Hybrid Engine/IMA battery system The hybrid have a very different engine and Battery system (IMA), so this forum is for items related to the Hybrid cars alone. If they are same as the regular cars, please post there instead.

check engine light keeps coming on

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
curlykimba is an unknown quantity at this point
check engine light keeps coming on

Hello fellow hybrid owners!

I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid and for the last 1-2 years the check engine light keeps coming on. At first the dealer couldn't find anything wrong, then finally they replaced the catalytic converter. All was well for a while, then the light came on several more times. Finally they said the EGR valve was getting stuck intermittently.(the car had been stuttering & the gas mileage was very bad). After the EGR valve replacement, the car ran better than when I first bought it! But then the light started coming on again after a month or so. They replaced the catalytic converter again! Again, all was well for a while, then the light started coming on again. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last few weeks! It comes up as a misfiring cylinder or something to do with the ignition system, but when they check the spark plugs, etc, they can't find anything wrong & can't get the light to come back on. This is driving me crazy.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem? Other than that, the car runs great & when I 'm doing highway driving, I can get 533 miles on one tank of gas!
Old 06-19-2006
eat
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eat is an unknown quantity at this point
I had my EGR valve replaced because my car was jerking as I decelerated slowly (coasting). It ran better... now it's doing that jerking motion occasionally.
Now I am having this grinding noise when I accelerate froma complete stop. The faster/slower I accelerate, the louder/softer it is. Anyone heard of this?