Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

factory clutch question.

Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ethanjames is an unknown quantity at this point
factory clutch question.

long story short. i just bought an '02 civic ex coupe manual, with 130k on it.. not really looking to mod it, bought it for reliability and gas mileage. maybe exhaust, headers, and intake eventually.. ANYWAY, i was driving in stop and go traffic on the 405 in LA over the weekend, and my clutch started seizing up, and eventually started smoking. for a few miles before the catastrophe, it was like i was driving with my parking brake on.

turns out it was the clutch master cylinder, had it replaced with a brand new clutch because it was burned beyond recognition. my new clutch feels great, but i'm concerned about a grinding noise when i'm downshifting to third, and second gear.

any ideas of what this may be? the clutch is factory, and brand new.. but it was NOT installed by a factory mechanic. thanks for any input you guys and gals may be able to give me. i'm gearing up to take it back to the mechanic kicking and screaming unless i don't have reason to be concerned.
Old 06-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: factory clutch question.

Probably need to change the tranny fluid. I don't think a clutch change could create gear grinding while downshifting. A clutch kinda works or it doesn't. Or it's possible your not used to the new clutch so your not shifting smoothly?
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

D17cancun is an unknown quantity at this point

prob while the old cltuch was dying, when you were trying to shift you sshould demage those syncros bro....

so the issue is on the syncros cuz the syncro can not stop the gear for the selector can go into the gear whised, so the tranny have to be out for inspection....good look!

that happen to me, so what i did is change the 4th,5th syncros into the 2nd and 3rd syncros and my tranny is laike new,
here the magic is all the syncros accross the trany are same size, thats my mechanic said...
Old 06-02-2010
Registered!!

ethanjames is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2010
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

No problem