General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Tapping wires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002
The dog told me to do it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Explosivo is an unknown quantity at this point
Tapping wires?

I would like to install my alarm today. I've been sitting on it for 3 weeks and if I don't do it now, I don't know when I will. The inst. are straight forward, but I have a couple questions?

What is the proper way to "tap" wires into the car's wires? What do I need?

Also, where should I locate the LED?

Lastly, where can I get grounding bolts? My fog lights make specific mention of "ground bolts", so I assume these are different than regular bolts.

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2002
The dog told me to do it

Explosivo is an unknown quantity at this point
Also... where should I install the siren? The instructions say away from heat, and on the metal body. Any ideas?
Old 06-16-2002
Registered!!

Swifty is an unknown quantity at this point
best way to tap wires is to solder and heat shrink them to the existing wires....but 3M T-taps work quite well for the less important negative trigger wires......you will be able to get power, ignition, and parking lights from the 5 male spade plugs on the top of your fuse box......power door locks and trunk pin at the light blue plug at the lower left of the fuse box.....blue with black is trunk pin, green white and green orange is lock and unlock....blue with yellow is driver door priority unlock.....door pin should be in the green molex plug at the top of the fuse box.....large brown harness is for starter and ignigion kill......black/white and black yellow......siren should go under the hood away from anything hot like headers so pretty much anywhere along the fire wall or along the fenders should be good

ALL OF THESE WIRE COLORS AND POSITIONS ARE FROM MEMORY SO BE SURE TO DOUBLE CHECK THEM FIRST WITH A GOOD VOLT METER OR A TEST LIGHT......IF YOU **** UP YOUR CAR DONT COME CRYING TO ME....IT'S NOT MY FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Good luck

Swifty
Old 06-16-2002
Registered!!

bhayes82 is an unknown quantity at this point
you should run down to your local radioshack and get some of these. they let you tap in to a wire segment without cutting the original wire. you only need a pliers and wire cutter/stripper to install those.

the LED for the factory alarm is installed right in the middle of that plastic cover that goes over the steering column. push the lower piece inwards, and pull up on the cover to take it off. you might wanna get a trim ring (if the LED doesn't have one already) at radioshack as well, so it looks a little bit more professional. you should only need a drill with a 3/8" or 1/4" bit, depending on the size of the LED and its holder/trim ring. other locations you might wanna try are somewhere on the center console (under the radio, etc.), on the rearview mirror, or on the window sill on the door (my dad's acura TL has it right by the lock pin).

grounding bolts just refer to a ground location, i believe. any bolt you see on the frame of the car with a wire attached is a grounding bolt.

good luck with the installation!

Old 06-16-2002
Registered!!

Swifty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bhayes82 what you have pictured here is a 3M Scotch Lock, they dont work as well as the 3M T-tap simply because you run the risk of having some wire sticking out from the end and the possibility of shorting out the wire...on the other hand the 3MT-taps clip on the same way but you use a male spade plug to connect the alarm wire to the existing factory wire
Old 06-16-2002
Registered!!

MadDem13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I was at Lowes yesterday and they had grounding bolts. They seemed to have some kind of green coating on them. They were only a few bucks for a box...
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

sham01ski is an unknown quantity at this point
are those grounding bolts for your car? they might be for your house. I know cause when I replaces all the outlets, and plates in my house the bolt inside was green on the outlets. just curious.. I heard any bolt as long as it is not aluminum will work fine for grounding purposes..
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

sham01ski is an unknown quantity at this point
oh yeah put the siren somewhere so your hood can't be easily compromised and the thief cant just reach in there and cut the two wires to the siren. make sure they have some difficulty. as far as the led goes I ahve seen real creative.. people put them in their reverse lights and stuff too so that they keep going off when your car is parked in a lot at night too.. be creative.. put one visible so it deters thieves and then you can connect others to the first one to make some showie things in your car. my neighbor has them in his turn signals.
Old 06-17-2002
Registered!!

PerfectD3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Best advice I can give is to absolutely solder every connection, take your time, and heat shrink the solder points.