Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Troubleshoot Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Allecr3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Troubleshoot Help

I recently purchased an 03 civic ex coupe, has the d17a2. Here is the problem, it has trouble starting up initially. Sometimes I have to turn it over 3-5 times for extended periods before it will start. If I pump the gas pedal, you can hear it attempting to fire. When I get it to fire, it runs rough until I give it some throttle. After that, it runs like a dime, no idle issues, no loss of power. If I shut it down after it has been running, it will fire back up right away with no problem. If I let it sit for longer than 5 minutes, it gives me trouble starting again. I got the guys at the auto parts store to pull the engine codes, and I had a misfire in cyclinder 3, so I replaced the plugs. Also I had a code for engine coolant temp sensor. I proceeded to check the thermostat, which was gutted, so I replaced that as well. I believe I have eliminated possibly of fuel delivery issues by shooting some starter fluid into the intake, which made no difference in the starting issue. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 05-21-2015
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Troubleshoot Help

How does the starter sound when you crank it like that?
Old 05-21-2015
Registered!!

Sounds fine, nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 05-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Also I had a code for engine coolant temp sensor.
What was replaced to solve this code?

Side question: Is the radiator low, and the reservoir high?
Old 05-22-2015
Registered!!

I haven't replaced anything for that code yet. The radiator level was high as well as the reservoir.
Old 05-22-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allecr3
I haven't replaced anything for that code yet.
A misreporting ECT sensor can sure cause hard start and no start.