General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Tricks to increase Civic MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondaNOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Tricks to increase Civic MPG?

Originally Posted by sKwiD
I came across this in one of my other forums. Might help a little. So far I've been trying to fill up late at night or early morning, dunno if it's been working though.

----- I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline.... but
here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon.

Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San
Jose, CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period
thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel,
and gasoline, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks
here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morrning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground he more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your
gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the
specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet
fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of
the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger
has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should
be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are
created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor
return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes
to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and
back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth
for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your
gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the
more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty
space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline
storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero
clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes
the evaporation.

Unlike service stations, here where I work, every
truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is
actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping
into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill
up--most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being
delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally
settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value
for your money.

DO SHARE THESE TIPS WITH OTHERS!
WHERE TO BUY USA GAS, THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO KNOW.

READ ON

Gas rationing in the 80's worked even though we
grumbled about it. It might even be good for us! The Saudis are
boycotting American goods. We should return the favor. An interesting
thought is to boycott their GAS.

Every time you fill up the car, you can avoid putting
more money into the coffers of Saudi Arabia. Just buy from gas
companies that don't import their oil from the Saudis.
Nothing is more frustrating than the feeling that
every time I fill-up the tank, I am sending my money to people who are
trying to kill me, my family, and my friends. I thought it might be interesting for you to know which oil companies are the best to buy gas from and which major companies import Middle Eastern oil.

These companies import Middle Eastern oil:
Shelll........................... 205,742,000 barrels
Chevron/Texaco......... 144,332,000 barrels
Exxon /Mobil............... 130,082,000 barrels
Marathon/Speedway... 117,740,000 barrels
Amoco............................62,231,000 barrels

Citgo gas is from South America, from a Dictator who hates
Americans. If you do the math at $30/barrel, these imports amount to over $18 BILLION! (oil is now $90 - $100 a barrel)

Here are some large companies that DO NOT import
Middle Eastern oil:
Sunoco..................0 barrels
Conoco..................0 barrels
Sinclair................0 barrels
BP/Phillips............0 barrels
Hess.......................0 barrels
ARCO....................0 barrels

If you go to Sunococom, you will get a list of the
station locations near you.
All of this information is available from the Department of Energy and each is required to state where they get their oil and how much they are importi. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of gas buyers. It's really simple to do.

Get the WORD OUT!!!!!!!!
Where'd you copy/paste that from? It's complete bullshit, BP/Phillips is AMACO, so how can they be importing no oil while AMACO (Which they are) is? comon now.. you expect people to believe this nonsense

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/saudigas.asp

If you are complaining about mpg and gas prices in a civic, i think you should sell the car and ride a bike. You obviously cannot afford this, and this is one of the good reasons for high-gas prices, now everyone who *couldn't* afford to drive 10years ago or 5years ago, but got big SUV's gas upkeep was cheap, are now asking for it.
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

JDUB05 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 250 around 70 mpg...

bought a 900 ducati...35 mpg lol

sold the ducati and ninja and kept my 11mpg truck:-(

bought a honda 38 mpg :-) happy now
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

to add the the mpg. You can get better mpg is you keep your throttle position at a constant rate and as low as possible.

I noticed when i do that, my mpg tends be higher.

As for the oil argument. The american need for oil has been pretty inelastic. Its only in the few months that any elasticity for oil has shown due to recession fears and people moving to smaller cars and suvs.

Only way to keep money from terrorists is to replace oil with hydrogen, electrics cars and to a degree e85.

Hydrogen will probably be the new gasoline for the 21st century. Anyone who can figure out a cost effective way of producing and storing hydrogen is going to be the new Rockfeller.
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

yeroks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gearbox
dont worry, after a while all the oil will be gone and we wont have to worry about importing it
Sad and true.
Old 04-01-2008
Banned

hondaNOS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
Only way to keep money from terrorists is to replace oil with hydrogen, electrics cars and to a degree e85.
E85 was such a dumb idea. All it has going for it is, a cheap 105octane race fuel.

Other than that it serves to purpose to people once they realize they are going to spend the same amount or more as they would on normal E10.

E85 requires 20% more fuel then E10 to make same power
E85 gets 20% less MPG then E10

I think we are going to go to Natural Gas vehicles (slighly) and biodiesel, someone just needs to create a big company that takes all the used oil from resturants and recycles it for commuter usage.

People dont like hydrogen because its dangerous, blow your car up lol.
Old 04-01-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by hondaNOS
E85 was such a dumb idea. All it has going for it is, a cheap 105octane race fuel.

Other than that it serves to purpose to people once they realize they are going to spend the same amount or more as they would on normal E10.

E85 requires 20% more fuel then E10 to make same power
E85 gets 20% less MPG then E10

I think we are going to go to Natural Gas vehicles (slighly) and biodiesel, someone just needs to create a big company that takes all the used oil from resturants and recycles it for commuter usage.

People dont like hydrogen because its dangerous, blow your car up lol.

e85 is viable in the midwest where they actually grow corn and use to using it. It not viable as main stream fuel. Hence why i said to a degree.

There wouldn't be enough biodiesel or natural gas to make it a viable main stream fuel for everyone.

Gasoline can blow your car up..people still use it. Nuclear powerplants can blow up and kill many people. We still use nuclear power, granted we use it less then most of Europe and almost all of Asia.

Doesn't it make sense to use the most abundant element in the universe as fuel?

Right now its really cost and infrastructure thats keeping hydrogen becoming more main stream. It'll probably take another 20yrs before it comes to pass.
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

chainsaw is an unknown quantity at this point

The best I got from my Civic was 360 miles to a tank. I drive about 95% Highway. Its a 96 with 160,000 miles on it. I don't accelarate hard and I keep it between 70-75mph. I am taking my care to Precision Auto Tune http://www.precisiontune.com/services/ and I'm getting the following services done. Air Induction System Service, Fuel Injection Service. But I was wondering what else I could do. I was really looking into getting a good exhaust system. I buy the old cheap ones and end up replacing a pipe or the muffler in about 2 years. I want something that last longer and give me better mpg and performance.
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Barchiola
I'm shopping for a '98 to '01 Civic in the NJ area and plan to use it to go back and forth to the airport about 50 miles away. I'd like to tinker with it a little to see how high I can get the miles/gallon to go. If I can get it to 40 or better I'd be pretty stoked.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Bart in NJ
Screw the 01. Go for the previous 6th gen. (96-00) Avoid the EX since the rear shocks are ALWAYS blown it seems, as if an obese person has been riding in the back for 25k miles. My personal favorite is the 98 DX. I own a 97 DX.
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

Cleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of lightCleft_Asunder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DsevenEm2
ex version would come with actually all of the options Honda has to offer. Why would he want that if he's going to gut it to the bare essentials.

Get a 1998 Civic DX... you can get 40, trust me.
+1 for 5th or 6th gen DX. Best version ever, except for HX. Dx has nice reliable shocks that, even when they blow, still work fine. Also, design is better on 4-door DX (doors) and just has a more solid feel compared to coupe.

The CX/DX hatch looks best, but unless you're a bigger guy, the lower racer style seat is annoying.
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

dswami1 will become famous soon enough

one direct modification that will increase your milage is wheels.... lightweight (lighter than stock) wheels, although expensive, will help considerably. the opposite will happen if u get cheap heavy wheels... from personal experience I would say stay the hell away from sportmax/xxr
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

Bengali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Barchiola
I'm shopping for a '98 to '01 Civic in the NJ area and plan to use it to go back and forth to the airport about 50 miles away. I'd like to tinker with it a little to see how high I can get the miles/gallon to go. If I can get it to 40 or better I'd be pretty stoked.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Bart in NJ
I know this thread is old, but my 93 CX hatchback gets 42 on average. I've always checked it, but in 04 started keeping on my pocket pc in an excel spreadsheet.

317,xxx miles
always use Amsoil and change it every 24,000 miles (whether it needs it or not
usually drive the speed limit (here lately even a little less)
manual tranny
no cruise control (wish I had one)
standard maintenance
Every 4,000 miles, I use Amsoil P.I. (similar to STP gas additive)

I know AC and strong winds affect it and it is sometimes all over the place on mpg (37-60 ... no bull) But the average for nearly 4 yrs is 42mpg. Got 50 last week on 2 separate fill-ups.

Es verdad!
Old 05-19-2008
Registered!!

botz244 is an unknown quantity at this point

so early in the mornin here in kenai,ak when its -28 below zero the fuel will be what ? but they do say for every 1 degree drop you gain how many hps .so at -28 how many hps will my 99 civic gain?
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Bengali
I know this thread is old, but my 93 CX hatchback gets 42 on average. I've always checked it, but in 04 started keeping on my pocket pc in an excel spreadsheet.

317,xxx miles
always use Amsoil and change it every 24,000 miles (whether it needs it or not
usually drive the speed limit (here lately even a little less)
manual tranny
no cruise control (wish I had one)
standard maintenance
Every 4,000 miles, I use Amsoil P.I. (similar to STP gas additive)

I know AC and strong winds affect it and it is sometimes all over the place on mpg (37-60 ... no bull) But the average for nearly 4 yrs is 42mpg. Got 50 last week on 2 separate fill-ups.

Es verdad!
How are you measuring your MPG? Also, what type of tires and what PSI? Is your car stock or did you pull things out?

Last edited by Cleft_Asunder; 05-20-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-20-2008
Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man!

EXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura aboutEXsmellsbetter has a spectacular aura about

Find someone who lives near you and goes to the same place or same general area. Then carpool with them, alternating who drives. That should double your mileage!
Old 05-20-2008
Registered!!

Bengali is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cleft_Asunder
How are you measuring your MPG? Also, what type of tires and what PSI? Is your car stock or did you pull things out?
Miles driven since last tank fillup/gallons purchased
(Unless there's some new-fangled way to do it)

I've had multiple different brands over the last 15 years. Current tires are Douglas from Wallymart. 35 in front; 32 in rear

All stock.

Driving the speed limit or even less helps quite a bit on mpg.
Old 05-21-2008
Registered!!

black01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by colourwolf
Civic is one of the most fuel economy cars. A standard tranny will increase the effiency too.

I can get up to 610km before the light is on in the summer. 520km max during the winter.
buddy what do you have under the hood!!!
i just got this car less then a month ago, and my worst city driving was 10 liters per 100km, and with combined 60% city, 40% hiway i got 7.9l per 100km. for my us friends thats 24mpg respective to 30mpg.
i find it hard to beleive 520km in winter?? before the light comes on, mine is
4dr auto
Old 05-22-2008
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice

not really safe, but you can try a brick UNDER (not on top please) the gas pedal

on a sidenote its funny how other companies are just now exclaiming "36 MPG!!!" while other companies have been doing it since the 90s lol. i guess "ZOMG 900 HP 900 TRQ 5 MPG!!!" isnt bringing many buyers in these days
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

pablok2 is an unknown quantity at this point

use 3oz of 100% pure acetone(i recommend the paint thinner from the hardware store, blue/yellow can) and add it to every 10 gallons of pure gasoline(no ethanol). And you feel even braver add the same amount of 100% xylene (blue can) for a couple octane points. I get 40 city/sub-urban with acetone! and not to mention my 95 civic has 178k miles on it with 10w40

Last edited by pablok2; 09-29-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point

talk about reviving a 4 month dead post
Old 09-29-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

lol DO NOT use acetone lmao. dumbest thing ive ever heard
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
kcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to allkcari is a name known to all

i stopped turning my AC on and now I dont have to fill up until the 13th day instead of the 9th day
oh yeah and i try not to drive past 75 mph
most of the time im on 70 even in the fast lane.

Last edited by kcari; 09-29-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

jm483 is an unknown quantity at this point

Smaller wheels, standard tranny, no powersteering, and no a/c... My 94 DX gets 40 mpg easily even running at 3k rpms on interstate.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

man, acetone gave me a 10-15% in mileage, it works, but if you're not man enough to try it... you're missing out and wasting money.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

EM2MAGMET914 can only hope to improve

reconstructive body surgery works... im working on making myself shorter and losing alot of weight tht way less for the car to pull chop off a few limbs n gut the interior im 6foot n 300 lbs im not exactly danika patrick over here smaller person=bettergas hehehehe

i hope nobody takes this serious i mean they do say gas costs an arm n a leg nowadays but sheesh see the joke here pplz!
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

crazytut is an unknown quantity at this point

Ummm, I looked up the thing about adding acetone to fuel, and found this link.

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/new...00069_Acetone/

I never tired using that with my honda.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

sethro is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed with the keeping the RPM's low.. also I cant stress how important it is to change you air filter.

I changed the air filter on my friends VW, came out black.
Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

with the acetone thing, I will say it again- It works. The best results will come from people who like to push the pedal harder, so the results from a person who drives "softly" will not be as significant. But either way, adding it to 87 will save you money (~a gallon every fill), probably more with higher octanes depending on your engine(great for high comp).
Old 10-01-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

nobody cares
Old 10-01-2008
Registered!!

sethro is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I don't wont **** up my engine with that Acetone stuff.

Paint thinner in my engine... helllll naaaaaaa lol
Old 10-05-2008
Registered!!

Krieger is an unknown quantity at this point

errr...

tune ur car and drive smart.

sea-foam it, in and out, clean/ change ur filters, change ur fluids regularly, and do an ECU reset.

I took a trip from Orlando, FL to Camp Lejeune, NC with over 850 pounds of crap and people in my car... and got roughly 41 MPG going 65 the whole way.

trick is knowing when to go and when to let up on the gas.

see that green ligh up ahead? been green for a while huh? well, then go ahead and coast to it. chances are, its gonna go red, so why speed and waste gas heading towards it? just coast and save gas.

getting started from a dead stop is tricky too. if u have an AT, let off the break and let ur car naturally roll forward a second, this helps get it going, inertia and all... then slowly give her gas, and even. if u get to 45 MPH a few seconds slower, u just saved 33% more gas as opposed to gunning it like most people do.

I took SO many classes on driving to lower my insurance rate, and met a TON of people who LOVED to save gas, and have picked up alot of good habits along the way.

i drive my car every day of the week, but only put like $40 in every 2 weeks to 3 weeks.

btw, the resetting the ECU is great for letting ur car run at its best. it figures the best conditions to work with its new environment and condition.

unplug ECU and back up fuse, or negative battery cable, let sit 10 mins, plug back in, turn car on, with all lights, A/C, radio, EVERYTHING off and just let it idle for 10 minutes... when the radiator fans kick on the second time (10 mins or so) shot her off, and the moment its off turn it back on. the ecu setting is saved and u get the best power and fuel usage ur ECU can squeeze outta ur car at the moment.

i do it every time i change my oil or clean my car out. i take it all apart and clean all kindsa stuff every 5-10 K miles... i LOVE my car, so why not pamper the hell outta it? lol

Quick Reply: Tricks to increase Civic MPG?