Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Did I just get taken to the cleaners?

Old 08-25-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ngrome is an unknown quantity at this point
Did I just get taken to the cleaners?

My car wouldn't start so I checked the fuel lines and I was getting fuel and the pump was flowing. So pretty much guessed it was something in the ignition system. I had it towed to the dealer service center and they replaced the rotors, harness, etc., all for around $450. No problem. They did notice an oil leak around the oil pump, I knew there was a leak there, paid no heed to it, didn't lose a lot of oil, but they recommended I change the seal around the oil pump and the oil pan gasket. Sure, another $700 because the job took 6.5 hours because they said they had to basically remove the front end of the engine to get to it. Induction system cleanup, 4 wheel alignment, I agreed to about $1200 worth of work.

But what got to me was when they changed the fuel filter they said there was a lot of sediment and was almost clogged. But when I was testing for fuel flow when the car wouldn't start, the fuel pump was spurting fuel right through the filter, at pretty strong pressure I thought because my neighbor was keeping a thumb over it and it was spraying out of the top of the fuel filter. But they said that there's probably a lot of dirt, sediment, and crap in the fuel tank based on how the filter looked, and yes, I haven't changed that filter in maybe 5 years, almost 100K miles. Well the car has 155K miles on it and they recommended the gas tank be removed, cleaned, and reconditioned which I unfortunately agreed to, that was another $400.

I really didn't mind the $1200 worth of work I described, because I knew the car leaked oil, ignition system probably needed an overhall and all the other stuff like the alignment, which they said they needed to do after working on the front end to get to the oil pump seal to replace it. But this gas tank R/R cleanup, what do you think? I mean, if they did do it, wouldn't you think my tank would be empty or they would have filled it up? But it looked like my tank had the same amount of gas in it when I left it at the dealer, a little less than half tank, unless they filled it to that same amount. How can I verify that a gas tank was cleaned like they said it was? I probably could've avoided this situation if they didn't see it when I asked them change the fuel filter like I asked them, but that's probably what I get for not changing it in five or so years...
Old 08-25-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Did I just get taken to the cleaners?

damb dood! that's alot of coin. that's like 1/9th to 1/5th of the price the car is worth if it's an 01-05. not sure what the prices are down there for 7thgens if that's what you have.
Old 08-26-2010
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jsmithe2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Did I just get taken to the cleaners?

Any time u go to a shop, they are going to try to up-sell you, that's just reality. U probly didn't need the tank work. But hey, now u know for certain your fuel system is good for the rest of the life of the car.