Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Is it OK to use a 15400-PLM-A01 oil filter on my 2007 Civic

Old 09-22-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Is it OK to use a 15400-PLM-A01 oil filter on my 2007 Civic

Is it OK to use a 15400-PLM-A01 rather the 15400-PLM-A02 in my 2007 Honda Civic EX Coupe R18A1 1.8L Engine . Also in my 2005 CRV 2.4L 160HP I-NTEC 5 engine.

I order a special 6 pack on line and the dealer sent me 6. I did not really pay attention till I noticed when I got them that my last 2 I had are 15400-PLM-A02 . Did a little searching around and they both seem to be OK. However, the A01 has 8 outer small inlet holes and the A02 has 10 much larger inlet holes. Would this affect oil flow in my newer larger engines.

This guy compares them but do not really say what years are applicable.

Thanks guys...
Old 09-22-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is it OK to use a 15400-PLM-A01 oil filter on my 2007 Civic

Screw that sucker on, it's fine. The numbers are interchangeable, only real difference is the maker.

Honda uses 2 main filter makers, FILTECH and HONEYWELL.
15400-PLM-A02 is made by Honeywell
15400-PLM-A01 is made by Filtech.

Sometimes I think the only reason my store can keep oil filters in stock for Hondas is because they are pretty much one size fits all.
Old 09-23-2016
Registered!!

Thanks Ezone, How bought a offbrand question. Been looking at new cars for the Grandaughter. Of course, wife thinks 100K is it and she is 10K over due. She had kicked the Fit to the curb while back with it too low, small and cheap entiour. The HRV was to down in a box that she could not see over the hood. The CRV 2 wheel drive was maybe a keeper but she cannot stand the smell of leather and that is the only way to get accident auto braking. Not to mention, dealer wants $2000 still above NADA. Last time, I walked away, he did say he would order me one at NADA but not sell me one off the lot at that. So, pretty much, right now, we have written off the Honda dealer. (His service center also poked a pin hole in the 07 Civic axle boot last oil change, so I no longer trust them. Same Priority Owner at Toyota dealer unhooked my neaurtal safety swith on my transmission on my 4x4 Toyota when I told him I would take car of battery (I never ask them to check it even)

Any way, RIP 's girlfriend said Subaru Crosstrek is a good car. I hate another brand in my stable but what do you think about their 4x4 system, auto transmission and that strange flat 4 boxer engine. It does have a chain now. The tier two has the accident brake system for $2K option. Appears to be around $26K ..getting up there for a small SUV for my taste but whatever...
Old 09-25-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

but what do you think about their
No clue here.
Old 01-15-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm curios to know.? does Honda use these oil filters filtech/Honeywell
on a synthetic oil change? and how many miles are they good for.?
I cant see them going anymore than 7,000 usa miles am I wrong?
Old 01-15-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Unless changed in 2016 models....8th & 9th call for a new filter every other OCI, if you ran MM to 15% x2 that would be a lot of miles.
Old 01-15-2017

Originally Posted by brags
I'm curios to know.? does Honda use these oil filters filtech/Honeywell
on a synthetic oil change?
Is a "synthetic" oil change physically different from a "regular" oil change?

For that matter, what difference does the oil type make? Why should the filter care about that?

More fiber in the diet makes one more regular than the other? Better get extra filters for that one.

(Actual answer: I screw the blue filters on just about any engine they will fit, and they will fit more than just Hondas.)
and how many miles are they good for.?
Until you decide to remove it.
I cant see them going anymore than 7,000 usa miles am I wrong?
Yes.

What would cause an oil filter to become ineffective, or stop working? (assuming no mechanical or design failure of the filter)

An arbitrary mileage figure is not the answer.

Why would a filter care about miles?
Does it expire, does it go bad and....curdle like milk in the refrigerator 3 days after the expiration date?
(I use that metaphor for the people who absolutely must get their oil changed at 3000 miles on the dot, panic if they go beyond that number)

How would any of this apply to a gasoline engine that uses no oil filter at all?
Old 01-15-2017

Originally Posted by ezone
Is a "synthetic" oil change physically different from a "regular" oil change?

For that matter, what difference does the oil type make? Why should the filter care about that?

More fiber in the diet makes one more regular than the other? Better get extra filters for that one.

(Actual answer: I screw the blue filters on just about any engine they will fit, and they will fit more than just Hondas.)
Until you decide to remove it.
Yes.

What would cause an oil filter to become ineffective, or stop working? (assuming no mechanical or design failure of the filter)

An arbitrary mileage figure is not the answer.

Why would a filter care about miles?
Does it expire, does it go bad and....curdle like milk in the refrigerator 3 days after the expiration date?
(I use that metaphor for the people who absolutely must get their oil changed at 3000 miles on the dot, panic if they go beyond that number)

How would any of this apply to a gasoline engine that uses no oil filter at all?

Not beating anyone up, but My Question was regarding if Honda was using
there Honda oil filters on a synthetic oil change? theres people that I know
that do there own oil/filter changes using "Honda oil filters" on there Honda that "
use there own extended oil other than Hondas oil " thinking they can go 10.000 usa
miles or more on a Honda oil filter I don't think that is possible

because theres very few oil filters out there that can go that distance safely
the one I use has a synthetic media built
in it that's designed to use with synthetic oil the max its
good for is around 7.500 usa miles. not that I'm a big fan of extended oil changes but I'm just
curious to know how well Hondas oil filters media is made is it synthetic media,? how many pleats?
whats the maximum miles
are they compatible if using synthetic oil ? or are they made to use only on semi-synthetic oil

I mean if there only
good to use with Hondas mineral oil than they should be off the car at 3,000 miles just like
any other cheap through away filter theres a reason why oil filters are made in such away
Old 01-15-2017

My Question was regarding if Honda was using
there Honda oil filters on a synthetic oil change?
No. One filter for all.

thinking they can go 10.000 usa
miles or more on a Honda oil filter I don't think that is possible
A few drivers who follow the minder and suggested services by the book could go 25,000 miles or more on one filter.

Or ignore the maintenance minder reminder messages completely: Hell, I see people go 20k on oil changes on a regular basis already, what's a few more?
(K engines seem to suffer from this more than others though, timing chain problems)

because theres very few oil filters out there that can go that distance safely
What would make a filter become 'unsafe'?

the one I use has a synthetic media built
in it that's designed to use with synthetic oil the max its
good for is around 7.500 usa miles.
So your oil and filter choices would not hold up to Hondas suggested maintenance schedule on a simple plain-Jane 2001 Civic.

If you have a chance, look up a 2001 Civic (USA) owners manual, find the suggested maintenance schedule in it.
Oil change every 10,000 miles. No filter.
Oil FILTER gets replaced every 20,000 miles.
Ordinary oil of 16 years ago. No synthetic.

I'm just
curious to know how well Hondas oil filters media is made is it synthetic media,? how many pleats?
I'm sure you can find where someone has already cut open the filters on the interwebz.

The # of pleats has little to do with filtration efficiency.
Particle size is what filtration is all about. The smaller the particles are that the filter can trap, the better the filter is. Simple.

are they compatible if using synthetic oil ? or are they made to use only on semi-synthetic oil
No difference, the filter doesn't care.

they should be off the car at 3,000 miles
3000? Very few people truly need 3000 mile oil changes. For the few that do, that's fine. Otherwise, it's a tremendous waste of valuable resources and money, and a huge source of pollution/contamination. Many used oil filters are never properly recycled---they wind up in landfills, leak oil, and contaminate soil and ground water.
through away filter
All of the filters are throw-away--- sooner or later.

==================================================

Honda uses 2 main filter makers, FILTECH and HONEYWELL.
Care to guess what company Honeywell owns?

The guys in these Fram videos are real engineers. They really do work at the company. You can tell they weren't picked for their charisma, charm, and good looks, to be on camera. Mr. Buckley is an esteemed member of a professional forum I participate in, he is quite dedicated to what he does.

I don't know why but this video doesn't want to automatically embed in the post....click it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=cttLaWepdL0#

If anyone cares, there's a 3rd video in this series:

Threads to check out:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/140-fuel-oil-cleaners-other-maintenance/351014-confused-about-oil-filters.html

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...ml#post4619277

Last edited by ezone; 01-15-2017 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2017

nice vids ezone

2001 civic 10.000 mile oil changes on mineral oil and 20.000 mile
oil filter changes.? that's a recipe for disaster especially as the car ages
if your driving conditions are all city stop"n go traffic or even combination
I just cant see it lasting.

have a listen to Edward Covington from WIX oil filters on what he says about
extended oil drain intervals and the importance of a good synthetic oil filter.
that can go the distance as well as the oil. and how driving condtions, and wear
play a roll on a engine and its oil filter over time as it ages. it realy is a interesting show to listen in.

http://www.tomrayconsulting.com/car_..._interview.mp3
Old 01-15-2017

Just for an example: this oil according to blackstone report can go well beyond 7500 usa miles
but if the oil filter don't match the mileage to use on your engine You should not use it IF Your
doing extended oil changes.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pennzoil ultra oil analisis.png
Views:	190
Size:	566.9 KB
ID:	89423  
Old 01-15-2017
Registered!!

My CRV calls for 10K oil change and calls for the above filters. So should be no problem. I have cut a few apart over the years. 10 K is nothing to them. I adjusted the valves at around 110K since I was getting a timing error on the cams and wanted to make sure timing chain had not stretched. Engine was clean and I have only changed the oil yearly from day one.

pictures here on post 21 https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...rror-code.html

Last edited by RIPSAW; 01-15-2017 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2017

nice vids ezone

2001 civic 10.000 mile oil changes on mineral oil and 20.000 mile
oil filter changes.? that's a recipe for disaster especially as the car ages
Doesn't seem to be a problem unless or until the engine consumes oil faster than the driver can refill it.

You know damn well most users don't ever open the hood and check the oil themselves.

if your driving conditions are all city stop"n go traffic or even combination
I just cant see it lasting.
Don't you think many people driving brand spanking new cars operate them it in those exact conditions? Shouldn't they have problems ....like immediately, before the first oil service interval??

Edward Covington
I googled that name....might not be the same person
http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/...-to-be/2231550

from WIX oil filters on what he says about
extended oil drain intervals and the importance of a good synthetic oil filter.
that can go the distance as well as the oil. and how driving condtions, and wear
I can't be sure of what you or anyone else is considering 'extended drain intervals'.
7500 miles is not an extended interval in my book.

Over the last 3 decades I've worked for some car manufacturers who stated 7500 mile intervals. 30. freeking. years. ago. This isn't anything new.

Lubrication technology has advanced exponentially over the last three decades, so everything should be vastly improved today----to the point the manufacturers weld the dang hoods shut from the factory.

Which brings us to Hondas Maintenance Minder.

The flexible nature of the maintenance minder calculation of oil life can vary the service intervals according to driving conditions....I've seen as early as 4000 miles, to over 12,000 miles depending on how the car is driven.

A low end of 4k miles seems like a step backwards from 7500 or 10k, no?

play a roll on a engine and its oil filter over time as it ages. it realy is a interesting show to listen in.

www.tomrayconsulting.com/car_doc_audio/edward_covington_interview.mp3
quote from the interview, "7000 miles". But our engines don't hold any more oil than they did before. The 2001 Civic engine with the 10k interval only took 3.5 ish quarts during an oil change.

Re. the interview, the guy is a VP and his money depends on selling filters.

The idea of a special high mileage filter is marketing genius, and IMO there's a lot of BS involved.
Many people who grew up hearing and believing the 3000 mile oil change fallacy that's been pounded into their heads by the JIZZy Lube oil change industry THEIR ENTIRE LIVES would spend a couple bucks more on a "mega super ultra heavy duty oil filter" that will definitely last twice as long as a 3000 mile filter. So they sell higher priced filters to people, when the same old cheapie filter that went 7500-10,000 miles several years ago would have been just fine.

Again: At what point does an oil filter go bad, and why?

Just for an example: this oil according to blackstone report can go well beyond 7500 usa miles
but if the oil filter don't match the mileage to use on your engine You should not use it IF Your
doing extended oil changes.
But 7500 is not an extended oil change at all.

---------------------------------------------

My own thoughts:

I don't always recommend following the maintenance minder, nor the printed service intervals. There's a bit of my own judgement that goes into filling out an oil change reminder sticker before I stick it to a customers windshield.

-------------------------

I have been changing oil AND FILTER on my own Civic at 5k intervals.
(FYI our shop changes the filter with every oil change, we won't do "oil only" unless someone makes a point of specifically requesting it)

My Harley gets an oil and filter change every spring.

My truck might get oil changed whenever I feel like it, which might be 200 or 500 miles, or more, or less, or if I notice the oil turned black, because it has a lot of blow-by and stuck oil rings. Filter is not always replaced either, I have my reasons.

Some other family cars I take care of get the filter replaced with every other oil change.

------------------------------------

Cold engine operation, short trip driving, and blow-by can lead to fuel dilution of the oil, and sufficient dilution can cause lubrication problems in just about any engine. New oils might be able to withstand a bit more of this than oils of yesteryear, but it's still not good for any engine no matter how new or old. A filter cannot protect against oil dilution.

When you say "wear", I think back to engines of the 60s.....like the small block Chevy engines that ate some cam lobes and lifters at 60k, timing gears at 75k, and wore the cylinder walls out (because of high tension rings) by 100k, need a valve job by that time too. Many components that slide under high pressures and create high shear forces in the oil, no roller valvetrains back then.
Ever had to cut a ridge out of each cylinder to get the pistons out? I own a ridge reamer and have used it, BUT I haven't ever seen nor had to do that to any modern engine.

Assuming regular oil service intervals, no neglect, and typically pertaining only to the first couple hundred thousand miles:
The main issue with engine age IMO isn't really wear so much as it is oil consumption (usually due to sticking oil control rings), and we all know that a lack of lubrication oil leads to extreme wear and can be disastrous. Otherwise, wear doesn't seem to be as prevalent as it was back in the olden days--- as long as someone can keep the oil full.

There are always exceptions, Honda is certainly not immune to issues. Hondas K20 and K24 engines seem to suffer timing chain wear rather prematurely when following the minder suggestions, so that's one I will typically suggest more frequent oil changes on.

IMO some manufacturers still just build some crap, the best oil and care in the world can't help some of their problems. LBVS

Last edited by ezone; 01-15-2017 at 05:44 PM.