General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

auto to manual swap!! and it's turbo'd!!

Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kronickz is an unknown quantity at this point
auto to manual swap!! and it's turbo'd!!

Hey, my tranny just went out on me for the 2nd time and i've decided to go manual so I don't have to ever worry about this happening again. Just a simple question to you guys.... what exactly do I need to swap it out besides the tranny and is it a hard install? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute
You'll need a manual ECU/wireharness and new gauge cluster. I have heard quotes for $1500 for a full conversion and labor. I know someone doing one and thats what they quoted him.
Old 02-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
subscribed, just to pick up on some more info. Also its gone out on u 2 times, whats ur mileage? and driving habits?
Old 02-26-2007
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
talk to Varner, he had a conversion done recently I believe... it's not cheap
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

Derwood is an unknown quantity at this point
I was able to do a full swap on a 99 Eclipse GSX with used parts for under 500. I did a swap on a 03 Focus for 1,100. 02 Mustang GT for 900. 03 Mazda 3 hatch for 1,300. These were all in the past year or two

You need a tranny, shifter, shift boot, shift ***, manual ECU, manual harness, gauge pod, and shift cables\linkage. I'm sure I'm prob missing something, but... that's the general idea.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

edrulz2003 will become famous soon enough
i just did a k20 swap with auto to manual conversion and to tell you the truth its not that hard..u need the above parts and u need to add the cluth and run the shifter cables..and theres one wire that you gotta ground comin from the ignition(thats what held my swap up, i didnt know whick wire) but thats pretty much it..
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the replies guys, I've only got 60,000 miles on the car and I only gun it when i'm racing someone but other than that, i drive under normal conditions. I thought there was a recall on my year car for the tranny but i guess not. The first one just went out of gear on me but this time it still runs and drives but the green D light on the speedometer keeps flashing and when i put it in gear, it starts in 3rd. Therefore, I have to shift all the way from the 2 and work my way up manually. They said it could be an electrical problem but who knows, it's at the tranny shop today to see what is really wrong with it. If all goes well and I don't have to replace the tranny again, what are some tips to keep the tranny running for a long time because with my luck, it will go out again. I heard a tranny oil cooler really helps but i have no idea on how to install that or how it works. Other than that any tips would be nice.
Old 02-26-2007
Banned

I Love You is an unknown quantity at this point
You can use the auto ecu, but there's no gaurentee your car will rev past 5500, if you use it you gotta make it so teh car thinks its in like P N D at same time. You'll throw a cell.

you'll need all the basics for the swap and if you want you can do

manual ecu
manual harness (im using my auto one, it'll work just fine)
gauge cluster (using auto till i hit 22k)

reflash from honda

swap will cost me about $1300 now.
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

OK, UPDATE ON THE CAR! The guy at the transmission shop told me that it was my ecu that was throwing off the tranny. My guess is that when i plugged up the e-manage with dezod's PnP harness, that something messed up or that the harness must be bad. I'm going to try to test it out tomorrow and unplug the harness to see if it works properly. Anybody heard of this happening? let me know, thanks. And Dezod, if you read this, please help me out because I just bought this harness like a month ago. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
i just did this swap about a month or so ago heres a list of what you need

trans
shift cables
shift box
hardlines and softlines for the clutch
master cylinder for the clutch
slave cylinder on the trans
and manual trans speed sensor if the new trnas does not come with it
manual trans starter
mastercylinder rezzy and cap
clutch pedal assy
brake pedal assy
flywheel and flywheel cover
manual subframe
manual trans motor mounts
and random clips and what not to attact the shift cables to the trans

you can use your auto ecu as long as you take the black box off the auto trans that tell you what gear your in but you have to leave it in park
doing this will not let you rev past 5k rpms but theres a way to wire to make it all work i havnt had time to mess with it to figure it out yet

if you wanna swap the ecu and harness you can do that as weel but youll need both dash harness and engine harness and a reflash my swap costed clost to 2000 using both brand new and used parts if you need any help let me know
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

Civicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of lightCivicman1988 is a glorious beacon of light
i am in the middle of doing mine right now
Old 02-26-2007
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
just to add the manual ecu has a more agressive fuel map compared to the auto.
Old 02-27-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
gah... i read threads like this and just dream....
Old 02-27-2007
Also known as rlmedin1.

K/Turbo will become famous soon enoughK/Turbo will become famous soon enough
I still have my D17 non Vtec, 5-Speed Tranny and Manual ECU with only 27K on it left over from the K-swap. I may even have the shift cables but I have to check. Let me know if your interested.

PS I have the manual sub frame also.

Last edited by K/Turbo; 02-27-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-27-2007
Registered!!

trurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the rough
I finished my manual swap a couple months ago (it was a pain in the ***). If you have any questions still let me know.
Old 06-26-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Re: auto to manual swap!! and it's turbo'd!!

... so how did it go???
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

marcuse will become famous soon enough

my auto trans is starting to go out on me and i had plans to swap to manual someday anyway. Now the time is right. Im going to let a shop do it here locally. People have told me from Auto places that i can have a 5 speed from an 02 w/ 37,000 miles on it shipped to my door for 650.. what of the above lists will be included if anything?? also could i let the shop buy the parts and put them on or would it be cheaper to buy the parts myself and let them put it on...
Old 07-09-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

well problem is knowing what parts you need. and its gonna require a bit more than just swapping the trans out. including a new manual ecu, shifter, pedals, etc.
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

Yes, ill need stuff like :

slave cylinder
clutch
flywheel
tranny
tranny starter
pedal ***
clutch master cylinder and resovoir
moutns
shift linkage and shifter
ecu and hydraulic lines..

what else?
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

2slowem2 should not be trusted2slowem2 should not be trusted

I thought u need a manual throttle body,Or can u use a auto throttle body with a manuel ecu?
Old 07-09-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

man y cant all cars be like legos!! i swear legos were so simple and so awesome! i mean if our cars were like legos, my rear sway would be in, i'd have a rear disc conversion, a auto to manual swap, a turboes k20, and suspension out the anus to boot!
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

I talked to a lame transmission shop today here locally. They said they wouldnt do it because they were too busy and its my daily driver. they said that they'd have to reflash the ecu which i already knew about and that they couldnt.... LAME!! I might as well make this my project log cuz i want manual! I have another shop im going to contact about this.
Old 07-09-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

They just gave you the runaround my friend.
Old 07-09-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ya its basically not worth their time to do it.
Old 07-10-2007
Registered!!

Well, i guess i need to talk to the people who have already had it done. I need suggestions.
Old 07-10-2007
Registered!!

trurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the roughtrurace is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by marcuse
Well, i guess i need to talk to the people who have already had it done. I need suggestions.
I have done the swap. What are you questions?
Old 07-10-2007
Registered!!

who did the installation
how much was everything not including labor
exactly what other parts besides the trans did you need to collect
how much should i expect for labor
do they have to ghetto rig the pedal in and is the center console a different one
about how long did it take the shop that did it

and im sure i have more that i can pm you about, thanks for your help.
Old 07-11-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by marcuse
who did the installation
how much was everything not including labor
exactly what other parts besides the trans did you need to collect
how much should i expect for labor
do they have to ghetto rig the pedal in and is the center console a different one
about how long did it take the shop that did it

and im sure i have more that i can pm you about, thanks for your help.
It was about 600 for parts

I'll have to get back to you tomorrow on the parts you need

I don't know how much labor was my dad did it (i was not there because i was in school)

My pedal is not ghetto rigged. Yes the center console is different.

My car was out for about a week. But a shop should do it faster.
Old 07-11-2007
Registered!!

ok let me know about the parts man , thanks for your input.

I need to figure out where im going to shop.
Old 07-11-2007
Registered!!

ronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond reputeronaldo9 has a reputation beyond repute

Also PM Varner88 I think his name is. He did a tranny swap too and now he's getting a K series.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: auto to manual swap!! and it's turbo'd!!