Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

b16 vs b18??

Old 09-29-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIR REX is an unknown quantity at this point
b16 vs b18??

what are the pros and cons and why should i choose one over the other??and both are dohc v-tec's correct?
Old 09-29-2007
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Re: b16 vs b18??

wrong. b18 is non vtec. and b18 is better for boost
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

dont i want to have a vtec tho??? and why is he b18 better for boost??
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough

It depends on what B18 (ie b18a, b18b, b18c5 etc) your talking about, some have vtec others don't.

Before I go any further, what are your goals and how much money do you want to spend?
Old 09-30-2007
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

both a b18c1 and b18c5 have vtec.

B16 is basically a destroked b18c1. B16 is cheaper, thats the only reason you take a b16 over a b18c1.

if you can afford a b18c1, then i would get it. It just a better plateform to start out with. You can still get power out of the b16 but its just a little harder since its a 1.6L vs 1.8L.
Old 10-01-2007
Registered!!

lemac will become famous soon enough

I would go for the B18 because of the bigger displacement, both are good engines both have tons of after market support. I guess It all depends on your budget or what exactly your looking for in the swap.
Old 10-01-2007
Registered!!

well the honda i have has a problem with it i have no idea how to fix in my town there is a 90 crx si with a b18 in it.. im not sure which one it is but i am looking to trade mine in towards it instead of having to do it all myself.. then i can start from there with it.. i wont say money isnt an option but if i want something the money is available..
Old 10-01-2007
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

why not just buy a car with a b18 already in it. You should find out what kind of b18 it. Because the b18b is completely different from b18c.

B18b = 140hp 6800rpm redline

b18c1 = 170hp 8200rpm

b18c5 = 190 8400rpm

b16b = 160hp 8200 rpm

most honda tuner shops can drop in a b18 within a day or two for around $500 install.
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

how can i tell which one is in it ??because it already has the b18 in it but i dont know weather its a b18 c or a b18 b how can i tell??
Old 10-03-2007
7th gen old timer.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

on the block next to the transmission there is a stamp CLEAR you will see it will say B18XX
you can also tell if the head hasnt been swapped..... by the valve cover.... does it say VTEC on the cover or just HONDA MOTOR CO most likely if it says VTEC and you know its a b18 its a gsr or type r (you would know if it was a typie)gsr usually has black valve cover / type r has red (unless painted) and if it dosnt say vtec its a LS/GS/etc B18a1 or B18b i would guess its a b18a1 cause its one of the easiest to swap into a 4gen.
Old 10-03-2007
7th gen old timer.

CivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond reputeCivicHatch9one has a reputation beyond repute

does your motor look like this? if so its a b18a1

this is a b18b

b18c1

b18c5

or you could look at the stamp it will look like this, you can find it on the block next to the transmission right to the left of the exhaust manifold. it looks like this

Last edited by CivicHatch9one; 10-03-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-03-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CivicHatch9one
on the block next to the transmission there is a stamp CLEAR you will see it will say B18XX
you can also tell if the head hasnt been swapped..... by the valve cover.... does it say VTEC on the cover or just HONDA MOTOR CO most likely if it says VTEC and you know its a b18 its a gsr or type r (you would know if it was a typie)gsr usually has black valve cover / type r has red (unless painted) and if it dosnt say vtec its a LS/GS/etc B18a1 or B18b i would guess its a b18a1 cause its one of the easiest to swap into a 4gen.

he's right the best way to check is on the block. its directly left of the header.
Old 10-04-2007
Registered!!

lemac will become famous soon enough

Also check the head to make sure it is a vtec head... with all the Honda engine swaps and head swaps there will be a chance of it not having original parts. Check the head on the left side in front of the distributer, there should be a vetec solenoid w/a green connection.... if so vtec, if not... non vtec. Its been a while since I looked at or worked on a b series engine, so if I goofed some1 correct please.
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

well if he doesnt want to boost then a b20 is always a good choice as well. I picked up a B20 for $565 and swapped it in my Dc_4 over the weekend. The B20 with a Vtec head will make a ton of power. It just doesnt rev as high. But you will make more torque than any of the above mentioned. With basic bolt-ons and ls cams in a B20 you can make more torque than a b18c5 for less money.
I plan to do a B18c head of any variation soon. I am going to do the porting myself.
Old 10-05-2007
7th gen old timer.

Originally Posted by lemac
Also check the head to make sure it is a vtec head... with all the Honda engine swaps and head swaps there will be a chance of it not having original parts. Check the head on the left side in front of the distributer, there should be a vetec solenoid w/a green connection.... if so vtec, if not... non vtec. Its been a while since I looked at or worked on a b series engine, so if I goofed some1 correct please.
you can just check the valve cover. 95% chance it will say VTEC un less it was shaved off or its a aftermarket valve cover. if he cant tell the motor by looking at it he sure as hell wont know what a vtec solenoid looks like lol
Old 10-05-2007
Registered!!

well i go to look at the car again on monday soo i will look at everything and see what we are working with and i do blan on boostin it soon thanks..
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

so i went and looked today but no vtec.. i believe its a b18a1 but not for sure i didnt have much time to look just poped the hood got a glance and left.. but since its not a vtec what would it take to convert it to a vtec? or is that even possible or worth the time and effort?? and does anyone know about twin turbos on a crx??
Old 10-06-2007
Registered!!

MisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enoughMisterFrankieJ will become famous soon enough

wow go to honda-tech search for ls/vtec and start reading up. You can convert to vtec if you want by using a vtec head. I would also check out the LST thread in the forced induction forum there.

Twin turbo crx? I'm not trying to be rude but are you serious?
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

dbsk8r1212 will become famous soon enough

well if hes askin he might not know.
you ask questions to learn.
and if he/she is like me then well there still learnin.
theres nothin wrong with that.
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

That's why I asked if he was serious. If he is I have no problem in trying to lead him in the right direction.
Old 10-07-2007
Registered!!

dbsk8r1212 will become famous soon enough

oh lol ok
i thought you were like some of those guys on here that just try to put you down cause you wanna learn about civics.
cause ive had alot of guys do that just cause i'm a teen that wants to learn somethin about cars.
nd seein how no ones ever taught me about them i'm learnin about them from this site.
Old 10-08-2007
Registered!!

well i was serious but im guessin by what u guys said then its not a good idea but why?? the only reason i asked is because i seen this bugatti that had 4 turbos.. so i thought to myself if that car can have 4 why cant the crx have 2 ya know?? and yes i am tryen to learn as much about cars as i can this is the first car ive had worth putting money under the hood instead of into a stero.. my thing is spl comps not too knowledgeable about motors.. but i can tell ya anything about stereos
Old 10-08-2007
Registered!!

Keep in mind that the Veyron has 16 cylinders where as 99% of the engines you're going to swap into a crx will be 4 cylinders. A twin turbo set up isn't going to be as efficient as a single, not to mention the huge increase in cost.

Go to honda-tech and start reading whatever interests you. No offense to this site (I've been here for a while and love it) but there's a ton more info on pre 7thgen civics and b-series motors there.
Old 10-08-2007
Registered!!

he's right the bugatti is a w16 engine. That car is just a completely different animal. The bugatti was designed to be high hp, high luxury car with a max speed of 254mph with full interior and sound damping. They probably went with 4 turbos because they wanted power to be delievered as smooth as possible. They probably didn't have too but keep in mind that car was created to helped them gain R & D knowledge. VW actually loses money for every bugatti they make.

Anyways, you can find 1400-1500hp supras on youtube making that power on just two turbos.

You gotta think about what are your power goals? do you want to drag? do you want to auto x? do want to canyon run? A high hp turbo might be useless if your auto'xing if the turbo takes forever to spoon and you might run out of power in the upper rev if your dragging with a smaller turbo.

I suggest just researching and learning about the different b-series engines before you think about turbo. Know the engine first then turbo it. It'll save you a lot of money and head aches in the end.

My suggestion is start with a gsr motor. I think its the best plateform because you'll have no trouble going turbo or NA with that motor.

Check honda-tech.com or teamintegra.net

They have much more knowledge on b-series there. I bet probably 99% of your questions have already been asked and answered on there.

This site is better for knowledge on k-series motors.
Old 10-09-2007
Registered!!

well i appreciate all ur help but i recently found out that the motor in the car i was thinking of buying isnt even a b series motor neway its a zc.. so now i am kinda qurious if its even worth buying..
Old 10-09-2007
Registered!!

Again it depends on your power goals. There are many 300+whp boosted D-series motors out there.
Old 10-10-2007
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SIR REX
well i appreciate all ur help but i recently found out that the motor in the car i was thinking of buying isnt even a b series motor neway its a zc.. so now i am kinda qurious if its even worth buying..
that would have been easy to tell, its a SOHC instead of DOHC