General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Make A Fuel Magnet

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L0budjetracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Make A Fuel Magnet

this is kinda like the Top Fuel Power Neo

this is what the power neo claims:
When the fuel passes through the POWER NEO the heat-resistant high magnitism magnets break long fuel molecules into smaller fuel molecules that are easier to oxidize(burn) when injected into the engine. This small change in the fuel properties drastically improve throttle response, increase output torque and gas mileage while smoothing out engine idle.

This thing sells for 160+, I wonder if one of the ebay or D.I.Y. fuel magnets would do the same. Here is a link if anyone is interested in making one. I'm thinking of tryin it, if anyone else has one or tried it please let me know. I've seen a member on here with it but i forgot whoe it was, everyone was askin wha tis that on his fuel line. I don't relly care about gains but fuel saving just an idea.

MAKE A FUEL MAGNET
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Great. Gonna have a field day on this one. This is absolute garbage. Its claims are not based upon any sound science. You cannot simply break short chain alkanes by a wussy bolt on magnet. (any chemists or mechanical engineers please add input here). If you feel any gains it is a placebo effect. You get better mileage and better torque, etc because you know it's there and you *think* it is doing something. This is right up there with those $150+ shiny boxes people bolt to their batteries thinking it gives all these magical performance gains. The formula people use to sell this garbage is simple. Make something bolt-on so an average joe can install it. Then, make some quasi-scientific claims on how it improves things so it impresses the "tuner" people. Next make it into some attractive shiny metalic package, preferably with LEDs. Finally package it with some phoney computer generated graphs. All there is to do is wait and the money comes in. This stuff on the market is a real load of crap.
From the US FTC:
"The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has tested over 100 supposed gas-saving devices - including mixture "enhancers" and fuel line magnets - and found that very few provided any fuel economy benefits."

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/gasalrt.htm
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I've run a few experiments myself over the years in the family's shop and it does change things around a bit to have a magnent present..... but only if it's directly next to the atomizing part, e.g. injector or jet.

The only way I've personally made them work is by putting them on the fuel input line about an inch from the jet's of a carb, never tried on an EFI car. I saw an immediate 10mpg jump, from 12 to 22 mpg on an old truck I had.

A friend of the family, who is also a PHD in fluid dynamics and has masters in physics, mech. engeneering and a bachelors in chemistry ran the fuel through a radiator-looking assembly (with the pipes making 180 degree bends within a confined space) and used several 600lb test electromagnets saw an increase on his chevy S10 from 15 to 35 mpg. The cost for the magnets at the time was quite more than what he'd save on gas for the next year, however, but it was an interesting proof of concept.

A deeper look into the link you provided, tacheon, reveals that only one of the devices could have been a magnet of sorts (unless I missed something). Even then, it was tested in 1981 where the strength of magnets was lower for the price than today's are. Furthermore, the company who made the device didn't disclose any technical information to the EPA claiming trade secrecy. No telling how strong the magnet was. Also the vehicle they tested it on is not listed except a code. This would make a diffeance as it could have been something with much larger fuel lines and more fuel flow. Put a strong enough magnet next to water and it will align the molecules. Put it next to petrolium distilates and it will align them too, truncating longer carbon chains by snapping them during alignment.

"All molecules, placed in a magnetic field, have a slight tendency oriented, or aligned."
http://nmr.ioc.ac.ru/nmric/c2b.htm

With that being said, unless you are willing to go to extreme measures, a fuel-line magnet would be a waste of time. First off, turbulence de-polarizes polarized liquids. Secondly injectors are fired by impulses that run solenoids which are magneticly operated. Interfering with their firing would be a bad thing. Putting a very large magnet next to injectors would likely be a bad idea. Third and relating to the first, there is a lot of turbulence in fuel injectors, and turbulance tends to de-polarize liquids with some haste. In a carburated engine (such as what myself and Sam have run tests on) there is no pre-atomization turbulence of the fuel.

Verdict: Save your money and take the girl out more. Much better way to spend your money and your time.

Verdict
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

L0budjetracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Whoa! thanks for saving me some time n skrillaz guys!
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

518 is on a distinguished road
Very impressive nivenmk1
Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

lol, thanks 518, just doin' what I can.

Old 07-28-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nivenmk1
"All molecules, placed in a magnetic field, have a slight tendency oriented, or aligned."
http://nmr.ioc.ac.ru/nmric/c2b.htm
I've done NMR analysis. NMR in chemistry-geek talk means nuclear magnetic resonance. An NMR machine is a massive electromagnet which produces a very stable field for determining the atomic structure of molecules. This is the only purpose of the electromagnet in this device. It can also be used to image soft tissue. This device is commoly called an MRI machine or a Magnetic resonance imaging machine. It is basically the same thing as an NMR machine, but the medical community changed the wording of the name since "nuclear" scares people. The magnets on an NMR are something on the scope of 6 Tesla. This is enough to launch a coin, screw, or anything ferromagnetic at very high velocities through you as well as rip out stainless steel implants from your body. In otherwords, it would never be safe to use outside a lab setting. This is a far cry from these clamp on magnets that these companies are pushing. The magnets on these things It angers me that there are folks who are out there to make a quick buck by selling bogus gadgets and claiming it does the same thing. Nobody expects a non-chemist or non-science person to understand this stuff, so please ask questions before you put money into something which sounds too good to be true.
Old 07-29-2004
Registered!!

*drools* I'd so much enjoy time messing with an NMR.... Putting one on your car would align your fuel molecules quite nicely.... Would be rather fruitless as a 6T magnet would likely wrap your car's frame around itself. Just thing of what would happen to your poor 'vic if you installed your honkin' magnets with the poles repulsing.... crank it up (from your towed fusion power cart) and it rips your car into flying sections.

This thread started because someone asked questions, and they've got answers, which is pretty much that it's a good concept and idea but not cost-effective or easy at all, especially with functionality questions due to intra-injector turbulence and mounting strong magnets in the vacinity of said injectors and lots of other elctronic bits under the hood.