General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

How to get amp power cable through firewall?

Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucanushie is an unknown quantity at this point
How to get amp power cable through firewall?

Hey guys,

I having a hard time feeding my amp power cable down through the firewall.

I have a 2002 1.7 EL. I have attached this pic with the gromet i was trying to feed the cable through.... Is this the right spot? this is the left side of the car if your looking at the hood.

www3.ns.sympatico.ca/mperrin/pic.jpg
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
looks like a crappy spot to me. i ran mine so that the cable comes in under the dash. id take pics but its wicked dark outside. but there is no wrong place to run it. just drill a hole, stick a grommet in it, and shove it through.
Old 08-17-2006
Registered!!

CIVIC808 is an unknown quantity at this point
try the ones closer to the floorboard area right below the area you was trying at.
Old 08-18-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I went throught the gromet on the passengerside. I went through the rubber part below the original hole, where all the wires come through.

I made a small hole with a hanger, which the cable was taped to, and just pushed it through, then pulled it fromt the otherside.
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

05civicFun is an unknown quantity at this point
you can take off the little trim piece under your dash, and drill a hole up in there so its hidden and you can shoot it straight into your trim and nobody would know you were running power through your car, mines right above where the clutch would be and it goes right behind the hood release into the trim under the door and all the way back and you cant even see it, even if i can guess i got at least 150 ft. of speaker wire running through there now
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

EggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enoughEggRollBandit05 will become famous soon enough
I ran mine through the gromet near the floor on the passenger side where some other wires come through, no drilling required just made a hole with needlenose pliers and pulled the wire through. Just have to pull the trim piece above the passengers feet and peel back the carpet to expose it.
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

what size wire is everyone running, i looked at those grommets and its not exactly big enough for true 4 guage let alone a good spot for the 1/0 guage that im gonna be needing to run here soon
Old 08-20-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
I ran mine through the passenger side like everyone else, I have a 10 gauge and a 4 gauge wire running through there. Look under your glovebox, pull the carpet back, and all the way up in the firewall, there's a little hole that goes through to a grommet on the other side. You'll have to use a screwdriver or hanger to poke a hole through it, but make sure you don't jam it through and into what's on the other side. Do it gently. I'll take a picture with a camera phone here if I can, hold up.

Ask and you shall receive.

Last edited by DeX; 08-20-2006 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough_unclejuice is a jewel in the rough
im runnin 4 guage right now. when i get my trunk finished im movin the battery to the trunk and gonna run 0 guage.
Old 08-20-2006
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all
Why? Just upgrade your battery, alternator, and wiring between the 2. Shortening the wire between your battery/amps and lengthening the wire between your battery/alternator is not a solution.
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

instead of moving the battery to the trunk (unless you need the space for something, then you just relocate the battery in the same area) just run 1/0 on the main 3 power, my friend just did it and hes got a stock battery and alternator and is running approx 14.5 volts now in his battery, you could just take a battery to your trunk and get a switch instead, that way when the fronts full, alt charges the rear one

i wouldnt suggest running power wire through an existing hole, its there for a reason, and you draw enough current through that thick of wire to disrupt other wires around it (alternator whine), thats why you designate its own path, run your rcas and speaker wires away from it so they never touch or come close untill their at the amp, cause i gotta kill my whine, its the biggest let down running an sq system and you get alt whine.....

Last edited by 05civicFun; 08-21-2006 at 01:58 AM.
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

BERGER will become famous soon enoughBERGER will become famous soon enough
i have 1/0 guage running from the front to the back underneath the car then up into my trunk.. this **** is big and was hard to work with but needed it for my stereo.. now i need a new alternator cause the stock 70 amp can't keep up.. sorry jack the thread here but does anyone know if a alternator that's for a d16 will work on a d17??
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

get an ohio generator alternator
Old 09-10-2006
Registered!!

C-Mo is an unknown quantity at this point
I ran my wire where the clutch would be. I drive a 2002 EX (auto). It worked pretty slick and I ran the wire underneath all the trim on the driver's side of the car. You can't see the wire at all and was rather easy to put in.
Old 01-01-2009
Registered!!

sweetbrett is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How to get amp power cable through firewall?

i'm a newb attempting this for the first time. anyone have pics to help me visualize exactly what i need to do? i've got a 2002 lx sedan
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

CanadianCivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point

WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE DRILLING! =|

4gauge fits with the rst of the wires that run to the computer, just coathanger the end and slowly pull, dont drill!
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

peel back the carpet on the passenger side comparment (where your feet go, lol).. its only held in place by velcro. if you take a look farther up into the dash from the feet area, you will see a hole with some wires run through it. take a metal clothes hanger and un ravel it to make it just a big metal wire. tape the hanger around your power wire and stick the hanger with the wire on it through the hole. grab the thing from the other side.
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

in the engine compartment, it is the rather large circular, rubber grommet on the passenger side, just below the 4"x4"x4" approx. box held on by 2 10mm screws (not sure what the part is exactly)...correct? How is that black piece of plastic by the passenger's feet held on, by snaps only? So just pull to remove?

i need to start on the engine compartment side since i'm using a wiring kit that already has the fuse and connector installed on the battery side.
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

twiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nicetwiztedD17A1 is just really nice

Same here the large rubber gromet on the passenger side
Old 01-02-2009
Registered!!

got it. pushed it thru there from the engine side, and only had to undo the glove box to get to it on the interior. I then ran the wire under the door trim on the passenger side to the trunk.
Old 01-05-2009
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

You can also run it behind the plastic molding that goes around the edge of the headliner above the door. That's what I did, kept it away from all other audio wires to eliminate interference.