General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

60,000 mile Transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richs1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 60,000 mile Transmission fluid change

What color is honda auto tranny fluid. because my fluid is orange.
Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

its suppose to be red. Orange is ok..then eventually it'll start turning black. You should change it soon though.
Old 10-02-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

orange means its contaminated already
Old 10-02-2009
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

ok...i differ to gearbox then..lol.
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

spaceBass13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 01civicexboy
Hey now lets all be nice lol I still havent found the bolt. If anyone has a picture of the exact location of the bolt to drain the tranny I would really appreciate it...
To find this bolt, simply locate your Transmission fluid dipstick. Directly under this, look in under the passenger side, behind center area of tire, there are several bolts that attach to the transmission reservoir.

The easiest way to identify the drain bolt is to use your finger and feel the bolts. There is only one bolt with a 3/8" square hole, which a torque ratchet can fit easily into. Actually, its the only bolt with a square hole. Locate this bolt, and it may be a bit of a struggle to break the bolt due to corrosion. This took all the strength I had, and about 15 tries before I got the bolt loose. After this struggle, its smooth sailing (clean the drain bolt, let all trans fluid drain, replace the drain bolt making sure its tight, and then refill the transmission with a long-neck funnel). I prefer to use the funnel because it saves me having to open the fill bolt which is a pain to get to as well in my 2005 Civic EX. Good luck guys!
Old 10-05-2010
Registered!!

spaceBass13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
its suppose to be red. Orange is ok..then eventually it'll start turning black. You should change it soon though.
Good fluid will be red with a blue hue to it, Honda ATF-Z1 fluid especially. Old, bad, fluid will usually turn an orangey-brown color. Black is really old fluid. Cheers!
Old 10-06-2010
Registered!!

MoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura aboutMoreRicePlease has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ProudMarineDad
My 2001 Civic EX calls for a transmission fluid change at 120,000 and my Haynes repair book agrees.
Is it really so hard to believe that the more frequently you change your fluids, any of them (oil, brake, power steering, coolant, TRANSMISSION), the better for your vehicle. It's quite logical. Sure, the manufacturer has tested, and set time intervals which they recommend, but that doesn't mean that doing it within a smaller interval of time is a bad idea. To put it in a very simple logical way: My car runs better on clean fluids than it runs on dirty fluids. The dirtier the fluid, the worse my car will run. Therefore, if the fluilds are dirty, my car cannot run better. Just because the OEM says that you should service your vehichle, in this case, transmission, at a certain interval, doesn't mean that it is bad practice to service your transmission any sooner. If you wanna let your tranny run on filthy fluid for 20 or 30k, be my guest. Just don't PM Gearbox asking for a DIY on doing a tranny swap in the future.
Old 10-06-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

only thing i would disagree is changing the oil too many times. it can foul out the expensive catalytic converter due the addives burning off during the first 1-2k miles. if you change the oil every 3k, you are greatly speeding up wear of the cat. and wasting perfectly good oil. there is no reason you cannot go 5k miles on conventional (or 10k with lc20 additive). lab tests show over and over that the oil is still good and capable of protecting the engine even at higher mileage. transmission is completely differrent, that oil breaks down way too fast and its always good to have newer fluid in there. same goes for pretty much all the other fluids. but you are pretty safe waiting 3 yrs for brake fluid, 5 yrs for coolant (just be sure to test every year for effectiveness), trans fluid every year, and ps every few yrs. but changing more often will not hurt anything, just waste fluid and $$.