General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

trunk lock problem

Old 01-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
copa708 is an unknown quantity at this point
trunk lock problem

I own a 05 honda civic HX 2 door coupe, the lock on the trunk for some reason will not shut. i went inside around the backseat and saw that it was hardly even reaching the bolt so the lock would not latch on. I've taken a look at other civic locks and they look pretty much the same except minor details, newer, etc.
is there anywhere i can order a trunk lock? or at least be given a DIY on how to say take the trunk lock off and maybe move it down a little. also it does not spring back like another civic i took a look at. ANY help would be appreciated
Old 01-06-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
everything for the latch is completely adjustable.
I've actually had a lot of trouble with my trunk latch as well, but nothing that couldn't be fixed.
Old 01-06-2007
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
just loosen the 2 bolts that hold the hook onto the cars sheetmetal and move it up and tighten it.
Old 01-06-2007
Registered!!

copa708 is an unknown quantity at this point
i took another look at it, it seems the hook doesn't stay holding the bolt... it kind of springs back to halfway.
I'm not sure of how to fix this, i'm sure the spring is messed up somehow. if possible i'd like to order the part and just install a new one.
does anyone know where i can order the part? i've looked everywhere and i don't know what the service charge may be from honda. I don't have a warranty either so i'm guessing the previous owner held people hostage in the trunk while they tried to get out not realizing there's a button to do so.
Old 01-06-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough
you sound like you have the same exact problem I had. I wish I could take pictures to explain this better, but the problem was that when I'd go to shut the trunk lid, the actual piece that latches would get wedged behind another piece of metal in the latch. my best advice is to take it apart so you can see how it works and it's not too hard from there.
Old 01-09-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Well- if you want to buy another trunk latch, it just so happens suzyQ has/had a trunk latch for sale. let me see if I can dig up her post for a rep point!

Got it, here ya go:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...tuff-sale.html
Old 01-09-2007
Registered!!

EM2 Shinobi is an unknown quantity at this point
Had this same problem, it would close and could be pulled open. The trunk latch is defective, get a new one, like 11 bucks or so from honda.
Originally Posted by copa708
i took another look at it, it seems the hook doesn't stay holding the bolt... it kind of springs back to halfway.
I'm not sure of how to fix this, i'm sure the spring is messed up somehow. if possible i'd like to order the part and just install a new one.
does anyone know where i can order the part? i've looked everywhere and i don't know what the service charge may be from honda. I don't have a warranty either so i'm guessing the previous owner held people hostage in the trunk while they tried to get out not realizing there's a button to do so.