Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Windshield washer fluid problem

Old 02-23-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ghostofsparta is an unknown quantity at this point
Windshield washer fluid problem

In my civic my windshield washer fluid won't squirt. i have had the car for roughly 2 1/2 months now, and when i bought the car it worked fine. i thought the lines might have been frozen or clogged with dirt, so me and a friend cleaned them out. however, that still doesnt solve the problem, so im thinking maybe something is wrong with the pump, any ideas?

Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

wpilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Windshield washer fluid problem

I may have the answer for you. I've recently purchased new a 2010 Honda Civic in January 2010, and have now had the vehicle for a month and a half. It came from Galpin Honda in Mission Hills, Los Angeles, California.

In February 2010 (last month) I had to take a trip in the aforementioned Civic to Colorado. During the trip, I observed that the windshield washer fluid squirted out just fine on my way there. Yet while there on one particular snow stormy day, the jet squirters would not squirt out the liquid to clean the windshield as before. This was a dangerous situation, as I was driving on I-25 between Colorado Springs, CO and Denver, CO during a snowstorm and mud was being flung on my windshield with no way to wipe it off in below freezing temperatures.

After this trip, the next morning I took the car to the local Honda dealer. They had a warmed, heated garage with service advisors and technicians ready to look over my complaint about the car. In a relatively short time, the fluid thawed out, and they squirted it out over the windshield as it had been done before. They informed me that the dealer I bought it from, Galpin Honda, filled the reservoir with "watered down" windshield washer fluid (their guess). They filled the now dry reservoir with Honda authorized windshield washer fluid good for 20 below zero temperatures, tested to ensure that the new fluid would squirt out and clean per manufacturer's specs, and I was on my way again safely. No more problems with the now stronger windshield washer fluid.

Just now, today, March 4, 2010, I spoke with Katrina at American Honda's customer service department. I gave her my question regarding this situation - of the windshield washer fluid not being able to come out of the jets and clean the windshield - and she researched it with her staff and called me back. Her answer is that American Honda fills the windshield washer reservoirs from the factory (not the dealers) and that the fluid is good down to 5 below zero. I told her my story, recounted above, and explained how the stronger fluid was the right fluid to put into the reservoir, and not the 5 below type fluid. She understands, and made note. Hopefully American Honda will make changes to the fluid in the new vehicles on dealer's lots, and replace current owners' vehicles fluid with stronger fluid free of charge as I experienced on this trip.

I don't know what model year Civic ghostofsparta has, nor what part of the country he operates his vehicle in, but if it is a new 2010 Honda Civic, I think I've given you the definitive answer. I hope that this account helps avoid any accidents or deaths attributable to the improper type of windshield washer fluid that might be installed in the reservoir. A small point to be sure. . . how strong the fluid needs to be. . . but one that can become incredibly significant while driving down the road in the conditions I was facing.
Old 03-04-2010
Registered!!

skier7693 is an unknown quantity at this point

when i first started turning my brothers old beater 95 into a street leagal vehicle i had some problems with my window fluid, first i got acess to the fluid pump by taking of the mud flas and wheel well to discover that the pump just didnt work and replaced that for like 20 bucks at auto zone, also about a month later i had the line dryrot on me and had to replace that. this may sound stupid but check to see if the pump is getting power(maybe a fuse, or split wire)
Old 03-04-2010
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sometimes the nozzles clog. take the tubing off and run the pump again if you hear it buzzing. if no sound, replace the pump. sometimes the wire harness connector that plugs into the pump is known to corrode, so check that first.