Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

'02 civic gas gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaejb15 is an unknown quantity at this point
'02 civic gas gone bad?

Hey everyone
So I have had a 2002 civic coupe in storage for almost a year now, with it being started up and driven a bit twice a week. The gas tank is about 3/4 full, and the gas is almost one year old (no fuel stabilizer added at the time). Do you think that I should get the gas tank drained, or should just top it up with 94 octane and let it run through? It has been in a underground lot so no temperature changes, do you think the gas is still fine to be used?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: '02 civic gas gone bad?

if it starts and drives...
if it sputters or other things, fill as soon as you can?
if not, fill as soon as it gets into 1/4?

a year should be fine
Old 07-26-2015
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

syphon about a gallon out and look at it and smell it,

i had gas go bad in a boat before, and it looked totally different, it looked a little bit white in color, hard to explain but you should be able to see the difference,

if it is bad i would syphon as much out as possible and fill up with good gas, you can also try using one of those gas additives that remove any possible water from your tank
Old 07-26-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Only a year of sitting, I would not expect any issues at all. You say it starts and runs, so go drive it until the tank is empty and then fill with fresh regular fuel, go on about your business.

I have let my truck sit up to 5 years and ran it with no real problems other than a little down on power.......
Old 07-27-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda200192 is an unknown quantity at this point

I went on an lds mission for 2 years and the gas in my truck i left behind was still good. 1 year is nothing. Your fine buddy. Just drive and have fun 😀