark
Old 01-31-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

If the collar has to come off, then the console does have to come up, but you still have to unclip and remove the **** to do so. That still leaves.... how are you going to attach the bare end of the boot to the bottom of the ****?
There's a console DIY somewhere... if you've got an 03, then I dunno... it's probably a little different now that there's an armrest storage.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont think there is any shift **** out there that will reattach to the boot. i just let mine fall. it doesnt even fall that far and it looks fine. i think just about everyone does that. even if you change the boot also, it will still just hang there unless you get a boot that connects to an aftermartket ****.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

asianmatrix02 is an unknown quantity at this point
to fix that hanging boot collar, just go to home depot or anywhere and buy a bushing used for toilets or sinks. get one that will fit snuggly on the shaft of the shifter. put it under the collar(after removing the center console) and use the bushing to hold up the boot collar. this is what i did and everyone compliments me on the shift ****. i have the type r **** so everything matches. it will look as though u got the **** out of the factory.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
ya you can try that too. i did the same thing but with double sided foam tape. it worked well and i did get compliments on it. then when it turned cold, the tape froze and the collar slide back down, so i just took it off. i have the dc gunmetal **** so it matched pretty good as well. i may have to try the rubber thing, never thought of that.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

asianmatrix02 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: 4bangin
ya you can try that too. i did the same thing but with double sided foam tape. it worked well and i did get compliments on it. then when it turned cold, the tape froze and the collar slide back down, so i just took it off. i have the dc gunmetal **** so it matched pretty good as well. i may have to try the rubber thing, never thought of that.[hr]
the rubber bushing works perfect and don't have to worry about it slipping in any weather condition. looks as though it was made for the car.
Old 01-31-2003
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
anyone got a diy center console removal on the 03? i am having problems too, kinda cant get it off with the armrest storage there. do i need to take that off or something?