Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Cleaning under the Hood

Old 08-15-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBS36606 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cleaning under the Hood

I am a new DIYer. I noticed in many pics that people have very clean engines and other aux. equipment under the hood. Where do I start? Any opinions? I would think that using the hose would he harmful to electrical components.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-15-2010
Low and slow!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough
Re: Cleaning under the Hood

If its dirty just wash it. You can use a water hose on it and will not hurt anything. Just do it when the engine is cool and wait for it to dry.
Old 08-15-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I just give my engine bay a wipedown with a damp rag every time I wash it. It doesn't get all the dirty grime down below, but it makes everything visible look good.
Old 08-15-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

damp rag with water works great. otherwise degreaser for the tough oil stains. and some plastic protectant for the plastic pieces. metal polish for the metals. dont use any water, there are alot of electronics that should not be wet. i need to spend some time on mine again...
Old 08-16-2010
Low and slow!

02civicsi02 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
damp rag with water works great. otherwise degreaser for the tough oil stains. and some plastic protectant for the plastic pieces. metal polish for the metals. dont use any water, there are alot of electronics that should not be wet. i need to spend some time on mine again...
I spray mine with a water hose all the time and alot of people I know do it and there is no problem. The wires and stuff will not get hurt cause none of them are protruding out of the covers they are in.
Old 08-16-2010
Registered!!

CivicRage is an unknown quantity at this point

I've tried degreaser and a hose a few times and when it all dries it pretty much still looks like garbage. Old **** that wasnt taken care of is usually gonna stay old **** that wasn't taken care of looking. What i'm gonna do is pull the tranny out of my car to have it rebuilt soon and when its out get in and clean everything that you cant normally reach. Otherwise you only get so much accomplished...If you're truly **** , then take parts off one by one and clean them by hand and put them back in.. A guy i know has to even have his chassis painted on his car or he cant stand to drive it..It has to "match" the paint as if anyone can really see it.
Old 08-16-2010
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to allMad Dog Tannen is a name known to all

Foamy Engine Brite made by Gunk. I use it before I work on my engine it works very well!
Old 08-16-2010
Banned

Prodresurgence will become famous soon enough

I just spray mine down with simple green let it sit for a minute while I wash the under side of the hood then hose it all off.
Old 08-16-2010
Registered!!

Nosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the roughNosepicker is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mad Dog Tannen
Foamy Engine Brite made by Gunk. I use it before I work on my engine it works very well!
That's what I was looking for but mistakenly bought a degreaser (the oily kind) and this was the result: Duh!