Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

182 Point inspection checklish...BS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test1235 is an unknown quantity at this point
182 Point inspection checklish...BS?

HI guys,

Quick question for you all. less than one month ago, I bought a dealer certified pre owned 2013 Civic.

Today, I found out the battery needs to be replaced, less than one month after I bought it from them.

The battery is past warranty and, in my preliminary talks with them, they just tell me to buy a new one.

But I was curious if how much any of you knew about their certification process and if they botched one of the steps. I feel like they should have caught this battery issue.

For example, they say they do a 12 volt battery (condition and load test) - step 121 of the checklist.

Overall, I'd just feel like I got ripped off if I had to put a new battery in the car right after I bought it.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-21-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 182 Point inspection checklish...BS?

If the battery passed tests at the time of the 182 point check, it was good at that time.

When you took the car to your mechanic for your pre-purchase inspection, didn't he also check the battery? If it were bad at that time, your mechanic surely should have discovered it and brought it to your attention.

We can't predict the future.
Car batteries can die with very little or no warning, we see it happen all the time.

Does your certification checklist say if the battery is more than x years old it should be replaced?

Was that a "dealer certified used car" or "Honda Certified Used Car"?
Does your Honda Certified Used Car Warranty paperwork say it will cover the battery replacement?
Old 12-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test1235 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is a Honda Certified Used Car. There was nothing on the contract about the age of the battery.

So a condition on load test will indicate that a battery, which dies 3 weeks later, is fine at the time of testing?
Old 12-22-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

My 13s battery died at like 40 months ~ 37-40k miles.

Working fine, and I had my mechanic load test it & he declared it bad... and had him replace it. ( only tip off was, if I cranked the wheel too tight the headlights dimmed way down was the only clue)

Batteries used to last 5-7 years.... These days 3-4 years is norm.

I hate how you cannot easily pop the caps to examine electrolyte levels in the cells due to being blocked via terminals.
Old 12-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

So a condition on load test will indicate that a battery, which dies 3 weeks later, is fine at the time of testing?
A battery that passed tests yesterday may not pass tests today. They go bad. It happens.