General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

rear drum brake

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jared is an unknown quantity at this point
rear drum brake

yes, I did search but found nothing. How do you remove the rear drum to change out the pads? I tried knocking it loose with a hammer but it didn't work. Yes, I had the car in gear and the emergency brake was off, but it still wouldn't budge. Can anyone help??? Thanks
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

3rdcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
you have to insert two small, correctly threaded bolts into the holes that are close to the center of the drum. they sit directly across from each other. screw the bolts in evenly and it will push the drum off the assembly
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
This is standard for just about any drum brake removal. And the bolt thread is pretty much universal.

Or a 25lb sludgehammer works too
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

2k1SINCE00 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you pound on the drum near the bolts it will losen it up, even after the drum is loose it still does not move much, thus you may not notice the drum is loose unless you spin the wheel and can hear the drum rubbing. Pounding on the drum should not hurt anything as long as you hit it with a flat suface of the hammer, do not have the hammer at an angle! Let me know how it goes, the more miles on ur car, the harder to get off, so how many miles u have? I did this last night so its fresh in my head.
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm probably wrong on this but, I think you have to remove the bearing first. Thats the way it was on my older Toyota.
Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

My car has about 19k miles on it 2K1SINCE00. Can I use any type of screw to get it off or is there some "special" screw that I will have to buy from the dealer for like $20 I have an old beatup '69 ford truck and I can just beat it with a hammer a few times and viola my drum is siiting in my lap, but if this screw thing is for real let me know where to buy them. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-26-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point

<< My car has about 19k miles on it 2K1SINCE00. Can I use any type of screw to get it off or is there some "special" screw that I will have to buy from the dealer for like $20 I have an old beatup '69 ford truck and I can just beat it with a hammer a few times and viola my drum is siiting in my lap, but if this screw thing is for real let me know where to buy them. Thanks for the help guys. >>

A regular metric size bolt or screw will work, I don't no the size but you could get 6 or 7 different sizes for less than a buck at a parts store or hardware store and use the onr that fits.
Old 05-26-2002
Registered!!

2k1SINCE00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Did you get it off? Reread my post, it doesn't appear to be loose at first, you have to wiggle it a bunch to get it off once it is loose. You better double check that your car doens't have the Ebrake on or that it is not in PARK! i think? I suppose any screw will work, these things come off very easy, though I had probs getting mine off (rusted on at 26k) and i didn't realize they were loose until i spun the drum and heard it rub in certain parts and not others. Let me know if u got it.
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

Muchas Gracias everyone. A little tapping along with pushing it off with the screws eventually worked. A word to the wise: be patient