General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

I should make another DIY: Hood Prop

Old 09-27-2005
DIY King

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I should make another DIY: Hood Prop

Hi Guys,

It's bean a while since I put out my last DIY. Life kinda got in the way, but I finally have Internet access at home, so I'll try to put up a couple of DIY's that haven't seen the light of day yet. One is a hood prop. I actually made one out of aluminum tubing. It's 50% lighter than OEM and it's beefier (I.E. Stronger) since it's a larger diameter. Plus stainless steel hardware and what not. Looks nice. It's almost done. Just one more issue of a snap-in clip that will let it snap into place when the hood is closed. Just showing off and kinda making myself come back and actually post the DIY and the pics.

cya,
M
Old 09-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Welcome back. Actually several people have been asking "where did Grey go". Well put up the DIY and I will sticky it or add it to the DIY section.
Old 09-27-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
hey grey. i will be definitely be doing this diy, but i was wondering if you ever looked into using some hood dampers to open our hoods. it would be tight, something like the tein bonnet dampers, but using ones from the store and some DIYness.
Old 09-27-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
if u can make home made hood strut dampeners that would be awesome...like what parts needed and how to install...i can think of how to do it but i dont want to think that much...i think tein has a kit but i dont wanna pay $$$$ for it
Old 09-27-2005
Crack kills... But then again... So do I...

notoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the roughnotoriouspyro is a jewel in the rough
Didn't someone already make a DIY for this, or was selling dampers a while back. I need to search a bit, but I could have sworn that he was selling dampers and custom chrome valve covers. But I may be wrong.
Old 09-27-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
anything that reduces weight is good
Old 09-27-2005

vietstylez will become famous soon enough
yes! hood dampers!
Old 09-27-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
Originally Posted by stpyro8
Didn't someone already make a DIY for this, or was selling dampers a while back. I need to search a bit, but I could have sworn that he was selling dampers and custom chrome valve covers. But I may be wrong.

i beleive that u are correct...i forgot who it was too but i remember seeing the hood dampers but they were the tein kit he was selling and those chrome valve covers...i would just dip my wire cover in chrome...heh...im going to see which dampers i can use and how i would set it up...i got a basic idea from my friends camero and those tein pics but i want to use small ones...you have to position them right or they wont fit
Old 09-27-2005
7thGen Blacked Out Crew

black05civic is an unknown quantity at this point
ALLMAN made them. Look for his posts. The only problem is the images arent up anymore but the diy is still there.
Old 09-27-2005
I just burnt my tongue

there we go...thats the guy i was lookin for
Old 09-27-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Do a DIY with the TEIN hood dampers

Old 09-27-2005

vietstylez will become famous soon enough
those look expensive
Old 09-27-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by vietstylez
those look expensive
yeah they are like 150-250ish, and theres no 7thgen specific kit. but i do see the hydraulic things at the auto stores for under 10 each....we just need someone that is willing to figure it out.
Old 09-28-2005
Reppin Stage 7

XTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enoughXTREME2K2CIVIC will become famous soon enough
I'm pretty sure a tein set would work on our cars, someone just has to dish out the cash and then make them fit...
Old 09-28-2005
Registered!!

Black03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura aboutBlack03civic has a spectacular aura about
hmm those are nice
Old 09-29-2005

liljoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome back Grey. Looking forward to another fine DIY from the DIY king!

Just so everyone knows, he is talking about a hood PROP, not stuts/dampners I believe.