Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Honda Civic LX 2001 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael Corichi is an unknown quantity at this point
Honda Civic LX 2001 Won't Start

Went to go start my car this morning to pick up some oil to give it a change since the weather has been nice and it just died on me so to speak. Car turned over as normal went to start then sputtered and stalled out. I tried again and all I get now is a whirring sound. It sounds like the starter is fine and the engine turns over but it won't start. My uncle said it could possibly be a lack of spark or maybe a fuel issue? Car was working just fine prior to this, never issues starting up, thought battery was going last weekend but i came to find out the cable was just loose and i didnt have a solid connection. And now this. I attached a video, if anyone could please shed some light on this or a direction so i know if this is a self fix or a mechanics job. Thanks in advanced!
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Car wont start1.wmv (1.45 MB, 15 views)
File Type: wmv
Car wont start2.wmv (1.37 MB, 52 views)
Old 02-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Honda Civic LX 2001 Won't Start

Sounds like it's just flooded. .....but make sure it didn't lunch the timing belt.

If flooded, the spark plugs should be soaking wet with gasoline.
Wet plugs can't fire, and more fuel keeps getting pumped in each time you crank it.
A flooded engine can be hell to get started again.
When you have to get a flooded engine started, hold the gas pedal to the floor before you turn the key--- and keep it on the floor the entire time you crank it.

Get a charger on the battery first. A weak battery just makes this more difficult.

Assuming it is JUST flooded due to circumstances or operator error and nothing else is wrong
Dry the cylinders out and dry or replace the plugs (wet plugs won't fire), disable fuel injection and crank several times with spark plugs removed to try to expel raw fuel

Re-oil the cylinders so the rings can seal again and restore some compression, pour a couple tablespoons of engine oil through each of the spark plug holes
crank again with plugs left out to distribute that oil in the cylinders and to make sure excess oil is blown out and you won't bend connecting rods

(always lay a towel over the spark plug holes while cranking, this should help catch any liquids that come out of the spark plug holes ---to reduce messes)

Reinstall plugs.
Hold gas pedal flat to the floor during cranking (deflood mode, fuel is not injected) until you hear it try to fire. After it tries to fire you will have to use the gas pedal to work the fuel on and off until it will run on its own.

Deflood procedure can still take forever to work even when all is operating correctly.

Once it does run, get it out on the road and drive it until it's up to operating temperature. DO NOT shut it off until it's warmed up, that's what usually causes an engine to flood and not start.