Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

Question about Rattling Catalytic Converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BootyDo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about Rattling Catalytic Converter

Hi All,

My GF lost the bottom heat shield of her catalytic converter this past winter and now we have a rattle. It's decent in park, but once she puts it in gear, the rattle begins each time she's stopped. I got under the car and put a board to the top of the shield to add pressure and make sure that's all it was. Check. But now I'm wondering if anyone has had experience in the past with resolving the rattle, (short of buying a new one. Not handy enough to swap a new one). I was thinking of buying some hose rings and wrapping pull the top shield tighter. But would the converter melt right through those things? I know they can handle hot duct work, etc, but what about something like this?

Any input is appreciated!
Old 05-08-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question about Rattling Catalytic Converter

I was thinking of buying some hose rings and wrapping pull the top shield tighter. But would the converter melt right through those things?
When you go to the parts store, call them hose clamps.
The steel clamps won't melt, I see them used frequently for this.

You need a huge clamp to wrap all the way around the cat and shield, or a couple smaller clamps can be connected together.

Wrap a tape measure around the cat and shield so you have an idea of how big the clamp needs to be.

HTH