General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Building a new engine!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VtecIn5th is an unknown quantity at this point
Building a new engine!

hey guys
i currently have a 92 civic with a d15a vtec e.
im soon going to be geting a b18c type r and droping it in.

Then i plan on doing it up a bit to make it faster, not going to turbo it though.

so i was just wondering if anybody could please give me some advice on where to start. like new extractors, injectors and what cc rating etc

thanks
Old 04-30-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Building a new engine!

honestly, google and honda-tech.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

yes i looked at honda tech and couldnt find what i was looking for.
used google and it lead me here
Old 05-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well build it before the swap obviously. new cam, port and polish the head, new rods, pistons, etc.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

if you cant find info on how to mak/build power in a b series idk lol.

it depends on what you wanna do with the car. a little extra oomph? drag racing? autox/track racing? the amount of power and the type of build you need depends on what your gonna do with the car.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

hey yea i just want a little extra oomph, not sure of a goal for the hp yet but i wanna get it quite fast without turboing it
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

its not worth paying a premium for a type R motor when your going to swap out all the internals anyways. Just use the savings from just buy a gsr motor to build it.

Just buy a gsr motor and turbo it, and call it a day.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 05-02-2009 at 03:39 AM.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

extra oomph and "quite fast" are pretty different. if you dropped a type r in you would be around the "quite fast" category with a few bolt ons. quite fast meaning capable of hanging with stock sti from a roll more or less.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

after that he's gonna want more power. He might as well just swap in a gsr motor and if he wants more power he can go turbo or NA build. It would still be cheaper and make more power then a Type R motor.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

sounds to me that he doesnt want to mod the engine to go fast. he wants to just drop it in. he implied he doesnt wanna turbo and if he doesnt wanna turbo then he probably wont want to mod anything else.

in any case a gsr/type r with bolt ons (nice intake, header and exhaust), tune, nice tires and weight reduction you will be able to hit 13s no problem. gsr will run you close around 3-4k and a type r will run you 5-6k. or if you really want to you can go k-series which will cost you around 6-7k. with the k series with the same mods as above you can hit high 12s/low 13s with skill.

the possibilities are endless really. you gotta know what your aiming for. sounds like your new to the honda scene, so i just say get a gsr.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

sounds to me that he doesnt want to mod the engine to go fast. he wants to just drop it in. he implied he doesnt wanna turbo and if he doesnt wanna turbo then he probably wont want to mod anything else.

in any case a gsr/type r with bolt ons (nice intake, header and exhaust), tune, nice tires and weight reduction you will be able to hit 13s no problem. gsr will run you close around 3-4k and a type r will run you 5-6k. or if you really want to you can go k-series which will cost you around 6-7k. with the k series with the same mods as above you can hit high 12s/low 13s with skill.

the possibilities are endless really. you gotta know what your aiming for. sounds like your new to the honda scene, so i just say get a gsr.
Old 05-02-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicsrcool

he has a 92 civic, it costs a lot more to install a k-series into a 92civic versus installing a k-series in a 7th gen. Its not worth the cost of install unless its just for bragging rights.

any thing below a 7th gen civic, the B-series is just a more cost effective engine to drop in.
Old 05-03-2009
Registered!!

^^ maybe move the bracket to 7-8? lol .
Old 05-03-2009
Registered!!

someone did a k20/k24 swap into a dc2 integra, cost him $12k
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

hey thanks for the advice guys
I no a bit about hondas im just not sure what would be best to do with it.
its going to cost me 4k for the engine, gearbox, wiring loom , conversion kit ect.

I have all the outside of my car done, angel eye headlights, chrome tail lights , full kit , shaven boot and stuff.

I think ill just do bolt ons, unless theres a particular internal part which will make a difference?
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

sounds rice :/ lol.. as for internal parts, there is no particular part that will give you power.. when you modify the engine internally its either all or nothing. you normally would just install pistons without aftermarket rods etc. internally the only thing i would suggest on replacing are rod bolts. and perhaps the headstuds if your planning to dish out some extra power over stock just to be on the safe side.
Old 05-05-2009
Registered!!

yea but im from nz so 4k over here isnt really that much.
thanks for the advice, a guy i no recons i should put a b16a type r head on it and it would go harder. what you guys think