General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

DIY: E-Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2002
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
DIY: E-Brake Adjustment

What time is it? It's DIY time! That's right kiddies, the DIY ***** is at it again! This time we learn how to take up the slack in the emergency brake. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

Seriously though, that's what I felt like DIYing. I already did this DIY a while back, but at the time I didn't have a digital camera handy. Now I do, plus it's bean some time since the last time I did this, so I felt like checking up on things.

Tools:
- phillips head screwdriver
- small wrench
- jack

First push down on the shift **** collar. Your shift **** might look different. This happens to be the base model RSX shift ****.

Then unscrew the shift ****.

Then pry up the emergency brake cover. Use lots of force and pry straight up.

Turn it around and look for any missing clips. Sometimes they fall off when taking this piece off. Find them and put them back on that piece. Notice my blue sound deadening material. That's not stock.

Unscrew two little screws under the piece that we just took off.

Move the chairs forward and unscrew two other screws in back.

Now pop out the little plastic clips holding the front. Reach under them and play with them a little. You'll like it! Hehe, no. Actually, reach in back there and make the middle of it pop out.

That large piece is now ready to come off. Just pull it out at an angle to the front. Make sure to clear the e-brake handle. Then just pull it out towards the rear of the car.

Jack up one rear wheel and lower the emergency brake. Make sure the car is on level ground and in first or reverse, so that it does not start to roll. Put sand bags around the front tires as an extra safety precaution if you'de like (anything heavy will do). Then try spinning the wheel with your hand. Wee! Watch it go.

Now, if your wheel spun in the previous step it's time to take up the slack in the emergency brake cable. If you can not spin your wheel, then you might want to consider giving the emergency brake a little more slack. Just tighten it like a screw with a wrench. Tighten a little and test out if the wheel still spins freely. Do so until you're happy with the results. You don't have to do the other side because the two cables are on a sort of scale like attachment that distributes the force applied to the cables evenly. One sides adjustment will equal the others.

Now enjoy the better feel of the emergency brake. My stops on hills have improved. Not because I made the emergency brake sptronger or anything, but because I don't have to pull up on it as much as I used to. My hand sits lower when it is pulled up all the way, so I have better leverage.
Old 08-05-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
ooohh. project for tomorrow
Old 08-06-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
yay. nice diy.
i havent done a diy in awhile.
Old 08-06-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
What's your mileage dude? I have 8k and still no slack in my e-brake at all.

But good project for when I do. Thanx for the DIY, you *****![IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-06-2002
DIY King

First time I did it I had 5k or something like that. Now I have 10k. There was some slack this time as well... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2003
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Not to diss on your DIY as it's a good idea, but sometimes it's not the cable that's the problem.

If you wanna go at it, you basically take off the rear wheels, knock off the cover on the drum, and there's a little adjustment nut on the spring for the shoes. You move it in and out as to how close you want the shoes to the inside of the drum.

I'm not knocking this. It's a good idea, but also take a look at your shoes. Might not be a bad idea to do them both at the same time.
Old 12-01-2003
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough
nice CHEAP diy....thanks!
Old 12-01-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Very easy DIY.
I did it when i was installing new shifter bushings.
Old 12-01-2003
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
how the hell did you get the center console out? my arm rest keeps getting in the f***ing way...
Old 12-01-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally posted by infinite012
how the hell did you get the center console out? my arm rest keeps getting in the f***ing way...
That should help.. Why cant you get it out though? You dont even need to take out arm rest to take out center console..
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
the way i did mine is i jacked up the rear of the car and took off the drum cover. then i looked for the little bolt thats on a screw-like-cylinder and spun the screw clock wise or counter clockwise (i forgot which way). this does the same thing to your e-brake without having to take off your center console.
Old 06-13-2004
Registered!!

civicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to allcivicstyle82 is a name known to all
After months of procrastinating I finally went out and did this last night, so easy and it's nice having an e-brake that doesn't end up in the back seat when you pull it up.
Old 11-05-2004
Registered!!

SpeedFreak is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd really love to do that but i cant see any of the pics for some reason?
Old 11-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
that seems like alot to do for just the adjustment. Everytime I had mine adjusted at a shop, it took them less then 5 min.
Old 11-07-2004
DIY King

I will re-post all of my DIY's with updated pics soon. The shop probably adjusted them in the rear. You can do that too, but I haven't been able to locate the screw we supposedly turn to tighten things up.
Old 11-07-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Grey
I will re-post all of my DIY's with updated pics soon. The shop probably adjusted them in the rear. You can do that too, but I haven't been able to locate the screw we supposedly turn to tighten things up.
**** I would like to know too so I can do it myself. Maybe next time I will watch them.
Old 12-17-2004
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
any new pics yet? i need to adjust mine and am not sure which part to turn to adjust it.
Old 12-18-2004

abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
nothin???
Old 12-19-2004

bump maybe??
Old 03-30-2005
Registered!!

woodee will become famous soon enough
any new pics? would love to do this DIY. thanks Grey
Old 03-30-2005
DIY King

If I had the webspace, then I'de post them. My Member's Pics Page is full. If someone can donate some webspace, then let me know. I'll look around for something free when I have the time...
Old 04-01-2005
Registered!!

CHUCKNOSIS is an unknown quantity at this point
pics aint work
Old 04-01-2005
Registered!!

Storm897 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Grey
If I had the webspace, then I'de post them. My Member's Pics Page is full. If someone can donate some webspace, then let me know. I'll look around for something free when I have the time...
Try http://photobucket.com/ or http://www.imgspot.com/.
There both free.
Old 04-02-2005
Registered!!

hey guys..here the pics..grey wanted me to post..

10 attachments — Download all attachments View all images
Old 04-02-2005
Registered!!

wow my bad..haha i dunno how to do it sorry
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

zen_master is on a distinguished road
wake this thread from death!

btw.....................where's grey? how he's doin? i wonder what happened to all the pics in this DIY...
Old 08-08-2005
Registered!!

2k1civic is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.imageshack.us someone please post the pics!
Old 08-08-2005
I am your Mom's Hero!!

KnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really niceKnocturnalEM2 is just really nice
Damn this is an old thread!!! Someone help this guy out!!!
Old 09-03-2005
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough
yea, can someone do refresh this thread, i wanna see pics please
Old 09-03-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by rice4lyfe
yea, can someone do refresh this thread, i wanna see pics please
instead of adjusting it at the rear of the center console, just remove the rear wheels and rear drums and in the middle you will see a star adjuster wheel. moving that adjuster forward or backwards will move the shoes closer to the drums or away from the drums. Adjust that untill you have a slight drag on the drums while spinning them, and when you are done with both sides, this will not only adjust the shoes, but your e-brake will be adjusted.

refer to the DIY on replacing the rear brake shoes to see what the adjuster looks like. it is a small wheel with little notches all around it.

Quick Reply: DIY: E-Brake Adjustment