General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

water pump problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb water pump problem?

hi i was just wondering what the symptoms are for a water pump that has gone bad. this is for my beater car, not my new civic. i changed the thermostat 4 months ago and it takes a long time for the temp needle to reach normal operating range. i thought the guys at the auto store gave me the wrong thermostat (a high temp thermostat). i figured since its winter now its gonna be a hassle to change the thermostat, but i was just wondering if it could be the water pump that has gone bad. any help would be nice, thanks
Old 01-07-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Are you loosing coolant? Can you see coolant leaking around the waterpump? Does the pump rattle or make any noise? Then maybe it's the pump. But it's not unusual for the engine to warm up slowly in the winter. When it's real cold, I have to put cardboard across half the radiator on my truck.
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tinman
Are you loosing coolant? Can you see coolant leaking around the waterpump? Does the pump rattle or make any noise? Then maybe it's the pump. But it's not unusual for the engine to warm up slowly in the winter. When it's real cold, I have to put cardboard across half the radiator on my truck.
no signs of coolant loss at all. none on the floor and theres still stuff in the reserve tank, etc. i know cars warm up slower in the winter but i have to drive probably at least 2 miles before the needle even begins to move up or get any heat. i suspect something is wrong because it takes some time for the car to warm up in the summer too when i replaced the thermostat.
Old 01-08-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
well if it seems fine now i wouldnt worry about it... wait till it starts getting warmer and check your coolant on a daily basis... then if you see that your loosing coolant or if it still takes a while for it to warm up on a warm day then something MIGHT be wrong
Old 01-09-2005
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
When driving my non-Honda cars, I always knew the water pump was going out because coolant would leak from the weep hole in the pump. And if I didn't do anything about it fast enough, the coolant would pour out all over the ground when I stopped my car. Sounds like the thermostat to me, although it's never been a bog hassle for me to change one out. Does the heater put out warm air even though the temp guage says the car is cold?
Old 01-09-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Well, if it started when you replaced the thermostat, it goes to reason that the problem IS with the thermostat. Did you replace with OEM or aftermarket? Next time you are bored, get the original from (Ghasp!) THE DEALER...... and pop it in there.
There are some parts I will NEVER replace with aftermarket. Also, just cause it's new doesn't mean it's not possibly defective.

BTW, if your car needs a BYPASS type thermostat and you put in a regular one, you will also have problems.
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

well, i originally replaced the thermostat shortly after i got the car because the car would never warm up and always run with a cold engine. i went to autozone to buy a thermostat, but i cant trust those people there cuz they dont seem like they know what they're doing. the heater does blow out warm (not hot) air before the temp needle even reaches the lowest marking. i'm guessing its either a defective or a high temp thermostat in there. thanks for all your input guys, and by the way, my beater is a '90 civic.
Old 01-09-2005

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nicexproductionz is just really nice
i never trust autozone.. i went to autozone to buy a TIE ROD END and then they pulled it out and im like... what the hell is that... its like double the length of the original one... im like dude.. somethings wrong with your computer if thats telling you it will fit a 2001 or higher cause its double the size and those will fit a 2000 or lower civic...all they could say was "thats whats the computer says".... what dumbasses
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

^^^ i agree, some of the employees arent the sharpest tools in the shed...
Old 01-09-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
well, i originally replaced the thermostat shortly after i got the car because the car would never warm up and always run with a cold engine. i went to autozone to buy a thermostat, but i cant trust those people there cuz they dont seem like they know what they're doing. the heater does blow out warm (not hot) air before the temp needle even reaches the lowest marking. i'm guessing its either a defective or a high temp thermostat in there. thanks for all your input guys, and by the way, my beater is a '90 civic.
Buy a HONDA thermostat for cold climates. Make sure your fan does ot run until the engine is hot. I'm not sure... did the 90's still have an iron block or were they aluminum already.... in any case, use the real deal from honda and check the fan. It should be OFF when you start the car. I do know the older honda's took a bit longer to heat up, though. My 77 and 82 Accords took a good 2-3 miles or so. Those were iron blocks, though.