Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Poor acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Poor acceleration

hello everyone I have a 04 civic ex, have always been a truck guy, but bought this for fuel mileage. I don't know much about the car world but around 1-2k rpm I feel like there is poor acceleration ? 92k miles just replaced spark plugs, air filter. Does anyone have a solution maybe ? Could it be o2 sensors ? I don't have any cel's. The rpm needle jumps very low rpms (1-2k) when slightly pressing the gas pedal around town( maybe does it once a week), but when you press the pedal more it doesn't do it anymore.
Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

Mikeyyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Poor acceleration

1.7 engine making 127 hp isn't gonna accelerate much from those speeds.
Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

That's what I was figuring, I just wanted to see. I come from a delete diesel Cummins making about 500hp, 1k torque.
Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

Anyone know what could cause the rpms to jump between 1-2k ? Only at little acceleration and only so often.
Old 04-17-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Newbie Civic
Anyone know what could cause the rpms to jump between 1-2k ? Only at little acceleration and only so often.
Automatic or manual transmission? Possibly the speed sensor is intermittently faulty?Record of when/mileage the valves were last adjusted? Record of timing belt replacement? You might want to do a power balance test + compression test.

As Mikey stated not much acceleration from 1 to 2k rpms. These 1.7L engnes are pretty ball-less when it comes to torque.
Old 05-14-2017
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You can look into cleaning your throttle body and IACV. Put some Berryman B-12 or Sea foam in your gas tank and through your intake.

Then do an idle/ecu relearn.

Here's the fuse
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...reset-ecu.html

Last edited by nsrhonda89; 05-14-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

If you can try finding someone with the same car and take it for a test drive to verify if it is specific to your vehicle.