Buy, Sell, & Trade - Archive Get a sweet deal from another member on those parts you've been wanting, or be the member thats selling them!

Possible dying alternator?

Old 03-17-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eskimo10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible dying alternator?

Ok so here's my story. About a week and a half ago, my car starts acting up. The lights started to flicker and the CD player cut in and out. Well we replaced my battery b/c its been about 5 years and it was about time, and she ran fine after that for about a week or so. Well last night I was driving it to go get some dinner and my car starts actung up again. I have a pretty large sound system in my car, a 1600 watt amp, and two 700 watt rms 12" subs. Well the lights would flicker and dim when the subs hit, and then the CD player would cut out. And whenI went from high beams to low beams the CD player cut out. Is this due to a dying alternator? Or is there something else causing this? I check all my wires this week and the connections were all good, so I doubt its that. Thanks for all your input!

I also had the alternator tested, it pushes normal amos like 70 or 78 or whatever when the amp is off, but like 48 when the lights and amp are on. is this normal?

and more news. I went out today to the movies, and my car started right up and ran with no problems. But after the movie, I coudln't start it, I got no power anywhere. I got a jump and it ran fine except when I turn the lights on. When I turn my lights on the CD player cuts out. And now that I'm inside and the car is outside its dead. I don't know whats going on. Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-17-2007
Registered!!

nooboob is on a distinguished road
not sure, but sounds like it.

My alternator died out on my 02 LX at 55,000 miles or so.

Complete BS because I'm not running ANY aftermarket ICE besides my cd deck. After hearing some crazy "whirring" noise coming from the engine, I took it to a shop who determined it was the alternator. Got it fixed, and it was gone.
Old 03-18-2007
Registered!!

Ok well the alternator keeps the car running when its unhooked from the battery, however I cannot start the car without getting a jump or rolling it and popping the clutch. Also, if i have the radio/cd player on and i turn the lights on the cd player cuts out.
Old 03-20-2007
Registered!!

Re: Possible dying alternator?

yup that was it. a new alternator and we're good to go.