General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Milled Head

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005
Abortion Survivor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
Milled Head

Hello i wanted to know how many people have a milled head and what is the cam gear setting set at? What are the benefits of milling the head and what are the negatives about milling the head? I am very scarred right now because my mechanic messed up my head so he milled it. I am turbo and I have the Crower Stage two cam and i am going to hook up vtec i am very scarred the valves will hit the pistons. What do you guys recommend i set the cam gear at? I was thinking Advanced 4 degrees. Please help me out. The only good thing about valves hitting pistons is i get to buy pistons and rods with the help of the mechanic. I really don't want this to happen so please help me out any way you guys can.
Old 09-08-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Most heads have a little extra clearance to allow for milling or resurfacing. Once should be fine. You can also get a thicker head gasket to compensate. If your head was overcut, you have to replace it.
Old 09-08-2005
Abortion Survivor

Michalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of lightMichalo187 is a glorious beacon of light
what do you mean overcut?
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

cwick187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had my head milled down after I blew a head gasket...I also had the shop do a Port and Polish and 4 angle valve job...Milling the head pretty much rasies the compression by a little bit...Like tinman said, you can compensate the higher compression after the milling with a thicker head gasket...You just have to make sure that the head isn't milled down too far, because there will be some clearance problems with internal parts in the head
Old 09-08-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Milling = more compression, good for na, bad for turbo. Positives are more power with higher octane gas, but you need cam gear to adjust. I'm still waiting to get mine and tune it. Milling too much can cause problems like head bolts bottoming out, or too much timing belt slack.
Old 09-08-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by Michalo187
what do you mean overcut?
Milling off too much material. BAD.
Old 09-08-2005
Abortion Survivor

Well **** hopefully my mechanic didn't. According to him and another mechanic they say it won't hit especially with the cam gear. One other mechanic told me i am asking for trouble. What do you guys recommend i set the gear at?
Old 09-09-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
normally with a milled head, wil will need to advance the timing a couple degrees to get back to stock. Maybe a bit more if needed. But I'm guessing between 1-4 degrees. Only a dyno will tell.
Old 09-09-2005
DONT PANIC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
4 degrees is a lot.

just get a thicker head gasket to compensate.

Thats the best advice i can give you.
Old 09-09-2005
Premium Member

ya i'm just saying. I wouldn't just choose something without a dyno. But yea thicker head gasket is the best way if you think he took off too much. Aren't you supposed to use domed pistons to increase compression anyway?
Old 09-09-2005
DONT PANIC

turboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to allturboengnr is a name known to all
milling the head accomplished the same thing (to an extent). By making the combustion chamber smaller, you are effectively raising the compression.

You can also change the dynamic compression with valve timing (among other things). So be careful when you adjust the cam.
Old 09-09-2005
Abortion Survivor

I set all the valves at stock settings and I am going to try advancing the cam 2 degrees to begin with and then go from there. On the dyno should i tell them to advance it more to see what happens or what do you guys suggest?
Old 09-09-2005
Premium Member

A few degrees is all I would try. Maybe 3 max and run some better gas.
Old 09-09-2005
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
I had mine like .12 and never adjusted anything
Old 09-12-2005

xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
when i had my d17 still in my car the head was milled twice to rasie compression. liike my tuner always say with milled heads... start with 2 dgrees advance then go from there