General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Block/Core Heater, Plugging In

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keet will become famous soon enough
Block/Core Heater, Plugging In

It's really cold here in Winnipeg these days, I've been plugging my car in, one of those "assumed" things you do when it's -40c outside. I wanted to find out more about plugging in because I realized I had absolutely no way to know if it was infact plugged in and doing its thing.

That's when I realized there's nothing written about this in my owner's manual. Is this just a standard Canadian option?

I was told it's working when you hear a "hissing" noise when you first plug it in... and to plug it in for more than an hour... but that's all I know. I wish there was some kind of indication light, cuz I don't want to play Russian Roulette with my engine when I need it the most.

So I just want to hear all the things you know about plugging in the block heater (if you have one).
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

ty.barrack is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds kind of lame. I can see why you need it, I assume you keep your car in a garage, there should be some type of indicato light or something, what if you were deaf. is it an oem part, or just something you had installed? there may be instructions with the kit. is it a blanket, or some type of rod or something?
Old 01-26-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
yeah, i have the engine block warmer too, but never installed it(OEM). but its supposed to make a buzzing sound when plugged in. i guess to find out if its working... when you start your car, is the temp already at the lowest mark at cold or above? if it is then its working. the purpose of the plug, is it leads to a heater core thing thats installed in the back of your engine block. when plugged in, the core heats the coolant inside the jackets of the motor so your engines stays warm and reduces cold starts, etc.
Old 01-27-2005
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
yeah like on diesel trucks and stuff.. thats pretty cool.. wish we had those here.. but then again it dosent get much more than maybe -10°f here so no real need for one... and that only happens like once or twice a year
Old 01-27-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Check Canadian Tire. They sell a device that plugs in line with the engine block heater cord. It has diagnostic LEDS on it which tell you if you have power and if the engine block heater is working.
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

AggressiveAdam will become famous soon enoughAggressiveAdam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Keet
It's really cold here in Winnipeg these days, I've been plugging my car in, one of those "assumed" things you do when it's -40c outside. I wanted to find out more about plugging in because I realized I had absolutely no way to know if it was infact plugged in and doing its thing.

That's when I realized there's nothing written about this in my owner's manual. Is this just a standard Canadian option?

I was told it's working when you hear a "hissing" noise when you first plug it in... and to plug it in for more than an hour... but that's all I know. I wish there was some kind of indication light, cuz I don't want to play Russian Roulette with my engine when I need it the most.

So I just want to hear all the things you know about plugging in the block heater (if you have one).
isn't the correct term winterpeg?

just another suggestion, if you have an alarm/remote start system you can set it to start every two hours and run for 15 minutes to keep your engine and fuel lines from freezing, had to do that once or twice here in toronto when it gets super cold.
Old 02-01-2005
Registered!!

Keet will become famous soon enough
Yeah I think I'm gonna get one of those extension cords that the little LED that lights up when there is a current going thru it.
I knew it was plugged in last time (it was around -32c that morning), the temp needle was low but the engine started smooth and warmed up quickly. The block heater itself doesn't circulate any fluids, so that's why I'm guessing it would initially show cold.

I also did some research and apparently the block heater isn't as useful as having good winter oil and keeping the battery warm so you get max power to the starter.
...but still, of all the silly gauges and indicator lights, why can't the block heater have one? ...or I always thought a voltage meter would be nice too, this way you know if your battery is starting to suffer more than it should, especially with all the electronics we put in our Civics.