General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Transmission HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2k1civicExCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission HELP!!!

okay heres the problem; i have an automatic and everytime the car goes from 1st to second the car kinda jerked hard. then from second to third the rpm's go up like 300-400 rpms during the shift. i don't know if the transmission is going or if it is something else. i only have 45,000 miles on it. any help would be great. thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

skarteez is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah its probably the transmission slipping. wonder if replacing the tranny fluid will help?

you drive your car hard? neutral drops? excessive torque braking? dumping the shifter into "2" while going like 40mph? smash it into D or R while going the opposite direction too fast?
Old 03-07-2004
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
get your ecu flashed and have them check out your tranny.
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

bac7213 is an unknown quantity at this point
na man ur tranny is going bad already, i had mine ****edup i had liek 35 k miles on it, if it revs before it catches gear and then goes into gear that mean BAD TRANNY, **** man it suxs doesnt it??, its not the fluid or n e thing, but just be warned that one day ur car will go into first gear and then studder a lil and then juts not move, like what hapened to me lol, aight man peace
Old 03-07-2004
Registered!!

Aaggie77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Lucky you. I have a 5-speed and didn't get the extended warrenty. At 42K miles, My tranny main bearings are going out, as well as 2nd gear syncros. Making a 10-15 mph right hand turn I put my car into 2nd gear. Just as I let off the clutch, it will pop out of gear... 4 or 5 times in a row. My car is in Mexico right now getting work done to it as I write this. I didn't get the warrenty because it's a HONDA! Last ime I make that mistake.
Old 03-07-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I also have an auto and there is a 1-2sec pause before it switches gears. It's been doing it since the car was new, so I don't know. I guess just drive it til it breaks, then hopefully you still have warrenty.
Old 03-08-2004
Protected from the BMM.

SexyTurboCiv is an unknown quantity at this point
mine falls out of first all the time. it sucks ***. then it will rev a little before grabbing into third. stoopid new generation crap.

its been doing this from the begining, but getting worse the harder i drive it. oh well.
Old 03-08-2004

03HondaEx is an unknown quantity at this point
Same here, Damn, I knew I should have bought an HX with a CVT...
Old 03-09-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Grounding the tranny to the negative terminal will make shifting smoother, as will changing the tranny fluid. It's recommended to change it every 15K miles.
Old 03-09-2004
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by gearbox
I also have an auto and there is a 1-2sec pause before it switches gears. It's been doing it since the car was new, so I don't know. I guess just drive it til it breaks, then hopefully you still have warrenty.
I have an auto and it takes 1-2 sec for the gear to engage when I shift into D, but that delay is gone if i step on the gas immediately. Other than that, the tranny performs flawlessly.
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

ALLcustom2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mine just stopped working today, it started slipping last night. The guy that towed it to my house said that it could just be a filter or something because when I got home, after it cooled off a little, it worked ok. We'll see... I was selling it today too. Grrr! PM me if you have any advice...
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

ssmshortie will become famous soon enough
yea thats what happend to mine right as i was goin up a hill it just wouldnt go
Old 03-09-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by SexyTurboCiv
mine falls out of first all the time. it sucks ***. then it will rev a little before grabbing into third. stoopid new generation crap.

its been doing this from the begining, but getting worse the harder i drive it. oh well.
I was going to say to take it to the dealership before your warranty runs out... but then I saw that you're boosting. I found another 5-speed on e-Bay(the same guy who is selling the auto) and will ship to Yuma, AZ for $125 plus the $465 for the tranny. About $200 for an install from a good mech and you get a way with only spending @$800. I went ahead and spent the money and replaced all the bearings and 2nd gear set and am out @$400 fro parts... plus $300 for labor and I'm a little better off. Damn extended warranty.
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

thats the thing i don't do neutral drops slam into R while in D or anything stupid. is there a recall and about how much will it cost me to replace the tranny through honda w/ install? thanks for all the help so far guys.
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

ReD2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
i dunno how much honda charges but i kno my friend has a 4dr 2002 and it had less than 30k and it was doin the same thing ur expeirencing and then i just suddenly wouldnt work at all so honda replaced it but it was under warranty
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

I looked up the cost of a new 5-speed tranny from Honda. $2126.59 is the list price at Manchester Honda. Their price is $1616.21. I couldn't find an automatic. I know a guy over here told me that a R&R job would cost $292.00 in labor. That's at $48/hr.
Old 03-14-2004
Registered!!

SilverSivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
does our transmission rev the engine before it shifts gears? My tranny will rev up to a certain point when I drive the car right after a cold start. I thought it was just a way of the computer compensating for the engine not being warmed up. Any ideas guys?
Old 03-14-2004
Premium Member

That usually means the tranny is slipping gears.
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
Well, my car used to shift hard into second and slip between 2nd and 3rd....that was 3 weeks ago, now I have no 3rd gear and I'm dropping it off at the dealer on Tuesday. Lucky for me, the "service advisor" at my dealer is cool and when I explained to him that my car was lowered and had an aftermarket intake, he said it wouldn't make a difference and actually explained the warranty law to me.
Old 03-15-2004

player will become famous soon enoughplayer will become famous soon enough
transmissions are slow
Old 03-15-2004
Registered!!

2k2civic should not be trusted2k2civic should not be trusted
Originally posted by player
transmissions are slow
^^that was an ignorant and pointless post.
Old 03-18-2004
Registered!!

debbz is an unknown quantity at this point
so has there been a prob with the trannys in 01 vicz? i was told 01s have bad probz with them...
Old 03-20-2004
Premium Member

I've been told the same thing. They're not as well-built. I would highly recommend changing the fluid every 15K if you want it to last. I did mine at 18K and it was black with lots of metal pieces near the bottom. I'm doing it again today, at 22K miles.

The manual says to drain and refill several times, but the dealer and most people only do it once. It's too expensive to do that (only 3 quarts is almost $20). So I just drain and refill whenever I feel a loss in shifting response.

Remember that there's alot more dirty fluid left in the system after you drain out just the three quarts. And just DIY it. It's a simple bolt removal to drain, and then just pouring new fluid in.
Old 03-20-2004
Registered!!

Show pics if you can to explain what bolts and what kind of oil to use on our trannys. I have a 5-speed.
Old 03-21-2004
Registered!!

debbz is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks gearbox
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

GREAT F\/cking news!!!! honda is replacing my transmission for free due to "manufacturer defect". they also said that they were replacing the SRS UNIT saying the transmission caused it to malfunction. i was so damn happy . but the only thing was they had my car for a whole week
Old 04-08-2004
Registered!!

tdiddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wish i got news like that, i just spent 1500 on my tranny. Turbo is gonna have to wait another season.
Old 04-10-2004
Registered!!

Bad news. My tranny went out again. The first time it was the bearings and the 2nd gear syncro. I tried to go to Tucson last Friday. It kept poping out of 5th gear while I was going about 90mph. about 40 miles out of Yuma, it poped out the last time. I couldn't move it (the shifter) left, right, into 3rd or 4th. The damn thing was stuch in neutral dead center. I was so pissed off. I am going to take it back to the place where they replaced the other ****. If I can't prove that it was from something he did or if it's going to cost me more than $200. I'm going to ask $500 for the car and report it stolen. F@(k it, they wonn't find it in Mexico.
Old 04-10-2004
Registered!!

Oh, by the way, If I do sell (get rid of) the car, who would be interested in a Chrome Neuspeed front strut bar and a 3 month old set of Tein Super Street coilovers & a Revo SS with CapYoda's bushings and Greys kits? I don't want anyone telling me that this belongs in the for sale forum. I'm not selling... yet....just wondering if someone would buy.