Go Back   Honda Civic Forum > GENERAL > General Honda Civic Forum Archive.
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Experience Used CarsGarageVendor Directory
Welcome to Honda Civic Forum

General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-29-2005   #1 (permalink)
Registered!!

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whelan
Rattle in Rear (SOLVED)!!!

I figured it out last night and fixed it. On my 02 Civic Coupe there has always been this constant annoying light rattle that sounded like it was the actual backseat. So I always figured it was where the latches were when you fold the seat down. Well it turns out this issue is from a completely different source.

Your Head Liner!

So I picked up a few pieces of insulation foam and pulled down the head liner simply by using a coin to twist the center plug in the rear then prying the clips along the back edge. Then add the foam in order to keep the liner pressed and firm so the rattling will cease. My rattle was coming from the passenger side so I pust most of my foam there. But man what a difference, the car is so much quieter.

Give it a try, next time you are driving and you hear that weird rattle from the rear seat, reach your hand up and push the head liner back there up and listen, Unless its an exterior problem (wheels, suspension, etc.) Then this should be your issue.
Old 10-29-2005   #2 (permalink)
Registered!!

hypnotic7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to hypnotic7thgen
nice! i hate those weird annoying rattles. i've currently got one under my car i think it a heat shield rubbing against my exhaust so no big deal.
Old 10-29-2005   #3 (permalink)
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Points: 24,628, Level: 95 Points: 24,628, Level: 95 Points: 24,628, Level: 95
Level up: 28%, 722 Points needed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold blouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to blouisgod
yeah welcome to the 7th gen civic. thats a big one and also the rattle of the rear deck hitting the rear window- some window foam works as a great buffer.
Old 10-29-2005   #4 (permalink)
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Points: 16,286, Level: 81 Points: 16,286, Level: 81 Points: 16,286, Level: 81
Level up: 88%, 64 Points needed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all skipbarber is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to skipbarber
my ceiling used to rattle the first few months after i bought my car. It went away, but in my car, it always feels like the rattles just move from one place to another. I gave up trying to solve them. I have one coming from behind my dash when i drive over 60 mph, I just turn up the radio.

sig by speedfoos
The DX resource site.
-2002 SSM EM2 - D17A1/A2 hybrid turbo(vtec, non-egr, steel oil pan, Hondata managed) 240 fwhp, 210 lb/ft tq @ 9.5 psi
-1991 MK3 Toyota Supra turbo (full cage, track setup) TBA
-2008 Honda NPS50 Ruckus - Stock 5 rwhp
Old 10-29-2005   #5 (permalink)
let the devil out

eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of eye_see_you has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to eye_see_you Send a message via MSN to eye_see_you Send a message via Yahoo to eye_see_you
there are all kinds of annoying rattles mine happens to be in my trunk lid in the center right at the edge and i've yet to stop that one
Corona Lovers Club Member #2
My ride: 2002 rsx-s
ICE:Clarion vrx735vd::JL Audio 300/4::JL Audio 500\1::JL VR-600-CXI::JL VR-525-CSI:: JL 13W7
Interior:ITR shift Knob::Buddyclub SS
Exterior:DC5 Side markers
Engine:ESMM::Ingalls Tq Damper,Buddy Club Race Condensor,Skunk2 PerformanceExhaust, Fujita F5 CAI,Hondata IMG
Suspension:Function/Form2 Coilovers, Ingalls Camber
Wheels-brakes: Volk VSpeed , Volk Lugnuts, Rotora Rotors, EBC Red Stuff
Old 10-29-2005   #6 (permalink)
Registered!!

Whelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Whelan
Yeah I had the license plate fixed before I even got the car. some rubber washers to prevent the rattle there. Other than the head liner which is now fixed I have nothing in the car that rattles or makes noises and Im sittin at 61K
Old 10-29-2005   #7 (permalink)
Ashho-san 7thgen Ninja

Points: 9,455, Level: 65 Points: 9,455, Level: 65 Points: 9,455, Level: 65
Level up: 35%, 195 Points needed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Ashhole will become famous soon enough Ashhole will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Ashhole Send a message via AIM to Ashhole Send a message via Yahoo to Ashhole
yeah those rattles suck. ive got one coming from the mud flap on my front passenger side fender.

7th Gen Ninja #19

My Myspace
My Cardomain

DIY: Blacked out Altezza Tail lights
7thGen.MT.C.
Old 10-29-2005   #8 (permalink)
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

Points: 43,375, Level: 100 Points: 43,375, Level: 100 Points: 43,375, Level: 100
Level up: 0%, 0 Points needed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute manahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to manahoonie Send a message via MSN to manahoonie Send a message via Yahoo to manahoonie
yeah, i have the same annoying rattle in my 02 sedan. i always thought it was in the liner (in particular i thought it was the wires for the dome light hitting the frame), but my friends always said that it sounded like it was further back. anyways, i tried silencing the wires once, but that didn't work, so now i guess i'll tyr silencing the whole liner itself!

7thGen.AT.C.
Old 10-29-2005
CivicForums
Honda Civic

Paid Advertisement

Tags
2008 , 60 , 7th , civic , gen , headliner , honda , liner , mph , rattle , rattles , rear , starts , suspension , wheel