Hybrid Engine/IMA battery system The hybrid have a very different engine and Battery system (IMA), so this forum is for items related to the Hybrid cars alone. If they are same as the regular cars, please post there instead.

Real world gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Real world gas milage

Would someone here please post there average mpg in a hybrid? Im curious because I am averaging 35mpg in my EX and cant imagine how much better it could be in a hybrid.
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

fivespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
"Hybrids focus on the very essence of an internal combustion engine's fuel burn characteristics. Whether the engine is petrol or diesel powered, the phases of high fuel consumption take place when the vehicle is accelerating from standstill or during periods of peak power demand, such as when the driver is overtaking.

Not stopping with just aiding in cutting fuel consumption during these phases, hybrids also optimise energy usage in the car by reconverting the engine's kinetic energy into electrical power to recharge the batteries, when the car is coasting and decelerating. To achieve this, hybrid cars employ a power-split device to route power to the wheels from the twin sources and by the addition of a generator to ensure that the battery can be recharged or to convert power to be directly routed to the electric motor
"

from an article in the Hindu business journal.:
http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...2102161500.htm.

The key saver would seem to be reconvergence of power and less gas usage.
I would say for freeway drivers with stop and go traffic patterns the savings would be huge in terms of spending on gas.

Fuel Type Regular
MPG (city) 47
MPG (highway) 48
MPG (combined) 47
Fuel Economics
Cost to Drive 25 Miles $1.57
Fuel to Drive 25 Miles 0.53 gal
Annual Fuel Cost $943
Old 05-24-2006
Registered!!

pico is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you own a hybrid? Are those your mpg numbers? If that is an epa estimate, thats not real world. The epa estimate on my car is 40 highway. I get 35mpg with 90 percent highway driving. I know what the estimates are...49 city/51 highway. what do owner's really get?
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

CG99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Those arent his numbers.. they are from a website. They are probably Honda's marketing numbers i would say!
Obviously they will never translate into the real world.
Old 08-20-2006
Registered!!

Gourdhedd is an unknown quantity at this point
My wife has the 2006 HCH and mileage seems to avg about 45mpg. We use the A/C continuously, however. There's no way around that here.

Gary
Old 08-21-2006
Registered!!

mikef is an unknown quantity at this point
great mpg

I had expected to get no more than low 40's given real world conditions and my inexperience with hypermiling techniques. On a trip to Montreal last week, I got an amazing 55.5 mpg for the 150 miles, doing my best to maximize. Over all, for the 3000 miles we've driven our HCH II, it's averaging 46+ mpg. I am very pleased. The brutal winter climate here will likely take that down, however.

My vehicles:
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid
1999 Honda Odyssey EX [22 mpg]
Old 09-11-2006
Registered!!

XerEagle is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been steadily getting better and better FE since purchasing the HCH II. On my last tank of gas I averaged 52.8mpg over 513.1 miles. With over 3300 miles on my Civic Hybrid I?m averaging 47.4mpg real world numbers.

I obtained this by accelerating up to speed fairly quickly and then trying to use a Pulse and Glide method to keep my instantaneous MPG high. I do not drive the same as I did when I owned an RX-8, but I don?t putt-putt around either. A/C (auto climate control) is on most of the time, although I don?t like to freeze so I keep it at a moderate temperature.

My description of a Pulse and Glide method is as follows:

1. Pulse (accelerating up to speed fairly quick) to 2 to 5mph over speed limit, glide back to speed limit or mph I want, while monitoring the Instantaneous Fuel Economy gauge. It will spike at 100mpg and stay that way for a while.

2. Glide using a feather touch on the gas peddle to maintain speed while monitoring the road pitch; sloping up or down and adjust acceleration/coasting accordingly.
Old 11-19-2006
Registered!!

imported_Goose is an unknown quantity at this point
I for one will state that I am UNimpressed with the mileage of mine. I must take into account that I don't drive around like a 95 year old blue hair but still my mileage is NOWHERE near what the sticker "CLAIMS".

I average 39-42mpg with most of mine being around in town. If I had known that, I would have purchased the EX.
Old 11-23-2006
Registered!!

SoK66 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pico
Would someone here please post there average mpg in a hybrid? Im curious because I am averaging 35mpg in my EX and cant imagine how much better it could be in a hybrid.
I just traded my '04 Honda Insight CVT for an '07 Civic Hybrid, which has 1500miles on it now. I seem to be getting an indicated overall average of 48.2 mpg. On a recent 700 mile trip through the SW Colorado / NW NM mountians it got 51.5 mpg. By comparison, the little Insight CVT got 60.6 over the 11,000 miles I owned it.

Mileage on hybrids is going to be heavily dependent upon where & how you drive, whether you use a/c all the time, tire pressures, etc. I live in a mountainous area which seems to be ideal for hybrids. Neighbors with Toyota Priuses get higher than average reported mpg as well. By comparison, the previous owner of my '04 Insight got rid of it because he never got better than 40 mpg, commuting from Riverside, CA into LA every day.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

06CivicHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point
48 City , 57 Hwy with a bit over 2K miles and driving at: for example 40 MPH normal driving is +or - 5 MPH. this is also on pretty much flat surfaces.

A/C is also continously running.
Old 11-25-2006
Registered!!

06CivicHybrid is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Goose
I for one will state that I am UNimpressed with the mileage of mine. I must take into account that I don't drive around like a 95 year old blue hair but still my mileage is NOWHERE near what the sticker "CLAIMS".

I average 39-42mpg with most of mine being around in town. If I had known that, I would have purchased the EX.
the wierdness with the Hybrid is that you have to "adjust" the throttle while driving, what you average is with my driving and i have a very heavy foot.
Old 11-30-2006
Registered!!

kpalmal is an unknown quantity at this point
Real world:

http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/
Old 12-14-2006
Registered!!

Cliffy is an unknown quantity at this point
Big disparity in actual numbers !!

I'm astonished at these numbers in the above posts. I live in Ottawa, Canada, so that's a relatively cold climate. As a result, I have my heater on a fair bit. And the driving has been all city so far, on flat land.

My on-dash indicator says I'm getting only about 33mpg (7.3l / 100km). The car is brand new - less than 700 miles (1200km). Can anyone offer any explanation why it's so low compared to the other posts here?

Any other cold-climate numbers ?
Old 12-16-2006
Registered!!

Dinsley is an unknown quantity at this point
Had ours since August, 06. Getting around 34mpg. mix of city and highway. Have somewhat of a heavy foot on acceleration. On highway trip of 200 miles, got around 44mpg, which quickly went down when we got where we were going and tooled around town. We're not that happy with the MPG. Could've spent a lot less and gotten a regular Civic and almost done as well.
Old 12-17-2006
Registered!!

imported_Goose is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's some additional info....I just took mine in for it's first oil change/tire rotation. I also complained about the lack of MPG to the dealer and asked that they check it out.

My printed receipt states this....

"7457 Lead Honda tech has previously called Honda on this concern, Honda has approx. 15 hybrid them selves & all are getting any where from low 30's to low 40's mpg checked for any tsb's, none apply to this vin#"
Old 12-20-2006
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'm astonished at these numbers in the above posts. I live in Ottawa, Canada, so that's a relatively cold climate. As a result, I have my heater on a fair bit. And the driving has been all city so far, on flat land.

My on-dash indicator says I'm getting only about 33mpg (7.3l / 100km). The car is brand new - less than 700 miles (1200km). Can anyone offer any explanation why it's so low compared to the other posts here?

Any other cold-climate numbers ?
its because your engine is not broken in yet, after a few thousand miles your rings will have seated and you will get better gas mileage
Old 03-01-2018
Registered!!

Raybeam is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Real world gas milage

2015 Civic Hybrid 9000 miles. Not a typo 9,000.
Yesterday 2/28/2018. Mostly highway. Temperature 50deg F
12 miles from Rochester to Webster Ny
51 to
49 back.