General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

***UPDATED***I really, REALLY need some help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
***UPDATED***I really, REALLY need some help!!!

Alright, i recently found a replacement tranny for my 01 auto coupe. Well it was installed yesterday and the person who put it in said when he drove it after the install, ran very good.

Now, i pick up my car and drive 3 miles and the tranny starts to slip alil bit then slips to where it wont go into 3rd gear, then nothing in drive or any lower gears. The check engine light comes on as well. So i take the car back to the mechanic and have him scan the engine to read the code from the check engine light.

A 730 code comes back and in his manual that means something wrong with the Gear Ratio's or gear ratio problem. Now i need help on how to fix this or if anybody knows what the exact problem from that code is. We think that its where when the new tranmission was installed that the ECU or computer in the car doesnt recognize then new tranny and wont let it shift into gears. The technician stated that when he test drove the car it ran perfect, then when i get it 3 miles later after just going to get gas and taking it easy on the car this all happens. So please help me out on what your ideas might be on this.

The mechanic also stated that the code possibly means that the tranny needs to be recalibrated. He doesnt specialize in transmissions but knows general knowledge of how to install and how they work generally. I know i should call a shop or Honda but they will just tell me to bring it in and i dont even know if my car will get up on a roll back wrecker since its lowered.

Thanks,
Injen

Last edited by injencivic; 08-15-2005 at 04:55 PM.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
bump, i took the sticky down, hopefully it will get more noticed now.

injen
Old 08-11-2005
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
It sounds like you postion sensor, located on the side of the tranny. Also there is a process to go through that is outlined in the helms to reprogram the PCM to the new tranny.
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

AlienX will become famous soon enough
code is 4 diggies so is it 0740 ??? need more dteails
I had my tranny swapped b4, no probs, no codes.
Did u pull out the ECU fuse and run the car in learn mode ?
did he fill up w/honda ATF ??? it is required, it has special additives.
Did u put in a diff model tranny ?? ex-lx lx-ex ??
need more info!
Old 08-11-2005
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
I take that back if it were your position sensor the gears would not read on the dash. Like I said there is a process that you have to go through. I would also be sure to check all of the conections to the cylinods (I think that there are two sets)
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

ODB II CODES
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...26#post2854706
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AlienX
code is 4 diggies so is it 0740 ??? need more dteails
I had my tranny swapped b4, no probs, no codes.
Did u pull out the ECU fuse and run the car in learn mode ?
did he fill up w/honda ATF ??? it is required, it has special additives.
Did u put in a diff model tranny ?? ex-lx lx-ex ??
need more info!

I dont know anything about the ECU fuse and running it in learn mode.
Yes, filled it with 4 quarts of honda atf.
No, its for an em2 EX.

I did notice that the small decal with letters/numbers on the rear of the tranny had about 4 numbers different....

My old tranny read....
BMXA- 5212028
1PMX95

And the one i bought says
BMXA-5214212
1PMX95

SO, the difference in those two is the ending of 2028 and 4212( i have no idea if that helps).

Tell me how to run the learn mode cause i dont know if he did that.

Do you think it could be the whole tranny being bad?

Injen
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

he said the code that came up was 730 and in his manual that is gear ratio, i am sure its 0730.

Injen
Old 08-11-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by AlienX

from that list here is what the code says is wrong

P0730 Problem in Shift Control System

I have no idea about the either.

Injen
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you said you put 4 quarts in the tranny? Honda auto trannies require 2.9 quarts of ATF. 4 quarts is was too much.

First try draining the fluid and adding the proper amount in and drive around and see if that cures the problem.

But let me go get my manaul and look up the code and see what it says.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well the manaul says problem in shift control system, but on that list it says incorrect gear ratio. the manaul also says it is for the 2004 model.

But from the manaul it says to check if there are any other codes. and if there isnt to measure the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th clutch pressures. if they arent in spec, repair the hydraulic system and if they are ok, to replace the shift soleniod valve A and B and to replace the AT clutch pressure control soleniod valve A and B, then clear the code and recheck for the same code. And if the code comes back it says to replace the tranny.

I hope this helps you. First try and put the correct amount of fluid in though and clear the code at the same time (pull #6 fuse in under the hood fuse box) for 10 seconds and put back in and see if that cures the problem, if not have the mechanic check those other things.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

^ well since it was a new tranny we used 4 quarts, do you really think the more then 2.9 quarts would hurt the tranny and keep it from performing? Also, i pulled the ECU fuse and replaced it. The car went into all gears fine then after a short time about 5 minutes of going up the street and putting the car in reverse then drive a few times, i had nothing. Turned the car off for a second, then had everything again, but no engine light came on at all during this time.

Injen
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bgoetz
It sounds like you postion sensor, located on the side of the tranny. Also there is a process to go through that is outlined in the helms to reprogram the PCM to the new tranny.

where can i find a "helms"? Thats the book that tells you everything about your car, where it is and how to fix it; correct?

Injen
Old 08-12-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Well, this is a long shot, but maybe it needs something like the idle relearn. To resetting the ECU as before, but this time let the car for 10 minutes in idle. Like I said it's a long shot, but it can't hurt

And yeah, to much fluid can screw it up. The I don't know much about trannies, but my uncle had a tranny problem that ended up being it was over filled. I guess if the shift system in his car was dependant on the hydrolic pressure in the tranny, so by over filling it, the pressure was to high and the car would only go into high gears. Don't know if civics work the same though.
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

^ let it idle in park or what?

Injen
Old 08-12-2005

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
Read here:

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=221592

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing it's in park...
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

^ alright thanks.

Injen
Old 08-12-2005
Registered!!

I looked in the manaul and it says basically to just reset the ECU like everyone else said. No real procedure to program the new tranny.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-12-2005 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2005

Well, like I said, it's a long shot, I think the over fill is more likely, but like I said, it can't hurt
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

i only have two quarts now, you think leaving some of the tranny fluid in right now would hurt it when i add the other two quarts or would just draining the whole thing and adding the only two quarts be the best bet.

Injen
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Jrfish007
Well, like I said, it's a long shot, I think the over fill is more likely, but like I said, it can't hurt

the mechanic said when he first drove the car, it ran perfect; you think over the time i drove it the 4 quarts finally caused it to malfunction.

Injen
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by injencivic
the mechanic said when he first drove the car, it ran perfect; you think over the time i drove it the 4 quarts finally caused it to malfunction.

Injen
I am not sure, It could have. having too much fluid will cause cavitation, basically it will cause the fluid to foam and foam doesnt lubricate. I say drain all the fluid and then add 2.9 quarts in, basically 3 quarts. and if the problem still exists, pull the #6 fuse in the under hood fuse box for 10 seconds and put it back in, that will reset the ECU. I hope that helps.
Old 08-13-2005

Yeah, changing the fluid is my last guess...

On the plus side, you said if you pull the fuse adn reset the ECU, it will work for a short time, so that means the tranny it's self is okay. I personally would take it honda, because it sound like a computer problem, and they probably know how to fix it best. You may also want to look in the TSB's to see if there is anything there about this.
Old 08-13-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
OK for a new tranny with an empty Torque converter it requires 9 qts of ATF. I know this because my tranny was just re-built with the TCI auto master kit and installed etc. Now from the code it seems like a sensor problem. with my install it only took connecting everything back up as normal because the batter was not hooked up. Once installed and the batter was hooked back up it started like nothing changed.
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
I would say if anything, the trans is low on fluid. That and I'm pretty sure there is a specific code if it was one of the trans sensors.
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by eye_see_you
OK for a new tranny with an empty Torque converter it requires 9 qts of ATF. I know this because my tranny was just re-built with the TCI auto master kit and installed etc. Now from the code it seems like a sensor problem. with my install it only took connecting everything back up as normal because the batter was not hooked up. Once installed and the batter was hooked back up it started like nothing changed.
where did you get 9 quarts from, the manaul states for an auto tranny it is 6.3 quarts.
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
Ya, I thought it was closer to 7, not 9, but I didn't wanna say anything cause i wasn't sure. But if your 2.3 qts low on fluid, I could see that being a problem. Also, doesn't the torque converter need to be filled before it's installed or was I just misinformed?
Old 08-13-2005
Registered!!

etdigitalis should not be trusted
so, did draining some of the fluid fix the problem?
Old 08-14-2005
Registered!!

try testing the solenoids,
http://web.appliance411.com/faq/test-solenoid.shtml
Old 08-15-2005
Registered!!

The mechanic said he put in as much fluids as needed, including in the torque converter...

I tried draining the fluids and that didnt work, and pulled the ecu fuse and that also didnt work, but after doing that i still am able to put it in R, D, D3 and D2; but it takes the tranny a second longer to engage in those and when it does is slips till it almost catches on something and locks in, but i am sure it wouldnt last no more then a mile down the road until it failed again.

Injen