Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

CAI question

Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xbIGdUSTIN22x is an unknown quantity at this point
CAI question

Do you have to use all the piping that comes with a CAI kit? I was just wanting to remove the middle pipe so I can get to the air filter easier. Will it mess it up if I do remove it?
Old 08-20-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grendel has a spectacular aura aboutgrendel has a spectacular aura about
Re: CAI question

Why not just get a short ram then?

edit: In other words, my suggestion would be to use the product as intended. If you are wanting something else, just get something else.
Old 08-20-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Like grendel said then why not get a short ram intake. Completely defeating the purpose of buying a cold air intake and taking the piping off to where the filter is in the bay and not the bumper. Why pay the extra cash.
Old 08-25-2010
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

if you already baught it then yes if it fits you can use just the first pipe. but as the two above me have mentioned, what you'll be doing, is running a short ram intake. a cold air and a short ram are the same thing, some lenght of pipe(ing), a filter and the hardware to connect everything. it's just placment of the filter either closer or farther from the throttlebody, by length of pipe(ing), that makes it cold or short. the cold air lets colder air into the engine because it sucks the air from a spot that isn't heated by the engine. these usually run to the bottum of the enginebay, using usually two pipes. the colder the air the more hp. there are downsides though. if you run a cold air and you hit a puddle or enough rain your engine can hydrolock, not good! a short ram uses the air from inside the engine bay, so it's hot air. it will still breath better then the stock airbox because the stock has a resinator which dampense the sound of the intake but by doing this you loose airflow and power. the short doesn't have as much piping so i'd asume that it flows better then the cold, but the cold will mostlikely make more power. the short would be very hard to hydrolock though and that's why i have one because it almost always rains here in bc. as for power either one of these options alone will not generate much of a gain. but they look better and sound more agressive then a stock setup.