General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

CAR REVING UP AND DOWN BY ITSELF

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
CAR REVING UP AND DOWN BY ITSELF

Twice allready my car's engine started reving up and down out of control and it goes away after you drive for awhile?
I know of another person with the same problem.
I have intake ,headers and NOS for 6 months now, and this problem just happen a few days ago?
It sounds to me that it may be a sensor.
Any feed back will be appreciated.
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

kristy is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine does that too, I would like to know what it is as well. All I have is exhaust but it did it before I got the exhaust too.
(hope pimp doesnt lock this, maybe it should be in issues/problems[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] )
anyway yeah I'd like to know too
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

rs232 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've heard of several Civic's (5th & 6th gen) having this problem. It is caused by a bad cruise control system. When it starts doing it. Put the parking break on. Pop the hood and take a look at the throttle cable. If it is moving, then it's the cruise control. If not it maybe a bad IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) This is a valve that supplies air to your engine while idling. When it starts going bad it either idles up and down, or it sticks in a certain position (which will make you idle rpm vary due to air density, tempature, etc, etc).
Old 04-11-2002

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
Good suggestions rs232 I'll check it out.

Chrisy,
You are right, this is the wrong forum
I just posted the same thread in the
(vehicle issues and problems) forum.

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS THREAD
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

WeSSoN is an unknown quantity at this point
fried alternator??? timing belt messed up??? could be those things....but I really ain't sure
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a similar incident with my car after I removed my aem intake and put the stock air box back on. It goes away after a while. It happened because I disconnected my battery, thus resetting the ecu. The car was just trying to recalibrate it's a/f ratio again. Not a big deal, goes away after you drive for a while and/or turning the car on and off throughout the day.

I only noticed it because when I came to a stop at a light, I could hear my exhaust revving up and going back down a couple of times. If you disconnected your battery recently, then this is most likely the cause. Don't worry, it's not harmful or anything. Your car is just relearning and gathering data from all of its sensors.
Old 04-11-2002
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light
Car does it when it's cold. It's the auto choke thing. . I think?? When it's cold the computer revs it to warm it up quicker. That's why it stops after awhile. . When she is warmed up. .
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

ShadyMilkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
ITs talking to you.
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
thats strange.. ive never heard of a car reving itself to warm up...

-Toad
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

R3DF0G is an unknown quantity at this point
He lives in Florida so I don't think it's cause of the cold.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG] IACV sounds right, my friends CRX had that problem before he swapped the engine.
Old 04-11-2002
Registered!!

mikalem is on a distinguished road
there was a recall that might be something to look into too.... I guess some of the stock airboxes were designed faulty and pieces were going into the intake, wedging it open slightly. You might want to check that out too.
Old 04-11-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Dude, I think your car is haunted. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 04-12-2002

Wow,
I POSTED IN THE WRONG FOURUM!

But, I ought to say that read some of the most logical and bizare sugestions.
I don't know where to start now [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Do I need a CPU expert?
Or should I get an exorcist priest?
I'll be out of town over the weekend, but when I come back I'll check into it.
Thanks

NOW DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS THREAD no moo!
Old 10-14-2003
Registered!!

Samari is an unknown quantity at this point
mine is doing the same thing also and my car tries to die also. im taking to the dealer to get it check out. they said it is probably just that the idle is off so they need to reset it or something. All i know is they better fix it.
Old 10-14-2003
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
haha.......really old thread
Old 10-14-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
dayam.. first post: "posted: 04-11-2002 at 09:42 AM"
haha.. my old car does that on me..
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

your old car. Did you get a new one?
Old 10-15-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
my new car is my 7thgen.. my old car is my automatic '92 toyota paseo..
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
It's the idle sensor. I had just replaced one on a 5.0 Mustang. It does the same ****, rev up and down out of the blue.
Old 10-15-2003
207 Mod is 10-8

kyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nicekyle4583 is just really nice
its possessed (spelling?)
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

well im going to the honda dealer on friday, i made an appointment so hopefully they fix it, cuz its pissing me off.
Old 10-15-2003
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
NOW DO NOT ANSWER TO THIS THREAD no moo!

Originally posted by Samari
mine is doing the same thing also and my car tries to die also. im taking to the dealer to get it check out. they said it is probably just that the idle is off so they need to reset it or something. All i know is they better fix it.

bc the prob was fixxed 1.5 years ago, and u revived it
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

your an idiot. "cuz i reved it". what are you talking about. i have an 03 and its messing up so obvisously they didnt fix nothing. how about you get your facts straight before you repond to this thread. Are you sitting next to me in my car so you know what its doing. I dont think so.
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

who in there right mind would make up something like this and post it on here. i cant get over the fact that your an idiot.
Old 10-15-2003
Jam out with your clam out.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
abmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questionedabmerop18 should not be questioned
it could be the throttle cable is getting caught somewhere. when i first installed my intake i had the same problem because one of the cables was stuck underneath it by accident. it seemed like it would auto cruise at like 80 and wouldnt stop. i just looked under the hood when i got home and fixed the problem.
Old 10-15-2003
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
i beg to differ
Old 10-15-2003
Registered!!

Alex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura aboutAlex1 has a spectacular aura about
if it is the idle sensor, theyre going to have to replace it.
Old 10-16-2003
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
what mods do you have? cause something isnt getting enough back pressure
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

Ouse is an unknown quantity at this point
im having the same problem and i just replaced the whole throttle body and it still is happening. honda couldn't figure out the problem but i had a cai and i found out the pipe was taping a few ground wires and spaking a little. you guys with injen might want to make sure that the pipe is clear of everything cause alot of my wires caught fire and i had to re wire alot of the harness.
Old 10-16-2003
Registered!!

DUBjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Its most likely one or more of your sensors, a buddy of mine had that happen on his eagle talon... (eclipse) in the U.S.......the estimate for his repair bill was about 2 Gs.....he ended up trading the car in.....i recommend that you go to your dealer as fast as if your *** was on fire....

Quick Reply: CAR REVING UP AND DOWN BY ITSELF