General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Painting interior..diy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mikecivexxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Painting interior..diy?

On my car every accent piece is black, and I like that... except for the little plastic piece where the door locks/window buttons are... that's silver and scratched up. Anyone paint this part... is there a how to? I noticied that it's part of the door arm rest.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 033.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	69243  
Old 01-09-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Basically, it appears you have two options. One would be to check ebay. They have those vinyl trim kits that just stick on, and would probably cover that. I tried one such kit once, and it wouldn't even stick, so I really can't recommend that approach. Or you could look for one of the aluminum or plastic trim kits, which tend to run in excess of $100, and see if you can find one that includes a piece that would cover that area. The other option would be to just repaint it. I suspect that if you remove the door panel, you will find that you can separate the armrest from it. Then you could just tape off the rest of the armrest, and the buttons themselves and repaint that piece. You may even be able to remove the armrest, or at least separate it from the door enough to mask off the fabric without even having to remove the door panel as a whole. I see in bottom of the handle part, there is a plug, probably covering a screw. You might try removing that, and any other screws you find in the armrest and it will probably just come off. There may also be a DIY for removing the door panel/armrest around here somewhere.

Last edited by AmbulanceMonkee; 01-09-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-09-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
^wt he said......i would suggest you use a non gloss paint...and soemthing that is strong...such as engine paint...etc...

glossy = a WHOLe LOTTA finger prints...

weak paint = chips off
Old 01-10-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
I broke 160 dollar door panel trying to get a piece that was riveted to the door to come off.. SOAB! haha, oh well, Eoxy paste is my friend.

Good news, you dont have to bust your **** up to get this done. You need to take off the rubbery arm rest (17) with a "trim panel remover" they are 10 bucks at NAPA. there are two metal clips-a little tougher to get out then the plastic clips-- (number 15) at the front and back of the armrest (they are held to the rubber piece by the screws, dont think you need to undo them). Remove the screw (21) behind the flap in the arm rest grip. Now, you have to figure out a way to pull that puppy up (9), because its clipped into that swhoosh looking thing- but beware, there are the wires to the power window connected to the piece your yanking on. The connector comes out with a firm squeeze once you got the piece off.

An alternate way of doing this is to remove the panel with your trim panel remover, unhook the power window cable, and then work on getting that piece out.

If you cant get it out, you can flip the panel over, locate the three rivets and cut them out (neetly). when your done, fit the piece back and mold epoxy paste around them and wait 24hrs, just like new.

Hope that helps ya partner. Oh, once you go the piece off, if you flip it over, the electronic part comes off along with the switch, making it much easier to pain and not worry about drips or overspray on the electronics. From here, I'm sure your good enough with the painters tape. Remember to prime first, color, and finish with clear coat (clear coat optional- helps pretect the paint form damnage). Good luck, message me if you need help, I'll help you answer any questions you might have.

Last edited by TRIZ; 01-10-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-10-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Way to go, Triz. That's some good ****. +1 for you.
Old 01-10-2007
Registered!!

mr.rowdy is an unknown quantity at this point
Man to bad it is scratched up that bad i would of traded you for som black ones
Old 01-10-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
Way to go, Triz. That's some good ****. +1 for you.
Why thank you!! Anyone else want me to do a trick in exchange for a rep bone? haha. Seriously though, i'm glad to help.