Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Does Honda recommend using one oil filter over two oil change intervals?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
Does Honda recommend using one oil filter over two oil change intervals?

I am looking in my 98 Civic owners manual, and it appears (on page 146) in the schedule for normal driving, that they recommend changing oil every 7500 miles, and the filter every 15,000 miles---which must mean using one filter for the two 7500 mile oil change intervals.

Is this the proper interpretation of that chart? And if so, has anyone come across an actual statement from Honda about this---why they would make this recommendation?

FWIW, under the severe schedule, they recommend changing both oil and filter every 3750 miles.
Old 06-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does Honda recommend using one oil filter over two oil change intervals?

Locate a manual for a much newer Honda with the Maintenance Minder system, compare the difference between an "A" service and a "B" service. Much the same as what you read.

Filters are fairly cheap. Almost everyone is willing to pay for a new one with their oil change.
Old 06-23-2016
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

I love the note in there that says if your a Canadian owner go directly to severe conditions maintenance schedule (do not pass go).
Old 06-23-2016
prr
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Locate a manual for a much newer Honda with the Maintenance Minder system, compare the difference between an "A" service and a "B" service. Much the same as what you read.

Filters are fairly cheap. Almost everyone is willing to pay for a new one with their oil change.
Do you mean "locateD"? As in, you did locate another one? Or were you recommending that I do this?

As far as the cost of filters, I agree they are cheap. They are cheaper than the oil that is going into the sump, that's for sure.

The reason why I brought this up wasn't to save money. In fact, the only filters I have seen that I would trust to go two OCIs, are actually at least twice the price of a stock filter, so it isn't to save money. The point of the "two oci, one filter" approach is the theory that oil filters get better over time. And if Honda has been recommending this, then that sounds like they accept that theory as true.
Old 06-23-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

He was telling you to find one to use as reference.
Old 06-23-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The reason why I brought this up wasn't to save money.
I kinda think that's the entire premise for Honda.

In fact, the only filters I have seen that I would trust to go two OCIs,
I'd do it with just about any filter. Sometimes I change JUST the oil because I'm damn lazy.
Old 06-23-2016
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I change JUST the oil because I'm damn lazy.
Yep, me too. Pretty much the mindset of, "dammit.. I don't wanna reach up there and have to clean up oil that spills out of this thing. Stupid location for an oil filter. Screw it, you're staying," for me.
Old 06-24-2016
prr
Registered!!

The 2005 Civic owner's manual has a 10K mile OCI for normal driving, and a 20K filter change interval.

Man I can't believe that they are recommending stock oil filters going 20,000 miles (or one year, whichever comes first). Fram sells a stock Extra Guard filter for that car.
Old 06-24-2016
prr
Registered!!

I found a thread in another forum after searching this question:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/3105876/3

The first post claims to be a summary of a conversation with a guy who oversaw the equipment at a Honda plant in Ohio, on this issue.

Last edited by prr; 06-24-2016 at 08:22 AM.