Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

05 Civic P1457 code

Old 07-11-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic15 is an unknown quantity at this point
05 Civic P1457 code

My 05 Civic had it's emission light come on and go off a few times, but finally came on and has stayed on for a couple months, and being the procrastinator that I am, I haven't addressed it until now.. when I need an inspection.

I just had a friend use their code checker/clearer on it, they cleared the code and said it was P1457, and that there were two of them? (having not used a code checker before, and having not done it today, I don't know if that means there were two codes, but only 1457 showed, or that it's 2 issues that 1457 covers? or what..)

The car has 188k, I've had it since 138k, my 04 Civic had an air to fuel ratio sensor replaced around 140k, I assumed that would be the culprit on this car.

EVAP 2-way bypass valve, is what my limited googling has turned up for the code, but just thought I'd throw it out on this forum and see if any of you know for sure, or if it commonly is one thing more than the other.

Also, if it's something I can do for myself. The garage I go to has already said they won't do anything with just a code, they would strongly suggest having it diagnosed for $80, and I'd really rather not spend $80 to find out what I already know, that perhaps that valve just has to be replaced.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
Old 07-12-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 05 Civic P1457 code

Search the forum for the code number, there can be several possible causes.

CVS valve is probably the more common failure IMO, I have seen them sticking, leaking, or rusting apart and leaking externally.

Pics of one canister assembly removed from the car, sealed and tested using approximately 1 PSI pressure. CVS valve that was rusted and leaking externally is evidenced by the soap bubbles:

Name:  MfQguaL.jpg
Views: 10074
Size:  769.0 KB

Name:  ppMXS55.jpg
Views: 10169
Size:  800.8 KB
Old 07-12-2015
Registered!!

Thank you. Where is that in the engine bay?
Old 07-12-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The charcoal canister, CVS, bypass, and FTP sensor are all under the car near the gas tank and drivers side rear wheel.

Last edited by ezone; 12-20-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-20-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The charcoal canister, CVS, bypass, and FTP sensor are all under the car near the gas tank. Just forward of the gas tank and drivers side rear wheel.
Can you get to it by just backing onto little ramps used for oil changes and using a creeper? Or is this more a job for a lift?
Old 12-20-2015

Stick your head under the edge of the car and look for this

(Google image search gave me the pictures I took of the leaking valve while looking for this one LOL)

If you are young and agile, it can be accessed laying on your back. Raise the car however you wish, just be safe about it.

(I'm lazy and have a knee that bothers me, I want to use a hoist for everything. I'll raise a car in the air just to check tire pressures.)

If you do decide the CVS is the problem, you should attempt to remove the screws holding it to the canister. They like to seize and not come out, many end up getting the canister replaced along with the valve.

Canister is held in with a single bolt. Disconnect a bunch of hoses and wires and it can drop down for access.
Old 04-22-2017
Registered!!

Browns149 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a 2005 civic VP. It has the p1457 code. I went to auto zone. They told me it was the purge valve. I replaced it. It didn't fix the problem. I went back to auto zone. And the same code keeps coming up. How can I fix it if they won't tell me what's wrong
Old 04-22-2017

It didn't fix the problem. I went back to auto zone. And the same code keeps coming up. How can I fix it if they won't tell me what's wrong
DangerZone can't fix cars. They won't even hire a person if they know much about cars.

The ONLY reason they check codes (FREE) for people is as a means to sell more parts.

Diagnosing a problem means pointed testing and inspection, not just reading codes and printing a shopping list for you to purchase.
Old 05-05-2017
Registered!!

I had a smoke test done today. It showed no leaks in the system. They tested the system and both valves on the canister failed once and the one valve failed numerous times. Honda sells the bundle pack, both valves and canister for around $500.

Can I just replace both valves without the canister?
Old 05-05-2017

Honda doesn't sell the canister with all of the valves/sensors together.
You have to buy each item individually and assemble it.

If Honda offers a kit, please post the part number.

You're in the salt/rust belt, the screws holding the CVS valve to the canister may not come out cleanly (they seize to the embedded nuts in the plastic canister shell), someone probably already knows this and included the canister in the estimate as well.

Old 05-06-2017
Registered!!

The guy at the shop was on the phone with somebody. He said they offer a "party pack" with the canister and the 2 valves. I thought he was talking to Honda, because they wanted the vin number of the car. He could have been talking to anyone, I guess.
Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

So I got all the parts from Rockauto. $130 for the canister and both valves. The only thing is I can't get the canister off.

How do you get the canister to off? It wiggles around but I can't seem to see anyway to get any tools around it. How is it attached to the car? There doesn't seem to be anything on the web that describes how to remove it
Old 05-11-2017
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

You can try following this guide. Make sure to disconnect all the hoses.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=771294
Old 05-11-2017

Crawl under there with a flashlight.
One single bolt (#47 in the parts diagram posted earlier), you need a 12mm socket on a long extension to reach it.

Remove bolt, canister will lower where that bolt was, then pull it towards the drivers side of the car and the rear (passengers side) end of the canister will slide out of a tab and drop free of its brackets.
Old 05-13-2017
Registered!!

I got the canister off. I replaced both valves and the canister. How long does it take for the check engine light to go off? Or should I disconnect the battery and reset the computer?
Old 05-13-2017

Disconnect battery is quickest if you dont have a code reader
Old 05-13-2017

Make sure you have the radio unlock code if it's got antitheft
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browns149
I got the canister off. I replaced both valves and the canister. How long does it take for the check engine light to go off? Or should I disconnect the battery and reset the computer?
Hi, I have this same code P1457. I replaced the Vapor Canister Vent Shut Valve on Sunday and the CEL came back on again today. Can you share your experience regarding this? Did the light come back on for you after you changed all three of these?
Old 09-19-2017
Registered!!

bulls2030 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bulls2030
Hi, I have this same code P1457. I replaced the Vapor Canister Vent Shut Valve on Sunday and the CEL came back on again today. Can you share your experience regarding this? Did the light come back on for you after you changed all three of these?
I mean to say I replaced the CVS only.